Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 06:55 PM

17 posts, read 36,573 times

Advertisements

Hello folks--I am a retired woman in my sixties, very healthy & active etc, planning to move to the Sacramento area next spring. I have done a LOT of research already, incl. City-Data & various links found here. In order to make my move as easy & un-chaotic as posbl, I really need to zero in on the best areas for me: low-crime, inexpensive yet clean & decent, generally quiet & friendly. Would much prefer being near the river (bike/walking paths), hopefully public transport. Want to rent a small cottage/house, with yard for garden. I know it's a big order, but past experience has taught me that nothing's impossible, you just have to know how to find what you want. The east side (Fair Oaks/Carmichael/Folsom) sound pretty good (??), but what about the west side, or northwest? My family & best friend are in the Bay Area & those would be great for access to visits, but surely it's a quick trip across the city on Hwy 50...I will appreciate any serious suggestions, one way or the other. Esp. if you know of a good rental agency. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 PM

660 posts, read 1,081,373 times
Northeast suburbs or Davis sound like what you're looking for. Maybe parts of Elk Grove.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:13 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Have you looked at the northeastern quarter of Sacramento's central city--Boulevard Park, Marshall School, or New Era Park (roughly between 20th, 29th, C and I Streets)? The neighborhood isn't the cheapest, but prices have come down dramatically since the boom, and there are a lot of lovely little bungalows with small backyards well-suited for gardening (and there are also several community gardens.) The northern portion of the neighborhood is far enough from the hubbub of Midtown but close enough to walk to shopping and activities, including a senior center in Marshall Park. A lot of recently retired empty-nesters looking to downsize but still want a beautiful neighborhood where they can walk to amenities have chosen this neighborhood.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:35 PM

127 posts, read 209,039 times
I would not recommend Folsom. It's expensive, not quiet, and not friendly, and not much public transport. Speaking from experience.
If considering Rocklin, Emerald Pointe apartments are the BEST. They have a 100% rating. I lived there, and wish I still did. Not many apartments have 100% rating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento