Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:50 PM

36 posts, read 232,399 times

Advertisements

In my upcoming move (probably in November)

What's weather like in the Davis-Sacramento area

sunny days?
raining days? (does it rain all day?)
how hot it gets? how long?

Winter...how cold does it get?

Any info for year-round weather welcomed...

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 12:06 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,149,490 times
Highs generally in the low to mid 60's, somewhat overcast, rains about 20% or so of the time, rain frequently is fairly heavy for a few hours. Probability of rain is perhaps 6-10 days of the month. Low in the evening would generally be about 40.

Dead of winter typically is a high in the mid 50's and low in the mid to upper 30's. We get below freezing for a low about 10-20 times per winter, but not by a whole bunch. Lowest high I can remember was in the mid 40's, it is very rare to not at least hit 50 for a high in the middle of winter.

Summer is generally dry, and hot. Highs in the low 90's to 100's, I think we average around 12-15 days per summer exceeding 100. The Delta Breeze usually cools the nights down to about 60, so it is usually only hot 1/2 the day, and much cooler in the shade in the afternoon. Literally no rain from May through September, and very little in October.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:02 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,673,851 times
Where are you moving from? And Welcome to one of the great weather cities EVER - or at least I loved it.

Summers are HOT - super hot. I've seen a full week of over 110 in August many years. And it stays around 90s to 100 from End of may to beginning of Oct. But it's wonderful. At 8 pm at dusk it's a cozy 80 degrees and there is a lotof "sitting on the porch with a cool drink" - very good BBQ weather

Fall is amazing - the trees do change - cool breezes - mostly 60s from Oct to Dec.

Winter is short and hardly cold at all. In the 40s and rarely dips low enough to snow (and only a little tiny bit, and probably only at night)

Spring comes early and is beautiful. It starts to warms up in Feb - and March, back to the 60s. The trees bloom and the whole region fills with the wonderful blossom smells.

It's sunny 80% of the year - rains are welcome and nice - not big thunderstorms like midwest.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Where are you moving from? And Welcome to one of the great weather cities EVER - or at least I loved it.

Summers are HOT - super hot. I've seen a full week of over 110 in August many years. And it stays around 90s to 100 from End of may to beginning of Oct. But it's wonderful. At 8 pm at dusk it's a cozy 80 degrees and there is a lotof "sitting on the porch with a cool drink" - very good BBQ weather

Fall is amazing - the trees do change - cool breezes - mostly 60s from Oct to Dec.

Winter is short and hardly cold at all. In the 40s and rarely dips low enough to snow (and only a little tiny bit, and probably only at night)

Spring comes early and is beautiful. It starts to warms up in Feb - and March, back to the 60s. The trees bloom and the whole region fills with the wonderful blossom smells.

It's sunny 80% of the year - rains are welcome and nice - not big thunderstorms like midwest.
Thanks CityGirl72, I'm from Denver, CO...

Speaking of HOT...is it dry? or can feel humidity?

Old 09-03-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Highs generally in the low to mid 60's, somewhat overcast, rains about 20% or so of the time, rain frequently is fairly heavy for a few hours. Probability of rain is perhaps 6-10 days of the month. Low in the evening would generally be about 40.

Dead of winter typically is a high in the mid 50's and low in the mid to upper 30's. We get below freezing for a low about 10-20 times per winter, but not by a whole bunch. Lowest high I can remember was in the mid 40's, it is very rare to not at least hit 50 for a high in the middle of winter.

Summer is generally dry, and hot. Highs in the low 90's to 100's, I think we average around 12-15 days per summer exceeding 100. The Delta Breeze usually cools the nights down to about 60, so it is usually only hot 1/2 the day, and much cooler in the shade in the afternoon. Literally no rain from May through September, and very little in October.
Thanks! Winter descriptions sounds like what I like.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:53 PM

815 posts, read 2,692,391 times
My favorite time of year weather wise is coming up in about another month in Sacramento. Every year on Labour Day weekend I have a BBQ with some friends and I celebrate the beginning of the end of another long, scorching hot summer. Usually around this time a lot of people I know are a little drained and bleached out from the summer heat and are excited about the approach of fall. Mid October to late November is really really pleasant in Sacramento. The air begins to move again and the days and nights become significantly cooler. Usually mid 60's to mid 70's in the daytime and mid 40's to low 50's at night around this time of year. You would really like it.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:53 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,863,796 times
I was in Sac the last ten days and it was spectacular! Mid 90s to low 100s every day but very low dewpoints; so low that the "heat index" runs lower than the actual temperature. I came back to Portland last night and even though it's nearly 30 degrees colder here today, I can definitely feel the increased humidity.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:30 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,673,851 times
Sacramento - has absolutely no humidity - most of Calif has zero humidity. That question always makes me laugh! I guess since I lived in Calif my whole life I never considered humidity before, cuz it seems every other state seems to have it.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:35 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,149,490 times
These comments about the humidity are very accurate. Living my entire life back east and in the mid west you really can't believe the difference in how temperature feels when humidity is low. I was generally getting uncomfortable around 80 degrees due to the stickiness and density of the summer air back east, but out here 95 is actually more comfortable than 80 was there.

Also, the days are usually only hot for 1/2 of the day. Generally, the evening and morning are pretty cool, and we've actually started days forecasted to be 100 in sweatshirts.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 26,866 times
Default We have flooding almost every year

when winter begins. Last year we had lows in the 20's & last summer was pretty mild as well as this year. Sadly the air quality in Sacramento is horrible. There is a constant Brown haze that is almost black on some days. Downtown Sacramento is no longer visible from 15 miles away. The air quality makes the seasons here much less desirable than they once were. Sacramento used to be a great place to live because it was considered clean & healthy. Its really sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento