Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 10:27 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Personally, I don't see why anyone would want anything to do with the Sacramento Kings to begin with. They always blow, and have never been relevant in the slightest manner outside of that town.....not to mention Sacramento, CA has to be THE least desirable place I can think of for a pro hoops player to set up shop. How in the world did Sacramento ever get a big 4 pro sports team anyway? Take them to Seattle. If you're from Sacto & wanna see pro sports, make a day of it. Hop on 80 west and enjoy being so close to the Bay Area.
Kings went to the playoffs 5 times in a row from 2001-2005 and had some of the highest attendance in the league.

I'm not sure what you mean by Sacramento being the least desirable place for a pro hoops player to set up shop. Plenty of basketball players live or have lived here and the mayor of sacramento is a former player.

If you want to talk about a place where pro athletes do not live in, look at your state of Michigan. All your pro's live in La, Miami, Atlanta, because no one wants to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 01:21 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Kings went to the playoffs 5 times in a row from 2001-2005 and had some of the highest attendance in the league.

I'm not sure what you mean by Sacramento being the least desirable place for a pro hoops player to set up shop. Plenty of basketball players live or have lived here and the mayor of sacramento is a former player.

If you want to talk about a place where pro athletes do not live in, look at your state of Michigan. All your pro's live in La, Miami, Atlanta, because no one wants to live there.
Oh, come on. Half the teams in the NBA make the playoffs every year. That is not a signifigant accomplishment. How many times have the Kings ever even come close to an NBA title? They are a corpse of a franchise.

Say what you want, but Michigan is the center of the sports universe, and Detroit is the best sports town in the world. Not the country....the world. A good portion of the players might not live there, but EVERYONE wants to play there. We have the most passionate, knowledgable fans anywhere. Do not sit there and try to knock Michigan as far as sports is concerned. I don't understand why a town like Sacramento has a big 4 pro sports franchise when one of the biggest metros in the nation in the Bay Area is practically next door.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:55 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
So...how has the presence of downtown arenas affected downtown Detroit? Is it bustling with a ton of new development?

Old 02-19-2012, 02:27 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
So...how has the presence of downtown arenas affected downtown Detroit? Is it bustling with a ton of new development?
Not really. Detroit is the most segregated major city in the U.S. Just about all of the people who go to Detroit sporting events live outside the city. It's a non issue as far as the teams themselves, though. They have all been doing great.....even the Lions drew well up until the 0-16 disaster a couple years back, and of course they are really packing the house now that they're winning.

Really not dumping on Sacramento itself, I just don't understand why you put a team in a mid size town like that when there's another one an hour down the road, and 2 more in L.A., especially when they have been a moribund franchise for most of their existence. And Detroit may not be paradise, but exactly why would a celebrity with millions of dollars want to live in Sacramento if they had a choice?

Old 02-19-2012, 03:34 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
That's kind of what I figured--Sacramento is the least segregated major city in the US, but most of the plans for big impressive stuff like arenas is based around getting people who don't live in the city to drive in, spend money and drive back out to the suburbs. That just seems like a really poor idea for how to repair cities--it didn't work 40 years ago when we tried creating a pedestrian mall downtown, it didn't work 20 years ago when we rebuilt the pedestrian mall as an indoor mall. Sacramento has a lot of great attributes and a lot of things to be proud of, but the folks pushing the arena just diminish, degrade and insult them, as though nothing but a new arena will ever be good enough. I don't understand this mindset at all.

I don't know what celebrities want in a place to live, other than perhaps privacy and a certain level of luxury, so I'm not sure how to judge why one would live in Sacramento or not.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:11 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Quote:
Oh, come on. Half the teams in the NBA make the playoffs every year. That is not a signifigant accomplishment. How many times have the Kings ever even come close to an NBA title? They are a corpse of a franchise.

Say what you want, but Michigan is the center of the sports universe, and Detroit is the best sports town in the world. Not the country....the world. A good portion of the players might not live there, but EVERYONE wants to play there. We have the most passionate, knowledgable fans anywhere. Do not sit there and try to knock Michigan as far as sports is concerned. I don't understand why a town like Sacramento has a big 4 pro sports franchise when one of the biggest metros in the nation in the Bay Area is practically next door.
Uh the kings have gotten very close to going to the nba finals. They almost beat the lakers in what many speculated was a rigged game. Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows the kings were a very relevant team in the western conference from '01-'05. They out drew a majority of teams in that time, while being the small market team.

You can enjoy the fact that you are in the "center of the sports universe" but really that's all crappy Michigan has going for it. People might want to play there but no one wants to live there. Hell people from Michigan don't even want to live there.

Quote:
Really not dumping on Sacramento itself, I just don't understand why you put a team in a mid size town like that when there's another one an hour down the road, and 2 more in L.A., especially when they have been a moribund franchise for most of their existence. And Detroit may not be paradise, but exactly why would a celebrity with millions of dollars want to live in Sacramento if they had a choice?
Yea actually you are. You don't even live here, don't post on this forum, and you are trying to talk down on Sacramento. Get a reality check dude, the majority of people in California don't even buy cars from Detroit. Most people here don't know, nor do they care if you guys exist.

And plenty of Celebrities worth millions of dollars live here because they enjoy it. That's why Ronald Reagan's daughter lived in the area I grew up in until her death. It's a great place to raise a family, good weather, and a great location. Pretty much everything Detroit isn't.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:06 AM

6,907 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Quote:
You act as if the Kings just moved to Sacramento. They have been here for 25 years, and have been profitable for most of the years with one of the most loyal fan bases for a small market which has never won a title. That says a lot about the fans.

The Sacramento Metro is 2.3 million -- big enough to handle one major sports team regardless if the Bay Area is 2hrs away.

Your logic about Sacramento being close to the Bay Area and LA is silly as well. NYC and Philly are 90 miles apart, not much different than the distance between Oakland's Arena and Sacramento's Arena. Phoenix is just as close to LA has Sacramento, so I guess PHX should not have a basketball team either by your logic. Nor should Detroit have a team considering Cleveland is 170 miles too close. Oh, Portland should not have a team either as Seattle is 3hrs away.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:07 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
PPL on both sides need to Chillax...Sacramento has plenty of Millionaires and is near both the Bay Area 50 Miles Away and LAKE TAHOE 90 Miles Away.........The Pistons Play In A Suburb Of DETROIT......

Old 02-23-2012, 10:39 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,036 times
Yeah, where all da hedge fund managers at? I'm going to start a PR campaign to get hedge fund manager millionaires to move to Sac. Your money goes a lot further, there's less of a wait at the nice restaurants, you're closer to skiing, and we're selling arena naming rights at bargain basement prices!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:54 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Talks involving the Kings and the arena apparently got pretty intense and specific today, hopefully we'll know the final result within the next day or so:

George Maloof is biggest hurdle to new Kings arena in Sacramento - Sam Amick - SI.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento