Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:09 PM

9 posts, read 12,219 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. First post here. As the title states, I am about to move cross country from Atlanta, GA to somewhere withing 1 hr of Stockton. I am in the Army National Guard and will be a helicopter pilot in Stockton so I will not be working there every day, but will need to be there a few times a week so I would like to keep my commute right at under an hour or so if possible. From everything that I have read and in my limited experience in Stockton, it isn't exactly the nicest place or a place I'd like to live so I am looking for suggestions on someplace that might suit me a little better.

I am married with no kids (yet) and my wife and I are in our early 30's/late 20's. She is currently working on her masters in education and is going to be looking for teaching jobs at an elementary school. We are both active people and like to run/bike and live in an active area. Ideally it would be great if we could find a place that is safe and nice to live in where we could walk to a coffee shop or local pub/restaurant.

I know Stockton isn't really surrounded by nice small cities as Galt and Lodi appeared to be farming towns, Elk Grove appeared to be small. I have looked more towards the Bay Area and recently was in Brentwood and that seemed really nice, but small and not much night life, but might be my best options so far. I really liked Davis, but that is a little too far from Stockton. So what other options do I have that will still leave me close to Stockton with some of the things that I am looking for? I appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 02:21 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Go with Stockton! The north and west part of Stockton (Lincoln Village) is very nice. The downtown area leaves a bit to be desired as does the east side along Hwy 99.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:39 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Davis is within an hour, especially as you'll be reverse commuting. Sacramento is a bit closer. Living in downtown Davis or Sacramento's Midtown neighborhood are really your two best options for being able to walk to coffee shops/local restaurants. Other than that, I guess you could live in Livermore. You'd be closer to the Bay Area, but it's pretty boring and more expensive. Or just live in Stockton. Lincoln Village isn't bad... I wouldn't call it very nice, but there certainly more to do in Stockton than Lodi, Galt, or Elk Grove -- although Elk Grove is closet to Sacramento, which has more to do than Stockton.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:44 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,263,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Go with Stockton!

Old 11-17-2011, 04:20 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Davis and Lodi are the same size. Lodi is a great location if you are that bunched up about Stockton. Close to Sacramento, the mountains , the ocean and a quick drive to the National Guard facility at the Stockton Airport.

Brentwood is a very nice family bedroom community. The commute would not be that nice coming in on HWY4. However you could take the Brentwood freeway to the 205/5 that would be about 45 minutes depending on traffic.

Manteca is another option and is about the same size as Lodi/Davis. Heck it even has a Bass Proshop. It is very close to the East Bay and only a ten minute commute to the Guard Station on Hwy99.

You could get even closer to the Bay Area by living in Tracy.

Kind of a bad time to be looking for teaching jobs in California. Bright side you have two State Colleges and one State University within one hour of Stockton. Not to mention UOP in Stockton.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:43 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Try Linden east of Stockton. Easy commute to the airport too!

Old 11-17-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Try Linden east of Stockton. Easy commute to the airport too!

Great little town. Sounds a bit sleepy though for the OP's tastes. Well there is that active nightlife till about 9:00pm when Rinaldi's closes.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:06 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Com'on Majin!

There are some nice areas in the west and north part of Stockton such as Spanos Park and Lincoln Village.

I don't think I would have a hard time finding some run down neighborhoods in Sacramento where you live.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Com'on Majin!

There are some nice areas in the west and north part of Stockton such as Spanos Park and Lincoln Village.

I don't think I would have a hard time finding some run down neighborhoods in Sacramento where you live.
Not even worth wasting your time humboldtrat.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:36 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
When I've posted a link it's been removed, but there's another website with 'city' that posts 'ratings' about 'crime'. Lodi comes off as average. Much better than Stockton for crime rate and a fairly nice, low-key town. Lots of wineries to keep you busy on weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento