U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 06:44 PM

22 posts, read 55,187 times

Advertisements

Let me start off by saying that Sacramento is a beautiful city (most parts), and I truly do enjoy living here for all of two weeks...

Now, please tell me where the safest place to live that's relatively close to the city (about 15-20 minutes away), because, I am having a semi-difficult time adjusting to where I am now (Arden). I was told it is "relatively" safe, but after the first week of living here, my car was broken into (NO cords were visible, everything was put into the center console, I had nothing sitting on the seats...ect).

The apartment complex ranted about it's luxuriousness, but I've had nothing but problems, ranging from rowdy tenants at night to a new-found problem of either spiders or mites, UGHHHH! They do have a resort-style pool, but the apartments themselves are crappy as hell, and looked nothing like the model apartment (I was only able to see the model apartment as I was coming from out of state and therefore could not see the apartment that I was moving into).

I've looked on apartmentratings.com, yelp, and other rating sites and all of the ratings, aside from Roseville, seem to all have negative reviews. There has to be SOME place in Sacramento, that people seem to like, but I am unable to find decent reviews, so I am requesting help. Where are all the decent apartment complexes?!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,471 times
I live at Homecoming at Creekside in Natomas and have had no issues with safety, noise, etc. The area is fine but a little boring for my tastes. My lease is up in a month so I am looking for a place in midtown, but will admit it is really hard to find anything there with the amenities I have here.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:54 PM

Yeah, when my windshield was damaged, I was looking for places in Sacramento to get it fixed and read a review on yelp from a guy that lived in Midtown. Long story short- his neighbors saw some random guy stomping on his car/ windshield that was parked on the street. Believe me, I'm looking for boring at this point! Thanks for the recommendation!

Old 08-14-2011, 01:25 AM

15,730 posts, read 17,698,913 times
I lived in the Regatta, nice place but the parking is a bit tough. Pay the $35 for a reserved spot. I looked at Homecoming. Farther (although still close) to Sacramento, too many apartments in the area, more expensive and the floor plans aren't as good. Homecoming is huge and really it just depressed me... just more ticky-tacky than I could stand. Regatta was a lot smaller, which I liked. Homecoming does have some really nice amenities although I'm not sure how busy they get with that many units, and all the units had either attached or detached garages included in the rent. Most of them were also built more like townhomes (no upstairs/downstairs neighbors).

The other place I liked was Harbor Oaks. Gorgeous grounds and a bit cheaper than Regatta was.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:24 AM

8,373 posts, read 15,212,043 times
Is there a particular part of town where you go regularly (work etc.) where your search should be centered? Crime in Sacramento isn't necessarily highest in the city center, and there are some close-in neighborhoods that are quieter and more comfortable, although they tend to be kind of pricey, like East Sac, Elmhurst and Land Park, or the newer parts of West Sacramento. And on the flip side, there are plenty of places in the suburbs 15-20 minutes from downtown where you certainly don't want to live--and yes, parts of Arden/Arcade are getting pretty sketchy, although I see you have discovered that already.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 PM

As you can see, lack of proximity to the city center doesn't necessarily mean your vehicle will be safe...

Deputies Warn Of 'Vehicle Vandalism Spree' - Sacramento News Story - KCRA Sacramento (http://www.kcra.com/news/28833822/detail.html - broken link)

Old 08-14-2011, 11:30 PM

457 posts, read 1,056,332 times
I used to live in the Hidden Lake apartments on Greenhaven drive and I never had a problem the entire two years I was there. This is about 7 years ago now though. That's on I5 in the pocket area.

Nicest areas tend to be Folsom/E.d.h. and Granite Bay / Rocklin however I don't know anything about apartments in that area.

Always look at the cars in apartment complexes etc. They are a dead give away to who you will be sharing your community with.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:26 AM

1,342 posts, read 1,805,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
I used to live in the Hidden Lake apartments on Greenhaven drive and I never had a problem the entire two years I was there. This is about 7 years ago now though. That's on I5 in the pocket area.

Nicest areas tend to be Folsom/E.d.h. and Granite Bay / Rocklin however I don't know anything about apartments in that area.

Always look at the cars in apartment complexes etc. They are a dead give away to who you will be sharing your community with.
Yea and even though I am not a fan of extreme liberals, I would rather live in neighborhoods with them because they won't break in or cause commotion outside of laughing loud and talking outside over silly things at odd hours. On cars look for stickers that support green living or greenpeace and you will be good to go. it will be safer than having a lot of blacks or mexicans or even wigger whites included if they are a big multicultural group of people who go around causing trouble.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 PM

I appreciate all the input, thanks!

I looked at places in Midtown today, and it appears that many are a bit run-down, unless I'm planning to spend $2000/month (not so much...)

@Think about it- I should have been more away of my surroundings, and yes, the Lincolns, Escalades, and BMW's should have been a dead give away.

@wburg- Interesting article. I wonder what gives people the motive to break into cars? It's rather irritating and childish, to say the least. As I realize that car break ins can happen virtually anywhere, I still get an unsettling feeling living in this area. Maybe it's intuition, or just craziness....

Old 08-16-2011, 10:04 PM

Generally, the motive to break into cars is to steal stuff in the cars...in the case of the windows being shot out, just suburban boredom and a lack of respect for other people's property. I grew up not far from Antelope (although it was still fenced-off fields with DANGER, UNEXPLODED BOMBS UNDERGROUND signs back then) and it was always a haven for bad teenage behavior. The Sacramento region has a fairly high rate of auto theft.

As to the central city, the neighborhoods in the northeastern and northwestern corner of Midtown tend to be the nicer/quieter bits. The western half is in a bit rougher shape, and the middle tends to be noisy due to the presence of many bars. I have parked my car on the street in the central city for 15 years, other than one incident of vandalism (someone jammed something into a door lock) haven't had any problem with break-ins or damage. Maybe it's because I drive cheap old cars that don't look like there could be anything valuable inside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento