Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 11:09 PM

3 posts, read 9,455 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

New to the forum, i am looking for my first house and wanted to get some useful information from this site. Here is a little information that may potentially help your answer.
- This is my first home
- My budget is between $150k-$200k
- I am military so i will be using my VA loan (0 down, low APR)
- I am looking for a newer/new home
- 3/2 around 15000 to 2000 sq/ft
- Work off Bradshaw so looking to live around here

After considering all this, i really became interested in the "anatolia" area, basically the area after Sunrise/Douglas. I like Anatolia but its too expensive after you add the $115 dollar HOA and the $200ish dollar Mello-roos tax. So i started looking at the developments around the area such as Kavala Ranch and so forth.

I am interested in living in Rio Del Sol which are homes made by KHOV. There is no HOA and the Mello-roos is $180 dollars. Since i will do a VA loan i dont have to pay the $170 MI so that can cover the Mello-roos. I am looking at their brand new Residence 1 and can walk away at about $194 + closing costs. I am considering putting down $20k so it will be $174 + closing costs. Love the price but here are my concerns:
- Lack of stores and development
- Location being behind Anatolia and off the beaten path
- What else will be developing around it
- If the city still plans to develop the area

Any information on KHOV and Rio Del Sol would be awesome and extremely beneficial. Any other information would be greatly appreciated!

THanks

Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 12:28 AM

409 posts, read 957,420 times
Hi Will,

Check out the City of Rancho Cordova's website and search for the Sunridge Specific Plan (it will include maps of proposed development for this area). Basically the plan calls for eventual development with retail and homes from Sunrise east to Grantline Road and south to Kiefer. The different communities will be separated by protected habitat. However, development will be slow due to the economy. I live in Anatolia so yes I am biased, however, one thing I noticed about the newer homes near Anatolia, with the exception of Woodside Homes, is the simplification of features. The homes in the square footage you are looking for come with two car garages instead of three and dont come with tiled baths, double ovens, fireplace etc. You may want to check out Ziprealty.com and view comparable homes available in Anatolia. Most of them are in fine shape. As far as the HOA keep in mind that the bulk of the HOA is paying for the mortgage on the clubhouse which should be paid off in about 7-8 years and Comcast cable (70 plus channels).

Old 11-01-2011, 08:10 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
I would be careful about taking city plans as a bedrock decision. I know that the area has had a lot of changes to the plans. I recall one developer, I think it was Pulte, pulling out of a large planned development in the area and selling their land for less than 20% of what they paid for it.

Centex, Pulte dump land in Rancho - Sacramento Business Journal

I also know that they had plans for a rather large private college just to the east of there, and those plans have now been scrapped.

The university planned to develop the campus and once completed, to have a student body of 5,000 undergraduate and 2,000 graduate students. On July 7, 2011, the university announced that the plans for the University of Sacramento were cancelled and the university would close its academic programs effective immediately.

University of Sacramento - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, I read last month that the city is now in some kind of tussle with Sacramento County over future development to the east of the city. They also had a very significant setback in an eminent domain issue on Folsom Blvd.

ZIP Code Dispute Has Rancho Cordova Officials Upset - Project Economy News Story - KCRA Sacramento (http://www.kcra.com/money/29236470/detail.html - broken link)

Price tag skyrockets for Rancho Cordova in redevelopment eminent domain case | Redevelopment.US

Just some things to keep in mind, the plans don't mean much if they can't execute them. I'm not putting the area down at all here, just wouldn't make much use of current plans.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I would be careful about taking city plans as a bedrock decision. I know that the area has had a lot of changes to the plans. I recall one developer, I think it was Pulte, pulling out of a large planned development in the area and selling their land for less than 20% of what they paid for it.

Centex, Pulte dump land in Rancho - Sacramento Business Journal

I also know that they had plans for a rather large private college just to the east of there, and those plans have now been scrapped.

The university planned to develop the campus and once completed, to have a student body of 5,000 undergraduate and 2,000 graduate students. On July 7, 2011, the university announced that the plans for the University of Sacramento were cancelled and the university would close its academic programs effective immediately.

University of Sacramento - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, I read last month that the city is now in some kind of tussle with Sacramento County over future development to the east of the city. They also had a very significant setback in an eminent domain issue on Folsom Blvd.

ZIP Code Dispute Has Rancho Cordova Officials Upset - Project Economy News Story - KCRA Sacramento (http://www.kcra.com/money/29236470/detail.html - broken link)

Price tag skyrockets for Rancho Cordova in redevelopment eminent domain case | Redevelopment.US

Just some things to keep in mind, the plans don't mean much if they can't execute them. I'm not putting the area down at all here, just wouldn't make much use of current plans.
I agree about relying too much on redevelopment plans. However, the area in question does not include Folsom Boulevard (its not close to the Sunridge/Anatolia/Kavala Ranch area and should not affect what is developed here). The zip code issue has to do with part of the proposed development on lands adjacent to Aerojet off Hazel and is not part of the current Sunridge Specific Plan. What I can say about the area surrounding Anatolia is what is ongoing at the present time, construction continues on homes and no retail yet (in accordance with the Sunridge Specific plan but due to the economy at a much slower pace). Home lots have been sold off from one homebuilder to the next. The newest homebuilders are K.Hovanian and Beazer who purchased lots that once belonged to Kimball Homes, Woodside, Lennar (constructing homes on lots that once belonged to Cambridge Homes in Anatolia and also building in Kavala Ranch), Tim Lewis, and Legacy Homes.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:02 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
I realize it is far from the Folsom Blvd area, I was just cautioning about using city planning information as a certain vision for the future.

Frankly, what I'd do is look around at how things exist today, and ask yourself if this is OK with you for at least the next 4 or 5 years. If the answer is yes, then that makes the decision a bit easier. If the answer is no, I'd likely look elsewhere.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:19 AM

3 posts, read 9,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by u225615 View Post
Hi Will,

Check out the City of Rancho Cordova's website and search for the Sunridge Specific Plan (it will include maps of proposed development for this area). Basically the plan calls for eventual development with retail and homes from Sunrise east to Grantline Road and south to Kiefer. The different communities will be separated by protected habitat. However, development will be slow due to the economy. I live in Anatolia so yes I am biased, however, one thing I noticed about the newer homes near Anatolia, with the exception of Woodside Homes, is the simplification of features. The homes in the square footage you are looking for come with two car garages instead of three and dont come with tiled baths, double ovens, fireplace etc. You may want to check out Ziprealty.com and view comparable homes available in Anatolia. Most of them are in fine shape. As far as the HOA keep in mind that the bulk of the HOA is paying for the mortgage on the clubhouse which should be paid off in about 7-8 years and Comcast cable (70 plus channels).
Thanks for the information. The HOA doesnt bother me as much as the, on average, $235 dollar Mello-roos taxes do. I doubt i will use the Comcast cable as i will probably be bringing over my DirectTV so the money i pay into HOA for the comcast would be wasted each month. I know i could cancel my Direct TV but i have a really good deal through them and it would actually be a worse deal to take the comcast.

I actually found a location i am interested in, it is called Rio Del Sol. It is located in front of Woodside off of Douglas. They have house just under 1800 sq/ft with stainless appliances, granite counter tops, 2 car garage, no HOA, $180 mello-roos, fireplace, and they are around $210 after incentives plus they are brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u225615 View Post
I agree about relying too much on redevelopment plans. However, the area in question does not include Folsom Boulevard (its not close to the Sunridge/Anatolia/Kavala Ranch area and should not affect what is developed here). The zip code issue has to do with part of the proposed development on lands adjacent to Aerojet off Hazel and is not part of the current Sunridge Specific Plan. What I can say about the area surrounding Anatolia is what is ongoing at the present time, construction continues on homes and no retail yet (in accordance with the Sunridge Specific plan but due to the economy at a much slower pace). Home lots have been sold off from one homebuilder to the next. The newest homebuilders are K.Hovanian and Beazer who purchased lots that once belonged to Kimball Homes, Woodside, Lennar (constructing homes on lots that once belonged to Cambridge Homes in Anatolia and also building in Kavala Ranch), Tim Lewis, and Legacy Homes.
That is correct, i am currently in the process of potentially buying one of the KHOV homes that are located infront of the Woodside homes off Douglas. They are extremely nice and the area is supposed to grow. They should be starting their first park later this year or early next year.

I have no idea if this is true, but i heard from someone that sometime in the next decade or two there will be a freeway connector running through the aerojet land by the Douglas/Sunrise intersection that connects 50 and 99. They said this should really increase property worth. Again no idea if its true, but hey we can always hope!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:04 AM

42 posts, read 80,348 times
If you like the area and prices, but want more conviences such as grocery stores, check out the Villages of Zinfindel in RC, located off Zinfindel, head west past the Lowes. These are all new homes tucked away from the rest of RC built by Elliott Homes. Elliott still has a few new homes left (Elliott Homes - The Alexander Collection at Stone Creek - Rancho Cordova, CA) but youre best off with a home a few years old. I bought here last year after looking at Anatolia for these reasons:
1) FAR less foreclosures
2) Completely developed neighborhood, parks, and running trails
3) walkable distance to Lowes, Starbucks, Restaurants, etc
4) Private, clean, upscale neighborhood
5) NO HOA OR MELLO ROOS!

Here are some example homes:
3301 Oselot Way, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670 | MLS# 11055920
3324 Oselot Way, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670 | MLS# 11061786

Old 11-10-2011, 11:07 AM

42 posts, read 80,348 times
3580 Husch Way, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670 | MLS# 11074450

Old 11-12-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroheight68 View Post
If you like the area and prices, but want more conviences such as grocery stores, check out the Villages of Zinfindel in RC, located off Zinfindel, head west past the Lowes. These are all new homes tucked away from the rest of RC built by Elliott Homes. Elliott still has a few new homes left (Elliott Homes - The Alexander Collection at Stone Creek - Rancho Cordova, CA) but youre best off with a home a few years old. I bought here last year after looking at Anatolia for these reasons:
1) FAR less foreclosures
2) Completely developed neighborhood, parks, and running trails
3) walkable distance to Lowes, Starbucks, Restaurants, etc
4) Private, clean, upscale neighborhood
5) NO HOA OR MELLO ROOS!

Here are some example homes:
3301 Oselot Way, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670 | MLS# 11055920
3324 Oselot Way, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670 | MLS# 11061786
We looked at buying in the Stone Creek neighborhood vs Anatolia. Both provide viable alternatives for people wanting clean, well kept neighborhoods with affordably priced homes.Mello Roos is about $50.00 in Stone Creek/Villages of Zinfandel (check out the Elliott homes website). Empty fields surround both communities but development continues, although at a slow pace around each neighborhood. Since we have school aged children we chose Anatolia.

Kids in Anatolia attend Sunrise Elementary, K. Albiani Middle, and Pleasant Grove High. Kids in Stone Creek attend, I believe, Navigator, Mitchell Middle, and Cordova High all part of FCUSD. Check out the respective school websites to get a sense of the academic performance (EGUSD and FCUSD) of each of these schools as there is quite a difference in the API and physical plant ( The EGUSD schools are only a few years old).

Also, the HOA fee that we pay in Anatolia includes access to 3 swimming pools, party/game rooms and a fitness center with healthclub quality machines) as well as Comcast cable (essentially you get 70 plus channels at a significant discount compared to paying individual rates)

Stone Creek's great for:
a) Low Mello Roos
b) Much closer to Rancho Cordova proper
c) No HOA

Anatolia is great for:
a) Excellent schools
b) Community pools/exercise facility/ French Manor stylized clubhouse,
c) HOA to provide community oversight
d) Comprehensive cable service at a discount
e) Country like quietness as it is miles from the core of Rancho Cordova
f) Some of the largest square footage homes in Sacramento County for the price, although these listings are getting kinda of sparse (check out Ziprealty.com)

Sunridge/Kavala Ranch is great for:
a) Excellent schools
b) No HOA
c) Country like quietness

Old 12-29-2011, 01:43 PM

8 posts, read 20,375 times
The Anatolia and Kavala Ranch communities are so great. Go for a solar Lennar home if you can! There's a neighborhood push to get a park built there soon. Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento