Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 12:10 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,779,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Family oriented? Churches? I don't think this area is a good fit for you. Try elsewhere IMHO.
If Roseville, Folsom, and El Dorado Hills aren't family oriented, with those big megachurches, praytell what are? Especially for people coming from San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 12:13 PM

6 posts, read 17,081 times
Quote:
Family oriented? Churches? I don't think this area is a good fit for you. Try elsewhere IMHO.
Thanks Majin, I appreciate that. Where would you recommend?

Old 07-23-2014, 12:15 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,234,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennilove214 View Post
Thanks Majin, I appreciate that. Where would you recommend?
Kansas.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
All of the three places you mentioned above are swell. For commute sake, go for Folsom.
Thanks Nick. I've been seeing some iffy opinions of El Dorado Hills specifically (particularly as the community has grown over the last 5-10 years), but we were looking at a preschool there and the homes on Craigslist seem lovely. I guess we'll need to spend some weekends in the area before we commit to a place. Any neighborhoods to avoid?

Old 07-23-2014, 12:23 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,779,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennilove214 View Post
Thanks Nick. I've been seeing some iffy opinions of El Dorado Hills specifically (particularly as the community has grown over the last 5-10 years), but we were looking at a preschool there and the homes on Craigslist seem lovely. I guess we'll need to spend some weekends in the area before we commit to a place. Any neighborhoods to avoid?
Not really. Even the modest parts of those towns are better than most if not all of the City of Sacramento proper.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:51 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,234,326 times
Quote:
Not really. Even the modest parts of those towns are better than most if not all of the City of Sacramento proper.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:01 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,952,247 times
Folsom and El Dorado Hills are probably your best bet. Roseville would be quite a hike, no need to drive that far. Don't know your budget, but you also have good schools and good neighborhoods in Cameron Park and shingle Springs that might be a little bit more budget friendly.

I would say the thing to watch is the school district boundaries. It is not always obvious, it is always important to call the school and verify. El Dorado Hills especially has some quirky school boundaries. The schools are all highly rated, but some require a longer drive than what would seem necessary. Blackstone is a new community south of Highway 50. They attend high school in diamond Springs which is 14 miles up the highway. There is a good chance we will have another high school before your kids are that old, but certainly never any guarantees.

Another thing to watch is the HOA fees and Mello Roos taxes. Most of the gated communities, and certainly most of the newer communities have high extra expense. Just make sure you understand and factor that into your budget when looking at homes.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:24 PM

Thanks Nina!

Old 07-24-2014, 12:05 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,781,743 times
Quote:
Disregard this comment jenny. All of the areas you mentioned fit this criteria. What type of church are you looking for? There's quite a few mega churches, as well as all sizes.

Quote:
If Roseville, Folsom, and El Dorado Hills aren't family oriented, with those big megachurches, praytell what are? Especially for people coming from San Francisco.
Opps. you beat me to it.

I live in Folsom so if you have any specific questions feel free to ask...maybe you can tell us what type of neighborhood you are looking for besides family friendly. I do think it would be best if you visited the cities & neighborhoods you are interested in, maybe go out with a realtor.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:34 AM

Thanks caligirlz. Our last few churches were smaller than a mega-church (two had 50-60 in the congregation, one had 400) - haven't tried a megachurch, not sure if we'd like it. Children's ministry is important to us, along with good pastoral care and a real sense of community - lots of ways to get to know each other. Denomination is not as important as community - our last few churches were Episcopal, Presbyterian, and C&MA.

Neighborhood-wide, we're looking for great playgrounds & schools, houses with yards, neighborhoods where people know each other on the block and hang out a lot outside. No need for brand-new home, since we're looking more for affordable than custom/state-of-the-art. Again, community is more important to us than anything else. Hoping to stay for a long time and watch the kids grow up and graduate here.

Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento