Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:58 AM

39 posts, read 59,496 times

Advertisements

A couple of families are heading over to Sacramento for a while and are looking at renting a couple of properties. Ive heard that some areas of some counties in the US its important not to go into. We dont want to upset anyone or rock the boat.

My questions are:

1) Is there any area of Sacremento which we should look to avoid as we are white australians?

2) We are young families with young children, is there any recommended areas that a member could suggest?

3) Is there anything else that us foreigners should take into consideration with living in Sacramento?

thanks in advance, much appreciated

Old 02-28-2012, 10:27 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,150 times
I really can't think of anything in particular. I think you'll want to search out nice/safe places the same ways that the rest of us do. Probably no considerations particular for Aussies.

Particular recommendations, it depends on your interests, where you're working, and price range. There are a lot of nice, safe places bordering the center city (neighborhoods like Land Park, Curtis Park, East Sac) that are older, interesting, safe, but also close to downtown and more walkable and bikeable. But they can be pretty pricey, especially if you're looking for a large house and/or don't want to put in much work. If you don't care about being close to the city, there are plenty of pleasant but not as interesting suburbs to live in.

Good luck on the move!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:57 AM

105 posts, read 484,317 times
This is pretty funny. I don't think there will be anything not safe for an Aussie as they look just like regular white people. With that being said, there is a fairly big group of people that play aussie rules football in midtown/downtown area. Not all are from oz, but they can understand you, lol. Home - SACRAMENTO SCREAMERS Australian Rules Football Club Est. 2009 is the website. Most of the people live in the midtown area. If you really want to get first hand information, I'd suggest emailing the admin of sacfooty.

1)everyone should be fine. Maybe not north highlands, rio linda areas, but I wouldn't recommend those places to anyone.

2)if your kids will be attending schools in the area, look into folsom, roseville, granite bay--off the top of my head

3) Vegemite is hard to come by. Get ready for people to ask you to just talk since they want to hear your accent.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Stay away from South Sacramento.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:08 PM

thanks everyone, maybe i should have given more information, apologies

1) Price max $1500 per mth rental

2) 4 bedrooms and or upwards in a house

3) Kids are home schooled, so no concern about being near schools

4) We are not concerned about being in the inner city, im a country boy and id rather the quiet

Thanks everyone, im quite taken by some kind responses.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:18 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,560 times
My advice is for anyone in general, not specific to your race or national origin.

The crummiest parts of town are South Sacramento, Oak Park, North Highlands, Del Paso Heights, South Natomas.

The others are a case by case basis.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:50 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
would you guys recommend some of the foothills towns for him? since he homeschools and likes quiet country? i'm just searching the threads for sac myself, so i can't say-but just a thought....(:

Old 02-29-2012, 03:13 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by News1234 View Post
A couple of families are heading over to Sacramento for a while and are looking at renting a couple of properties. Ive heard that some areas of some counties in the US its important not to go into. We dont want to upset anyone or rock the boat.

My questions are:

1) Is there any area of Sacremento which we should look to avoid as we are white australians?

thanks in advance, much appreciated

Are you serious??????

Um, just in case you haven't heard, minorities aren't thinking about whites like that.

It's usually WHITES who think of minorities like THAT.

Scaredy cats.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:54 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
would you guys recommend some of the foothills towns for him? since he homeschools and likes quiet country? i'm just searching the threads for sac myself, so i can't say-but just a thought....(:
Lincoln, Loomis and Cameron Park are good if he wants the country life.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Are you serious??????

Um, just in case you haven't heard, minorities aren't thinking about whites like that.

It's usually WHITES who think of minorities like THAT.

Scaredy cats.
Hey didnt mean to offend, im sorry if i did, think of it like this: How do you think about Australia? take snakes for instance, I have many americans ask me about this, Australia has 6 of the worlds 11 deadliest snakes, and ours take most of the top in deadly, you can in some cases die within minutes after being bitten, yet i trudge through the bush without to much concern and yes i see them and have almost stood on them before, this causes my american friends to wonder with amazement.

In the same way I have heard many times about area's that if your white you should not go into in the US and in CA.

I agree that there is racism within every race of people and it aint all whites, im not racist i got born again years ago and repented of that stupid gargbage.

My question relates to not wanting to rock anyones boat, and avoid being the victim of any possible racism. If the good members on here tell me that i can walk around in any ol area of Sacramento and i wont have a worry, then i dont have a worry, so is that what the good members on this forum have to say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento