Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:33 PM

13 posts, read 23,005 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this request has been asked a million times in this forum, but I can't find a "search" feature to find them.

We're transplanting from Seattle to Sacramento, and we have two dogs - tiny and medium (well, tall but skinny). Ideally we would like a house with a bit of yard where neighbors aren't jammed right next door (like new housing developments in suburbs).

We own two homes and ONLY rent to dog owners - but we know this won't be easy to find elsewhere. Wondering how you dog-loving renters managed to work your magic? I've looked at Craigslist and property management sites but so far all I can find are places that accept "one small dog."

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,248,183 times
Wilton is south of Sacramento with 2-5 acre lots.
Everything else is jammed close. Barking dogs are usually not welcome in any 'hood. Good luck!

Old 06-23-2011, 06:00 PM

13 posts, read 23,005 times
Thanks - show me a dog that doesn't bark and I'll show you ... a cat, I guess! Will check out Wilton, merci.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:27 PM

466 posts, read 1,062,390 times
Why do everybody expect that dogs don't bark? Cats meow pretty loud too, I know because I can hear them quite often in my neighborhood. My dog hard ever barks, she is trained very well. And small dogs are often much more vocal than big dogs and still they are preferred by landlord. Make me always wonder.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:38 PM

577 posts, read 1,759,098 times
I posted in a similar thread , I have 3 dogs but moved with 2 a few times. It was tougher in Sacramento to find places but if you move out to the foothills ,it's easier. The last 2 places i lived, I found on craigslist. I'd recommend Loomis, Auburn, Newcastle,penryn, Shingle Springs, Orangevale, Granite Bay. Sometimes putting "horse" or "horse property" in the search helps you find animal friendly , more rural rentals. It's tough to find when you don't live here though. These places go fast and you need to call and go look the first couple days they are listed. I've had good luck once I go and look and have offered to bring my dogs to meet them for a followup visit. Don't mention multiple dogs when you call though... in fact if the ad doesnt say no pets.. don't say anything until they meet you and like you, then say you have two well behaved dogs ( assuming they are! ) Also be willing to pay a pet deposit , the place I'm at now I pay $15 a month on top of my rent just for my dogs but that still only puts my rent at $735. It's possible and everyone always asks me "how do you find these places?" but you just have to be diligent and not in a hurry to move. With your situation you may have to settle for an apt that allows dogs, go month to month and plan on finding a place once you get here and can look .

Old 07-02-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine728 View Post
I posted in a similar thread , I have 3 dogs but moved with 2 a few times. It was tougher in Sacramento to find places but if you move out to the foothills ,it's easier. The last 2 places i lived, I found on craigslist. I'd recommend Loomis, Auburn, Newcastle,penryn, Shingle Springs, Orangevale, Granite Bay. Sometimes putting "horse" or "horse property" in the search helps you find animal friendly , more rural rentals. It's tough to find when you don't live here though. These places go fast and you need to call and go look the first couple days they are listed. I've had good luck once I go and look and have offered to bring my dogs to meet them for a followup visit. Don't mention multiple dogs when you call though... in fact if the ad doesnt say no pets.. don't say anything until they meet you and like you, then say you have two well behaved dogs ( assuming they are! ) Also be willing to pay a pet deposit , the place I'm at now I pay $15 a month on top of my rent just for my dogs but that still only puts my rent at $735. It's possible and everyone always asks me "how do you find these places?" but you just have to be diligent and not in a hurry to move. With your situation you may have to settle for an apt that allows dogs, go month to month and plan on finding a place once you get here and can look .
Thank you Jasmine, that is great information. I talk to my husband when he comes home tomorrow and see what he things about it.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:01 PM

577 posts, read 1,759,098 times
When are you moving ? And do you have jobs here and need to be a certain proximity?

here's one in West Sac... may or may not be a good area.. that's why you need to be here to look.
I put "house country" in the search and dollar amounts so you can find within your range.

Open House 6/30 4-7 PM Cute 2br/1ba house on acrage, close to downtown (http://sacramento.craigslist.org/apa/2466270847.html - broken link)

Here's another in Loomis.. it's actually with a property management company so maybe contact them as they seem to be working with pet friendly rentals. I put in $600-900 as that is the price points that kagicre was hoping for... putting in higher dollar amounts will open up a lot more...

Laird Street - 2 bed/ 1 bath house - Available now! (http://sacramento.craigslist.org/apa/2470663374.html - broken link)

I'm not recommending either of these as you really have to go look.... just showing that it is possible to find rentals. You can check the "dog" box on craigslist but many landlords don't put that in so I wouldnt rule out any that don't specifically say "no Pets" good luck!

Old 07-02-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine728 View Post
When are you moving ? And do you have jobs here and need to be a certain proximity?

here's one in West Sac... may or may not be a good area.. that's why you need to be here to look.
I put "house country" in the search and dollar amounts so you can find within your range.

Open House 6/30 4-7 PM Cute 2br/1ba house on acrage, close to downtown (http://sacramento.craigslist.org/apa/2466270847.html - broken link)

Here's another in Loomis.. it's actually with a property management company so maybe contact them as they seem to be working with pet friendly rentals. I put in $600-900 as that is the price points that kagicre was hoping for... putting in higher dollar amounts will open up a lot more...

Laird Street - 2 bed/ 1 bath house - Available now! (http://sacramento.craigslist.org/apa/2470663374.html - broken link)

I'm not recommending either of these as you really have to go look.... just showing that it is possible to find rentals. You can check the "dog" box on craigslist but many landlords don't put that in so I wouldnt rule out any that don't specifically say "no Pets" good luck!
Thanks Jasmine, I just had a look on craigslist and was surprised that I could find in our price range quite a few. We want to move mid August or September. My husband works for Schneider as a truck driver, so that isn't an issue finding work at the moment. Thanks again for all the effort you did for me.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:07 PM

Now I can't decide between Sacramento and St. Louis. St. Louis seem to be more affordable, but my husband only drives through it so now and than as a truck driver and I have never been there. We can't just visit and have a look, our dog is a bit timid towards stranger and putting her in boarding would be just to much stress, for her. So going across country is a bit scary and we moved around quite a bit (Huntington Beach, CA, Las Vegas, Tulsa, Portland, Rockaway Beach) that we just want to move one more time and than stay put!!!
We have been to Sacramento before, just for a day, and liked it, but can we afford it? We don't want to spent more than 30% of our monthly income on housing, that would be about 800 dollars for a rental. St. Louis seems cheaper, but can you find a rental around 700 dollars in a safe neighborhood? I just don't know and we want to move at the end of the month.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:32 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracybelle2 View Post
I'm sure this request has been asked a million times in this forum, but I can't find a "search" feature to find them.

We're transplanting from Seattle to Sacramento, and we have two dogs - tiny and medium (well, tall but skinny). Ideally we would like a house with a bit of yard where neighbors aren't jammed right next door (like new housing developments in suburbs).

We own two homes and ONLY rent to dog owners - but we know this won't be easy to find elsewhere. Wondering how you dog-loving renters managed to work your magic? I've looked at Craigslist and property management sites but so far all I can find are places that accept "one small dog."

Thanks!
These are some of my favorite resources for finding rentals.

http://www.sacrentals.com
Sacramento rental house for rent Sacramento rentals home for lease property management Folsom managers renting leasing rental property Mckinley Park East Sacramento Midtown grid, Landpark , Folson, Elk Grove, Roseville, duplex, condo and apartment reSacramento rental house for rent Sacramento rentals home for lease property management Folsom managers renting leasing rental property Mckinley Park East Sacramento Midtown grid, Landpark , Folson, Elk Grove, Roseville, duplex, condo and apartment re

http://www.tomatopages.com/folsomforum
Tomato Pages Forums - Greater Sacramento area

how do you create a website link here???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento