U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 06:22 PM

6 posts, read 10,217 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I'm a single 27 (almost 28) year old male looking to relocate to Sacramento from Florida. I originally was looking at the Bay area, specifically Sonoma County but I don't think I could afford it. I've been researching Sacramento and it seems like a great city. A few things, I work full time but I work as a Janitor/custodian and from what I've seen there are a few opportunities in the Sac metro region for that. I've also noticed that the rent seems to be more affordable but that's just from what I've researched. I'm going out to California in three weeks and I'll be in the area for several days. I want to attend Sonoma State, but right now I'm focused on getting out there so I can establish myself and not have to pay out of state tuition. I know Sacramento is far from Sonoma County but would it be the cheaper option, especially for a minimum wage worker? Also what parts in Sacramento are safe and which ones should I just avoid?
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 08:10 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,562,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound12 View Post
Hi all

I'm a single 27 (almost 28) year old male looking to relocate to Sacramento from Florida. I originally was looking at the Bay area, specifically Sonoma County but I don't think I could afford it. I've been researching Sacramento and it seems like a great city. A few things, I work full time but I work as a Janitor/custodian and from what I've seen there are a few opportunities in the Sac metro region for that. I've also noticed that the rent seems to be more affordable but that's just from what I've researched. I'm going out to California in three weeks and I'll be in the area for several days. I want to attend Sonoma State, but right now I'm focused on getting out there so I can establish myself and not have to pay out of state tuition. I know Sacramento is far from Sonoma County but would it be the cheaper option, especially for a minimum wage worker? Also what parts in Sacramento are safe and which ones should I just avoid?
Thanks!
Have you ever thought about Sacramento state? Some affordable and decent areas is Arden, Greenhaven, College Greens, etc.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:52 AM

8,248 posts, read 23,116,103 times
CSUS is the better school, right?

It is a bit more difficult to get in-state tuition in California than it is in other states. In most states, you can simply say you lived in the state for at least a year and show some kind of proof. In other states, you can indicate you are a resident and they won't even question you if you have a State DL for that particular State. In California, you have to live in state for more than one year, and not only that, but to have also worked for the entire time and give all indication that you will remain in California after graduation (to relinquish all commitments to Florida and any other ties that might bring you back such as owning property in Florida).

Three years is the average length of time California likes to see in order to "prove" your intent on becoming a permanent resident for in-state tuition purposes. The easiest route is to attend a CC first, then transfer.

California public colleges/universities are highly subsidized by tax dollars, which is why in-state tuition is ridiculously cheap compared to other states (and which is why I laugh/roll my eyes when ever students protest fee/tuition hikes. Even with a 300% rise in costs, California students are still paying way less each year for some of the best public education in the country than students in other, more mediocre, state schools )

As for COL, yes, Sacto is cheaper. But, jobs typically pay less than the Bay Area, too. So it evens out in a way. I question if you will really save money commuting to Sonoma, though?

Old 11-02-2011, 09:20 AM

8,375 posts, read 15,216,909 times
Is there a specific reason you picked Sonoma State over other schools? Sonoma County is pretty country but it's fairly distant from the actual Bay Area. There are a lot of commuters, which adds to the local economy somewhat but makes housing expensive. Sacramento might be a better option for the kind of work you're seeking--the "super-commuters" who drive an hour or more to work are making pretty big money compared to what a janitor makes. Sacramento State is a pretty good school in its own right, part of the CSU system like Sonoma State, and rents here are quite reasonable by California standards. The job market isn't good, but it's not as dreadful as the more rural parts of the state.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:36 PM

15,746 posts, read 17,702,328 times
UC tuition is $13,000 a year, and the current plan calls for it to rise to 140 to 210% of current levels over the next four years. So an incoming freshman should budget for tuition that's between $18 and $27 thousand for their senior year. I'm really not aware of many State schools that are charging around $20,000 for in-state tuition.

The junior colleges are still very cheap. The problem there is they are impacted and certain classes are next to impossible to get. When I was looking at the radiology department at the local JC there was a 50 year waiting list. Selection is actually based on a random lottery rather than merit because they don't even have the resources to wade through the several hundred applications they receive each year for the 10 students they take. So they just ask you to reapply informally (after your first formal application) every year if you are interested in being in the lottery pool.

Sacramento isn't all that bad. Not as exciting as the bay and I don't really care for the weather, but there's a good amount to do... decent music scene, bars, reasonably priced restaurants. The economy isn't as strong as in the bay area, but the COL is much lower.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:18 AM

8,248 posts, read 23,116,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
UC tuition is $13,000 a year, and the current plan calls for it to rise to 140 to 210% of current levels over the next four years. So an incoming freshman should budget for tuition that's between $18 and $27 thousand for their senior year. I'm really not aware of many State schools that are charging around $20,000 for in-state tuition.

The junior colleges are still very cheap. The problem there is they are impacted and certain classes are next to impossible to get. When I was looking at the radiology department at the local JC there was a 50 year waiting list. Selection is actually based on a random lottery rather than merit because they don't even have the resources to wade through the several hundred applications they receive each year for the 10 students they take. So they just ask you to reapply informally (after your first formal application) every year if you are interested in being in the lottery pool.

Sacramento isn't all that bad. Not as exciting as the bay and I don't really care for the weather, but there's a good amount to do... decent music scene, bars, reasonably priced restaurants. The economy isn't as strong as in the bay area, but the COL is much lower.
UCB and UCLA rank in the top 30 best colleges in the U.S.(for both public and private). For public schools, UCB ranks #1, UCLA #2, UC Davis #9, and UC. Irvine #13. Considering there are around 4000 colleges and universities in the U.S., these rankings are really good. Point being, California residents are paying some of the cheapest tuitions (do California residents pay tuition? I thought they just paid fees?) for some of the best college education in the U.S. UCB, UCLA, and UC Davis could easily be members of the $50K Club if they were private universities in, say, New England for example. Heck, there are plenty of Tier 3, private, "no name", universities that charge $30K+ a year (even though some of them can be considered "elite" among the wealthy of the region).

As a side note, I believe that 7 of the top 10 public universities that charge the highest out-of-state tuition are UCs.

But the OP wants to go to a CSU. I believe that both CSUS and Sonoma State are $6K to $7K a year, which is pretty cheap.

I did my first year of college at Sac City. The year I went, tuition was $11 a credit. That was up from $7 a credit from the previous academic year. And you better believe there was an uproar! Wow, yeah, let's all make a fuss over $48 more dollars a semester Pennies, really. I took a course at a community college in Minneapolis after I was deemed a resident. Tuition was $168 a credit. It cost me roughly $200 less to take four courses at Sac City + buying a few textbooks than it did to take one course in Minneapolis without buying the book.

When I lived in Maine, the local community college charged around $60 a credit....and Maine is one of the poorest states in the country.

In retrospect, I should have finished college in California if finances were the only factor. Having lived in four different states since I left Sacramento, and being a "life-long learner" by taking a course here and there of interest, I am kept abreast of college tuitions, quality of education, and rankings (comes with the territory, I suppose). Even more so since I am now considering two UCs for grad school.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:22 AM

2,616 posts, read 2,897,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I did my first year of college at Sac City. The year I went, tuition was $11 a credit. That was up from $7 a credit from the previous academic year. And you better believe there was an uproar! Wow, yeah, let's all make a fuss over $48 more dollars a semester Pennies, really. I took a course at a community college in Minneapolis after I was deemed a resident. Tuition was $168 a credit. It cost me roughly $200 less to take four courses at Sac City + buying a few textbooks than it did to take one course in Minneapolis without buying the book.
And there is a governor's waiver, at least of Los Rios CC district. And the bar is pretty high. My wife got the waiver at ARC, so she paid nothing in tuition and we make far too much to eligible for any kind of government assistance.
To go back to what someone said about in-state vs. out-of-state tuition, is can also depend on the system. CSU's might handle/rule different than UC's and different than Los Rios CCs'. 5 years ago, we relocated here, and 4 years ago, she started back to school - Sierra college was going to make her out of state, but ARC was making her in-state... I know it is a state law, but there is some interpretation in there.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:57 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,878,760 times
There's always UC Merced. Maybe you could share a mansion http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/13/us...pagewanted=all

Low cost of living. Getting a job is another matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento