Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 03:55 PM
AGP AGP started this thread

1 posts, read 1,468 times

Advertisements

I am looking for good input from the residents of Roseville and surrounding areas about what Roseville needs.... I am a business entrepreneur and investor and I want to re-locate my wife and 4 children to Roseville. It sounds like a good place to raise a family.

While I own other business's in other states and countries, I want to do something local that I can also have some fun with. I am interested in possibly doing a nice brewpub / restaurant similar to how BJ's Brewhouse is done.. just a little smaller scale. Is this of interest to the residents? If so where are desirable locations to establish such a business.

Feel free to let me know what else is needed? What there is not enough of, too much of, or needs to be improved?

My goal is to create a profitable business that creates local jobs, supports local business's by buying locally, and to give back to the community where needed most.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated and will ultimately benefit the residents of Roseville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 06:23 PM

505 posts, read 1,664,704 times
The Roseville, Rocklin, Lincoln, is very family oriented so you may have better chances of doing a family styled restaurant. There is already a Dave and Buster's and BJ's in Roseville. Family entertainment, there is a Golfland, Sunsplash also. You don't see many nightclubs and Hooters in this area though.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:35 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,724 times
They just opened up a Yardhouse in the Fountains. It is not far from BJ's, so another brewpub might be a tough go.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:21 AM

48 posts, read 123,316 times
Default New Business

Hi AGP: I will be moving to Sacramento in about a week. I have always envisioned developing a business where single people (divorced, disabled, college students, widows/widowers, etc.) could rent a room in a big house and all share common living area. House would need a full-time manager. Just an idea. So many people in our country are living alone and can't afford it. Many want company and/or someone to share their days with. Many just want to be able to afford to live decently. Just an idea.

I'm a nurse, that's why I lean in this direction, perhaps.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:14 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Sounds like a boarding house or co-op. I lived in a place like that when I first moved to Sacramento--eight people sharing a six-bedroom foursquare, for the princely sum of $125 each per month plus utilities (about ten bucks.) We shared chores and cooking duties, and bathrooms. They used to be very common, especially through World War II and the Fifties when a lot of large older homes were being subdivided into apartments or boarding houses. Such a place would definitely be welcome in the central city, for those who work downtown, don't like a lot of baggage, and are seeking inexpensive rental options. There used to be thousands of such rooms, many in the older residential hotels downtown (which, despite their reputation, were not always for winos and drifters--they were often home to young office workers of both sexes, marketed to the aspiring middle class.)

If you have the means to buy one of the handful of still-unrestored old buildings (there are a couple, but you'd better know how to fix houses and have some money to do it!) you could fix it up into a 6-bedroom boarding house (more if the basement can be converted) that you could rent out--although unless you're doing a lot of the work yourself, it would be a very low-margin business.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:35 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,307,020 times
In terms of businesses that I think Roseville/Rocklin could use is several large local independent bike shops. That hasn't happened yet because rents were so high they priced out the independent bike shops. But the area has the income to support people buying something better than lame department store bikes from sales people who actually know the merchandise.

But it sounds like you know more about restaurants than bike shops.

If you wanted to try doing a brew pub like operation, I might look at downtown Roseville and possibly downtown Lincoln. I would look at downtown Roseville because restaurants with out door sidewalk seating seem to do pretty well in this region and you could conceivably find a space like that in either downtown Roseville or downtown Lincoln. If you go into the more suburban location in this area, I think I would drop the brewpub part of the operationand just open up a pizza for delivery business. In fast growing regions rents for commercial space tend to be pretty high intially and the independents normally lack the cash and credit to qualify for the lease. But right now, landlords are will take a chance to lease up the property. If the region ever recovers, Lincoln is again going to be a huge growth area. But if the regional economy stays weak for extended period of time, just about every business in the area is going to struggle.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:08 PM

48 posts, read 123,316 times
Default New Business

Thanks Wburg. Interesting. I just think, especially in this struggling economy, many people are always looking for ways to cut corners. I
envision it like a . . . bed and breakfast for professionals on the run, a cool and laid back place for a college student, or .. . well, many ideas come to
mind. Boarding house, group home, nursing home - no way. The government would have to be involved and that is never good. Just an idea.

Hope you find what your'e looking for (original poster).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento