Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 5,403 times

Advertisements

Who can tell me something about Sierra College, Rocklin. I am an international student?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 10:26 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
It's a city/community College - but from I hear it's the best one in the region...

I went to Sac city (which I hear is gangsta now) then graduated from Sac State (2000)

Old 03-02-2007, 12:00 PM

424 posts, read 2,696,336 times
I went to Sierra College for one semester many years ago. The area used to be really rural, but has been building up in the last few years. There are lots of stores and services available now. The college is very nice. It is not as rushed as Sacramento City College or even American River College. I believe it also is one of the few community colleges with on campus housing (or it used to anyway). I would highly recommend Sierra College over other community colleges.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:01 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,781,529 times
Sierra College is a great school, probably the best in the Sacramento area. Someone already mentioned the on campus housing, which would be great if you are coming from out of state or area.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:44 PM

168 posts, read 907,543 times
Thumbs up Sierra College is great.

I attended there and my daughter graduated from there and we both loved it. Very nice easy-going atmosphere, friendly students, and very good instructors.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:33 AM

23 posts, read 134,487 times
Thanks for all of your reply. I am chinastudent but my account was locked. I changed as Asianstudent. I am an international student from far away.

Please tell me how to choose if I study in computer science-web programming
1) Sierra College, Rocklin, CA 2) Diablo Valley College, CA
3) Skagit Valley College, WA

Thanks

Old 03-04-2007, 09:25 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,364 times
Well it would probably depend on where you want to live. Not exactly sure where the other ones are, but Sierra College has a very good computer sciences curriculum. I spent a few semesters there and in fact, met my husband there So I have some wonderful memories there

Old 03-05-2007, 05:01 AM

23 posts, read 134,487 times
Dear Guingirl and the other members,

I am a new user and thanks for your reply. I prefer Sierra because of its dorms.
1) Please tell me the disadvantage of living in dorms. I have no friends to
rent house at this moment therefore I live in dorms first.
2) please tell me which university is best to accept & transfer from Sierrra
College (computer science). This is not a famous school in China, not like
Foothill & Santa Monica
3) Please tell me how to check the city of Rocklin, about the crime, place to
go and shopping area and transportation
4) Sacramento Airport or San Francisco is the best one to Sierra College?

Thanks for your help

Old 03-05-2007, 05:41 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,781,529 times
1) Please tell me the disadvantage of living in dorms. I have no friends to
rent house at this moment therefore I live in dorms first.

The main disadvantages that would come to mind are fairly expensive for a small room.

2) please tell me which university is best to accept & transfer from Sierrra
College (computer science). This is not a famous school in China, not like
Foothill & Santa Monica

California public universities give a large preference to community college transfers. I am no expert, but I believe there is a deal where if you get over 3.0 and take all computer science courses then you can be automatically accepted into any california public university.
CSUs are less prestigious although Im sure will get you a good education. UCs have the added prestige, UC Berkeley, Davis, UCLA, Irvine, SAnta Cruz, and San Diego are the ones I would suggest. I am unsure of computer science programs, although Im sure they are good.

3) Please tell me how to check the city of Rocklin, about the crime, place to
go and shopping area and transportation

Rocklin is a great area, just a fairly quiet suburb of Sacramento. I dont know any sites, but im sure there are some.

4) Sacramento Airport or San Francisco is the best one to Sierra College?

Sacramento would be closer, although may be more expensive.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:35 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,364 times
Not sure about dorms but it would be the best place to start since you would be on campus.

You would be able to transfer all those units to any CSU college it the system, such as CSU Sacramento, Chico and I believe into the UC system, but that would be something you would want to talk to a counselor on campus for.

I would definately say that you would have a lot of convenience in Rocklin with retail and shopping that you would ever want.

You would probably fly into San Francisco directly, but you can take a flight for about 125.00 into Sacramento. You would just want to rent a car or something from Sacramento into Rocklin which is about 30 mins from airport to campus. Taxi would be kind of expensive (probably 60.00-80.00 American)

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento