Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 12:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,180 times

Advertisements

We just moved back here from Southern Cal and it seems that Stockton has become 10000% worse since we have been gone. We specifically asked about crime in the area before we took our apartment and were told at the time that the gated community made it very safe to be here.
Well since we have been here we have had shoot outs about ever 3rd day or so, the guy upstairs is growing pot, there are drug deals everywhere in the complex everyday. Just 2 days ago there was someone shot in the apt a few doors away from us, there was a shoot out two nights ago on the other side of us and today, there was another shooting.
We spoke with the landlord and were told that they 'would have to speak to their boss about it'. "it" being that we don't feel safe here and want to move out and break our lease.
It is more than dangerous here. I work late and sometime don't get home until after 1:30am and I am taking my life into my own hands coming here from work.
How do I get out of this lease? I do know that they are required to do their due diligence in finding another tenant to take over this lease but I don't think I can wait until they figure out what "due diligence" means.
They did mention that they have other apartment buildings int he area and that maybe we could transfer our lease to one of them. Does that seem like something that I can force?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 12:45 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiolle View Post
We just moved back here from Southern Cal and it seems that Stockton has become 10000% worse since we have been here. We specifically asked about crime in the area before we took our apartment and were told at the time that the gated community masde it very safe to be here.
Well since we have been here we have had shoot outs about ever 3rd day or so, the guy upstairs is growing pot, there are drug deals everywhere in the complex everyday. Just 2 days ago there there someone shot in the apt a few doors away from us, there was a shoot out two nights ago and today, there was another shooting.
We spoke with the landlord and were told that they 'would have to speak to their boss about it' it being that we don't feel safe here and want to move out and break our lease.
It is more than dangerous here. I work late and sometime don't get home until after 1:30am and I am taking my life into my own hands coming here from work.
How do I get out of this lease? I do know that they are required to do their due diligence in finding another tenant to take over this lease but I don't think I can wait until they figure out what "due diligence" means.
They did mention that they have other apartment buildings int he area and that maybe we could transfer our lease to one of them. Does taht seem like something that I can force?
This is the Sacramento forum. Stockton is not part of Sacramento.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:56 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
This is the Sacramento forum. Stockton is not part of Sacramento.
There is no Stockton forum and people inquiring about it habitually use this forum to do so because of proximity. Folsom, Roseville, El Dorada Hills, Nevada City, etc. aren't "Sacramento" either but are routinely addressed here.

To the OP, this may help: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...k/catenant.pdf

Old 12-17-2011, 02:27 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
LOL @ a gate making it very safe in Stockton. There's really two sides to Stockton. A good amount of north Stocton isn't all THAT bad. Boring, but not any worse than any other economically depressed valley town. The other side of Stockton is basically the bad parts of Oakland. Considering how inexpensive the "good" parts of Stockton area, I have no idea why anyone lives in the bad parts.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:07 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
There is no Stockton forum and people inquiring about it habitually use this forum to do so because of proximity. Folsom, Roseville, El Dorada Hills, Nevada City, etc. aren't "Sacramento" either but are routinely addressed here.

To the OP, this may help: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...k/catenant.pdf

With the exception of Nevada City, those places you mentioned are in the Sacramento Metro area. Stockton is in a different metro area.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:43 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,248,183 times
"Brookside" is the upscale community in Stockton. There is a marina and the homes are very nice. It's somewhat pricey but thats where middle-class people live.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:26 PM

127 posts, read 209,155 times
My personal opinion, why would you want to live in Stockton at all? I've heard it's the worst crime rate in CA. Who did you ask about the crime stats, I hope not the complex itself.

Last edited by junie136; 12-26-2011 at 02:35 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 02:33 PM

127 posts, read 209,155 times
Write a letter to the management outlining what you've seen and heard with the gunshots, drug dealing, pot smoking ,etc. and tell them you do not feel that you are safe living there. It is your right to feel that you are safe in your apartment and that you are not obligated to stay there in such conditions. You might want to check out a tenants rights book. Then start looking for something else and be ready to take them to small claims court if needed. You might even get punitive damages from the judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento