Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 07:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times

Advertisements

premium to super premium bulk Ice Cream supplier (3 gallon tubs) between Sac and Reno. Any suggestions would be very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 11:08 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,298,493 times
Crystal used to sell ice cream in bulk, but since they sold out I don't know what they do. Crystal's ice cream used to be excellent. Now they use corn syrup and it doesn't have the same quality.

You could contact Rite Aid and see if they still sell their large tubs of ice cream. They used to when they were "Thrifty's." You will probably have to order ahead of time. Their ice cream is some of the best you will find at the retail level. Certainly better than most grocery store brands.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:19 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
Mmmmm...my very favorite ice cream, believe it or not, is Costco's Kirkland brand. Not sure if they sell in 3 gallon tubs or not.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:21 PM

I just thought of another brand that I used to see large tubs of ice cream.

Producer's. They are from Fresno but distribute throughout California.

Producer's Dairy Ice Cream Products

Old 07-30-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Crystal used to sell ice cream in bulk, but since they sold out I don't know what they do. Crystal's ice cream used to be excellent. Now they use corn syrup and it doesn't have the same quality.

You could contact Rite Aid and see if they still sell their large tubs of ice cream. They used to when they were "Thrifty's." You will probably have to order ahead of time. Their ice cream is some of the best you will find at the retail level. Certainly better than most grocery store brands.
Funny you mention Thrifty which is what we'd love to get. Unfortunately it is not available from Sac to Reno. Restaurant Depot in Sac used to have it but was told by their milk supplier that the ice cream they had (Crystal) was better (imagine a salesman saying that) so they went with that. Doing a web search on many variations of "ice cream suppliers" came up empty so far.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
I just thought of another brand that I used to see large tubs of ice cream.

Producer's. They are from Fresno but distribute throughout California.

Producer's Dairy Ice Cream Products
Thanks, just sent 'em an email to see if it's available.
Keep 'em coming!

Old 07-30-2011, 03:44 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,266 times
As far as I know Producers is still distributing around Sacramento. Reminds me (thanks KC6ZLV) that I haven't had theirs for a while, I'll have to pick some up. Producers still sponsors the all-you-can-eat ice cream fundraiser at the Fresno zoo but I'm too old for a brain freeze anymore.

Lately I've bought Fresno State's ice cream, good quality produced by the students. Besides consumer packaging they've been doing large tubs for use at restaurants/shops around here. Don't know if they would distribute that far north though.
http://www.auxiliary.com/agf/dairypr...icecream.shtml

But that brings up Chico State. They have an organic dairy. Are the students producing ice cream up there that might work?

KC6ZLV will need to answer this because its been awhile for me. But what about Gunther's in Sacramento? Weren't they doing tubs for others to sell at one time?

Old 07-30-2011, 07:30 PM

Producers still has a distribution center in Sacramento and I've seen their ice cream for sale here. Their products are a lot more difficult to find here these days than in Fresno. Their main niche now is filling for some of the store brands. They fill WalMart's branded milk, for example.

I think Gunther's sold tubs to non-profits so they could sell them at fundraisers.

Chico is entirely out of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Funny you mention Thrifty which is what we'd love to get. Unfortunately it is not available from Sac to Reno. Restaurant Depot in Sac used to have it but was told by their milk supplier that the ice cream they had (Crystal) was better (imagine a salesman saying that) so they went with that. Doing a web search on many variations of "ice cream suppliers" came up empty so far.
Thrifty's Ice cream is sold at Rite Aid. Go into Rite Aid and make an inquiry. You will likely have to make an order in advance. That is the way it was done at Thrifty's Drugstore in the past.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Producers still has a distribution center in Sacramento and I've seen their ice cream for sale here. Their products are a lot more difficult to find here these days than in Fresno. Their main niche now is filling for some of the store brands. They fill WalMart's branded milk, for example.

I think Gunther's sold tubs to non-profits so they could sell them at fundraisers.

Chico is entirely out of the way.

Thrifty's Ice cream is sold at Rite Aid. Go into Rite Aid and make an inquiry. You will likely have to make an order in advance. That is the way it was done at Thrifty's Drugstore in the past.
We always scoop Thrifty Ice Cream and have been talking with the factory but unfortunately I can't get it out of any Rite Aid. Normally I can get it at Restaurant Depot but Sac store is one of the few that doesn't stock it darn it! I talked to Gunthers and at almost $40 per it's wayyy out of my price bracket, there's NO ice cream worth over $13 a gallon I don't care how good it is.
I'll check with Producers on Monday to see if they can supply the amount I need at a reasonable cost.
Any more suggestions are very welcome!!
Thank you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento