Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 07:29 AM

9 posts, read 13,662 times

Advertisements

Please answer some questions for me ?Here is the sittutation Me and my spouse moved from sacremento about 10 years ago.We moved to a rural town in oklahoma and i dont like it.I am dieing to move back .But with economy being the way it is . Its hard to argue the fact it wouldnt be a smart move .but people seem to forget that this little town has not been effected because theirs nothing here .I work as a certified nurse aid /med aide. my husband is a truck driver he works for a concrete company driveing a mixer and we have four children . i think we can make it i realy need to known if their is any kinda work for these trades am i crazy for wanting to move back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 01:52 PM

2,482 posts, read 3,223,072 times
Sacto has lots of jobs in nursing. Not so much in construction right now.
The big question is can you afford to move back? Will you have rent and food money to last six months while you look for work?
And no you're not crazy!! Good luck!

Old 06-27-2011, 05:54 AM

885 posts, read 1,487,348 times
Your not crazy.....if you are so am I. I moved from Woodland to Florida(hated it) to Maine where I grew up. I don't seem to fit in anywhere but California. I am a machinist and also have my class A CDL. I have been looking for jobs and it seems they are mostly in Socal. San Diego/LA. Not much blue collar work near sacto. I hope to return this fall or next spring. One thing that may help me is that I am over 55 so can get senior housing.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:20 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,174,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
Your not crazy.....if you are so am I. I moved from Woodland to Florida(hated it) to Maine where I grew up. I don't seem to fit in anywhere but California. I am a machinist and also have my class A CDL. I have been looking for jobs and it seems they are mostly in Socal. San Diego/LA. Not much blue collar work near sacto. I hope to return this fall or next spring. One thing that may help me is that I am over 55 so can get senior housing.
Your situation is nothing like the OPs and you are giving her false hope> You do not have a job, you just posted you might possibly have one, you have your CDL and you are over 55 so certainly do not have 4 kids to support.

The OP, at best would need to start applying for jobs in the Sac area right now, be prepared for the rent she will need to pay for a large enough home, in a decent school district and her husband has almost no chance of getting a decent job at this time. OK, where she lives (whether she likes it or not) has a very strong economy. Add to that, even though there may be nursing jobs available the competition is fierce and nurses aide jobs are not the same.

I wish you luck, I hope OP can return to Ca like she hopes, but right now, yes, she is crazy to even think about it. Her number 1 concern has to be feeding four kids.

Nita

Old 06-27-2011, 03:05 PM

491 posts, read 1,256,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookgirls4 View Post
Please answer some questions for me ?Here is the sittutation Me and my spouse moved from sacremento about 10 years ago.We moved to a rural town in oklahoma and i dont like it.I am dieing to move back .But with economy being the way it is . Its hard to argue the fact it wouldnt be a smart move .but people seem to forget that this little town has not been effected because theirs nothing here .I work as a certified nurse aid /med aide. my husband is a truck driver he works for a concrete company driveing a mixer and we have four children . i think we can make it i realy need to known if their is any kinda work for these trades am i crazy for wanting to move back?
Right now, you might want to check out Texas, especially Houston. Sacramento is not as forgiving right now for people without jobs as it used to be.

I'm originally from Houston, and my relatives tell me that there are jobs there now, although maybe lower paying, but cost of living is lower too. I think you are saying that you are a CNA and I know there are positions open in Houston at nursing homes, etc.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:32 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,682,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookgirls4 View Post
There are positions as Medical Assistants available. The UC Davis Health System has 3 open positions posted now in the Sacramento area. There is a lot of competition for every position right now because so many people are unemployed. There are probably positions as truck drivers available as well. Have you checked the job ads in the on-line version of the Sacramento Bee?

Old 07-04-2011, 11:55 AM

4 posts, read 6,774 times
cookgirls4, at this time, I would stay where you are at and here is the reason, you both have income, housing, schools, and live in a state that is stronger with less crime! I'm in the North Sac, with the spending cuts of the fire and police, the crime is going up, I am already seeing the lawlessness of people. Jobs did go down to the southern part of CA, and it is very hard to get a job, I've been looking for 2yrs. The Schools you would really have to look into, I'm in the Twins River School District and my child was going to one of the best charter school in the district, I pulled him out and now I homeschool him because the schooling was that bad, the district will make sure you can not go to another district. From all of this, we are looking to leave California. I'm not writing this to scare you, I'm informing what we are experiencing in this area of Sacramento. If you do decide to move back, really do your homework in the area.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:06 AM

9 posts, read 13,662 times
Thanks for all your reply i have restarted my job search and things look great .so we are gonna go for it in sept we have a couple of people willing to hire out of the local office here in oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento