Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 10,066 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Boston, Ma and a move to Sacramento is very possible in the near future. My boyfriend is getting promoted and the branch that he would be managing is in Fair Oaks? I no NOTHING about Sacramento... I love boston and would miss it but I do love going to new places (I also HATE the snow). We are both young and have no "serious" commitments so it is exciting. Just wondering if anyone has some feedback on what to expect with Sacramento!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 12:59 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
More laid back and less cerebral than Boston. Plenty to do in and around the area. Midtown is the Sacramento equivalent to Boston's Back Bay area. Cost of living will be somewhat less than Boston.

Lot's more outdoor activities, so GET IN SHAPE!!!

Old 06-04-2007, 01:13 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times
I moved from Los Angeles to Sacramento when I was 23, and I LOVED IT

I lived in Midtown

Sac is a laid back sort of place with kitchy nooks and crannies - it's Gold Rush Historic - but not as US History historic as Boston

I hear Boston is wonderful - give sac a chance - I loved it , but it's no Boston!

midtowngrid.com, Directory for Sacramento, Midtown, Downtown Sacramento, East Sacramento and Old Saccramento Business Directory for shopping, restaurants, hotels, Sacramento's 2nd Saturday Art Walk, Entertainment and more!

Old 06-04-2007, 06:28 PM

325 posts, read 1,473,233 times
I've lived in this area for six years, so I obviously like it. But, I wouldn't call Sacramento "cool." Especially when you're comparing it to Boston. Honestly.

It's location is cool, however, and it's a great place to base yourself because there are so many places to visit.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:58 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,143 times
Realistically speaking, how long would the drive be to the Sonoma/Napa Valley area, and the Sierra Mountains?... Miles and driving time.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:53 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,700,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassSass View Post
I currently live in Boston, Ma and a move to Sacramento is very possible in the near future. My boyfriend is getting promoted and the branch that he would be managing is in Fair Oaks? I no NOTHING about Sacramento... I love boston and would miss it but I do love going to new places (I also HATE the snow). We are both young and have no "serious" commitments so it is exciting. Just wondering if anyone has some feedback on what to expect with Sacramento!?!

You won't have to worry about snow in Sacramento. I've lived in a Sacramento suburb for almost 18 years and saw a few snowflakes only once during that time. However, you will run into snow in the winter if you drive east into the Sierras. Sacramento is 2 hours from Reno, Nevada or Lake Tahoe. It is also a 2 hour drive to San Francisco and the ocean. Winters here are mild compared to Boston. We receive almost no rain in the Sacramento valley from around May 15 through the end of September. Summers can be very hot. The temperature frequently exceeds 100 degrees, but we have virtually no humidity. If you like sunshine, you will like it here. There are a lot of recreational activities here. Housing can be very expensive here, so be prepared, but incomes are usually higher here than in many other parts of the country. Since you are young, you might enjoy Sacramento's midtown area. Most young people here frequent this area as it has many fashionable clubs and restaurants. I hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:55 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,700,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Realistically speaking, how long would the drive be to the Sonoma/Napa Valley area, and the Sierra Mountains?... Miles and driving time.

From Sacramento, the drive to the Sonoma/Napa area would take approximately 1.5 hours. Driving to the Sierra foothills would take 30 minutes. If you are referring to Lake Tahoe in the high Sierra, plan on 2 hours.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:27 PM

That's cool. So basically you could get up in the morning, drive to a rec area for hiking, etc... and be home later in the afternoon? Sounds alright.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:26 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Default Things to do

Yes, we do it frequently. You can leave your house at 9:00 in the morning and get in a good 5-6 hours of great skiing, or be wine tasting by 10:30. You also can be hiking Yosemite by 12:00-12:30 PM.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:14 PM

You can even go whale watching, huh? lol! I saw that in the news. Are those rivers really that deep?

To someone like me, in SW Ohio, California sounds like a fairytale land. The closest mountains are a 6-hour drive away, the nearest beach is 5 hours away....there is some hiking in certain places, but sometimes you just want someplace new to explore, to be inspired and start fresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento