Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 11:53 PM

87 posts, read 700,115 times

Advertisements

Hey how's it going?

I'm a born and raised San Diego native and am thinking about relocating to the Sacto area. The price of living in SD is almost as bad as the Bay Area.

I just want a different change and a small amount cheaper price of living. I've been to the area 2 times within the last 3 yrs and it seemed really down to earth. Plus, I like the enviroment and atmosphere in Nor.Cal in "Sacto". I would appreciate If any of you residents/locals could share some Input about living there. I know visiting somewhere is totally different than residing there.

So give me the Pro's and Con's If you would. I work in the Commercial Heating and Air Conditioning field and don't think I would have a hard time finding job there.

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 01:29 AM

163 posts, read 774,055 times
I would say it's boring...especially compared to san diego. is there anything else besides the cost of real estate that you don't like about san diego? 'cause the two areas are quite a bit different.

I grew up around northern ca and now live in sacramento and I've spent plenty of time in san diego and have family there. i really like the area but it is a little crowded for me.

anyway, sacramento is:
smaller
quieter (much less going on)
hotter in summer
colder and much wetter in winter
less traffic

we are close to the mountains though which is nice and the valley can be nice when you're out in a agricultural areas. San francisco is not too far.

I dunno, you need to ask more questions about what matters to you. I mean they're both california but very different cities.

Tim

Old 08-27-2007, 08:28 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
I'm from all over CAlif too (born in Santa Monica, lived in So Cal, and moved up to Sacto for college)

I loved Sac - it was wonderful for me - but if you enjoy San diego and are moving just for financial means it's going to be another whole world - think of a shocker like Arizona! (PS Sac people I'm not saying Sac is Arizona - but I bet the move from San D to Sacto is definately that drastic)

Old 08-27-2007, 08:31 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0CaL78 View Post
Hey how's it going?

I'm a born and raised San Diego native and am thinking about relocating to the Sacto area. The price of living in SD is almost as bad as the Bay Area.

I just want a different change and a small amount cheaper price of living. I've been to the area 2 times within the last 3 yrs and it seemed really down to earth. Plus, I like the enviroment and atmosphere in Nor.Cal in "Sacto". I would appreciate If any of you residents/locals could share some Input about living there. I know visiting somewhere is totally different than residing there.

So give me the Pro's and Con's If you would. I work in the Commercial Heating and Air Conditioning field and don't think I would have a hard time finding job there.

Thanks...
The cost of living is high in Sacramento as well. I would do a cost of living comparison at Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed. I live in a Sacramento suburb and my cost of living is 15% higher than the national average. You would probably like the weather here. It does get hot in the summer, but it is a dry heat. Winters here will be much warmer than in South Dakota. You will likely never see snow in the Sacramento area. Traffic congestion is another thing you will experience in Sacramento. This area is still growing and traffic gets worse every year. If you are looking for recreational opportunities, you will find them here. We are 2 hours from the ocean and 2 hours from Lake Tahoe. Good luck in making your decision.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 05:18 AM..

Old 08-27-2007, 09:29 AM

238 posts, read 1,316,160 times
Quote:
Winters here will be much warmer than in South Dakota
That's SD as in San Diego, not South Dakota.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:50 AM

10 posts, read 56,911 times
I genuinely enjoy living in the greater Sacramento area. I live in Roseville, but work primarily in downtown Sac. In my opinion we are incredibly underated. I realize that everyone has different tastes-but I stay very busy here and don't think it is boring. Good food, shows, ballet, plays, music... I challenge anyone that says there isn't much to do-they just aren't out doing it! Do you enjoy the outdoors? I am an avid backpacker and am in the Sierra's every other weekend. Rock-climbing, trail running, mountain biking, kayaking, river rafting, skiing at Folsom Lake. In the winter, snow skiing (I like North Shore Tahoe myself.) And as you know-we're centrally located to everything. (And yes-it matters to me because I DO take advantage of all the great places nearby. Lake Tahoe, Napa, SF, Monterey, Santa Cruz, Yosemite...) We just went winetasting in Amador county recently! Catch a great AAA ball game with the Rivercats...you get my point. I will say however that the traffic isn't great. HWY 80 is ugly headed from the 'burbs to Downtown Sac and vice versa in the afternoon...but it's not a deal breaker.
p.s. My husband lived in SD for 10 years and although he sometimes misses the overall weather there, he says he is much happier here!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:57 AM

424 posts, read 2,697,231 times
I think you will like Sacramento just fine compared to San Diego. I lived in Chula Vista for a couple of years, but it was a long time ago. Unless you live right by the ocean, so much of San Diego has spread toward the desert the heat will be about the same. I always heard that SD was foggy, but I find Sacramento to have more fog. It will be colder here in the winter, but it rarely snows or goes below freezing. The cost of housing will be lower here, but not that much, and I agree you should be able to find a job without too much trouble in your industry.

You can get to the coast in a couple of hours if you miss it. One of the things I missed in San Diego was getting away to the mountains or lakes, rivers. All of these were far away and the closer areas were so crowded, I couldn't stand it. The downtown area of Sacramento has been greatly improved over the last few years. I never thought SD was such a happening place, but maybe it's just me. There's lots of clubs, theatres, and other entertainment near downtown and theatres and shopping in the suburbs. Or San Francisco is just a couple hours away.

Let me know what's important to you regarding a place to live, and I can give you more info.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:42 PM

87 posts, read 700,115 times
Well after reading alot of posts, I can give you more of an insight of my personal tastes. San Diego is a great city for one. It is totally different than any other city in Southern California. That is why all Southern Calfornians don't consider it actually part of Southern Cal. It's weird I don't know why...ahaha. San Diego is extremely foggy in general. It has the 2nd highest content of fog in the entire state under the Bay Area. I've lived here all of my life and like Nor.Cal because, The greenery, More Rain, and it's not as developed wall to wall like Southern Cal. I love the outdoors and am into Fishing, hiking, camping and offroading. I love the Sierra's also. I don't know, Sometimes you just need a different change of scenery in your life. I just like the atmosphere in Nor.Cal and in Sacto especially. It's just me. I also know people are people everywhere you go, but People seem alot friendlier in Nor.Cal and a little more laid back than Southern Californians all around.

Nor.Cal doesn't have the endless congestedness with buildings and hundreds of miles of bumper to bumper traffic like So.Cal. People are alot more plastic down here and always have to keep up with The Jones 24/7. It's the Hollywood image everyone tries to portray down here. But to close the ending. I'm just getting tired of living down here in general. I have a baby on the way and So.Cal is not a great place to raise children anymore. It's too wild I think.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:05 AM

163 posts, read 774,055 times
Yup. Move to Sac. That last post pretty much sums why you'd like it here perfectly.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:09 PM

8 posts, read 20,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Currie View Post
Yup. Move to Sac. That last post pretty much sums why you'd like it here perfectly.

I agree, if you like that kind of stuff, you belong here. Now only one word of caution, wages for construction may not be as high as they are in SD... you might want to look at that before going too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento