U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 15,329 times

Advertisements

First time post - I am thinking of moving to Rocklin and can't decide if Rocklin HS or Whitney HS is best? keep reading negative things about both. Really really want to avoid any snobby, elitism type of stuff i read about.

Whitney sounded like there may be crime/bullying issues and that students posted they didn't feel prepared for college.

I read Rocklin HS is snobby, teachers read, sports focus etc etc...

Also drugs were mentioned at both schools.

On the other hand i can't find any negative posts about Woodcreek High school in West Roseville....would you pick woodcreek over rocklin?

Any input would be greatly appreciated...this is agonizing decision!

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 12:46 PM

405 posts, read 1,210,718 times
Wow... nobody responded here? Well, my kids aren't old enough but here's my two cents. Rocklin is considered a 'high end' community. Not like Granite Bay, but next in line. So, you're going to find educated, professional parents and that means higher incomes. You can't avoid the snob factor at any of the schools you mentioned. Even Woodcreek has kids that live in expensive homes. Locals have told me the Granite Bay area is problematic with 'rich' kids... but I don't think you'll see that much in Rocklin. Wealthy or well off... sure.

As for crime...? I don't see that at either school. Not sure where you moved from but, unless it's Beverly Hills, I can't see you being that disappointed. My bigger concern would be finding a house in Rocklin... because there isn't a ton of availability.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:50 PM

8 posts, read 15,074 times
I went to Rocklin High School, and yes it's filled with 'snobs'. Whitney was built because RHS got too big, so you just have a run off of more 'snobby' families. I didn't see much crime. Rarely saw a fight. Drugs are going to be mentioned at any and every high school. It's just a fact. Rocklin is very sports focused. It would depend on what kind of kids you have. If they're into sports, go for Rocklin. Theatre kids would be more comfortable at a school like Mesa Verde.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:53 PM

169 posts, read 626,841 times
I am not sure whether Rocklin High schools have the AP and IB programs but Granite Bay High has those.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:08 AM

2,621 posts, read 2,903,465 times
In general, Rocklin high schools are better than Roseville's.
If you ask anyone who went there, Del Oro (Loomis) and Granite Bay are better still. But Granite Bay is still part of the Roseville school district.
Woodcreek does have a bit of a drug problem - in the white middle class suburban kid sense of the word. Roseville High school is more sports focused of the 4. Don't know too much about Oakmont even though I've live in their boundary for 8 months.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:33 PM

169 posts, read 626,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
In general, Rocklin high schools are better than Roseville's.
If you ask anyone who went there, Del Oro (Loomis) and Granite Bay are better still. But Granite Bay is still part of the Roseville school district.
Woodcreek does have a bit of a drug problem - in the white middle class suburban kid sense of the word. Roseville High school is more sports focused of the 4. Don't know too much about Oakmont even though I've live in their boundary for 8 months.
Granite Bay HS is in the Roseville Joint High School district. I think you need to live in East Roseville or Granite Bay in order to attend GB High.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 AM

2,621 posts, read 2,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsky View Post
Granite Bay HS is in the Roseville Joint High School district. I think you need to live in East Roseville or Granite Bay in order to attend GB High.
Yep. My last place was in Roseville, but Eureka Union elementary district and GB high school. I think all Eureka Union schools feed Granite Bay, and only GB, but none of the Roseville Unified do.

Most of Rosevile east of Rocky Ridge feeds GB - except the area south of Maidu and west of Ridgecrest and north of Rocky Ridge and an imaginary line though the ravine.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:05 AM

4,576 posts, read 8,219,773 times
I went to Granite Bay HS so I'll offer my 2 cents.

If the worst you have to worry about is bullying, drug use, and vanity, you need to count your blessings. These are every day trails and tribulations that don't leave after high school, they stick around in your adult life too. And jumping from district to district will not change that. You have to accept the fact that kids grow up.

And like I said before, count your blessings. There are parents who have to send their kids to low income high schools which essentially function as daily holding pens for future parolees.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:45 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,566,558 times
I think you may be over thinking the entire school decision issue. To me there are several different grades of schools. You have the failing urban school think Grant High, Hiriam Johnson, or Foothill High. Those types of schools have gangs, have fairly low levels of parental involvement and are regularly facing state take over for failing test scores. These schools have problems with truancy, lots of kids are falling through the cracks. Neither the teachers nor the students really want to be there, so you have lots of staff turnover.

You have middle income schools like say Antelope High School, Rosemont High School and maybe Elk Grove High School. In these types of schools, there is more parental involvement, you have a mixture of blue collar and white collar parents. Its possible at these schools to get a good education of one applies oneself, but one can slip fairly far before anyone takes action.

Lastly you have the high income/high performing schools, think Folsom High, Davis High School, Rio Americano High School. These are schools where most kids have parents who went to college and probably grad school. There are a lot of enrichment programs because parents have the money and time to keep them going. You can find really goods music and arts programs. Lots of AP programs. Most kids in these schools are going to go on to college.

I see a significant difference between schools of the various different tranches. Folsom High School is much better than Grant High School or Antelope High School. But the difference in school quality among schools in the same traunch isn't that significant.

I really doubt that outcomes are going to be that significantly different between kids at Whitney, Woodcreek and Rocklin High Schools. I suspect the levels of parental involvement and funding for various programs is going to be comparable at all of them. One school might have a better girl's waterpolo team and another might have a better boys wrestling team or a better debating team, but overall the differences between the schools and the student bodies at the schools isn't going to be that significant because they are drawing kids from pretty much the same economic milieu. The schools are being funded by the various school districts at pretty much the same rates and the staff at the various schools are being hired from the same feeder colleges. That makes it difficult for the schools to be that much different from each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento