Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:18 PM

44 posts, read 136,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc916 View Post
Folsom, Roseville, and Fair Oaks have some of the lowest crime rates in the entire Sacramento area. They are middle/upper middle class suburbs and considered as very desirable areas to live..I live in Fair Oaks and really like it. And by the way regarding your link to the home for sale on Arlyn Way in Fair Oaks - I have a very good friend who lives around the corner from there. It's a nice quiet neighborhood with low crime. It is an older (1950's) very middle class area with modest homes (most on 1/4 acre lots) which doesn't appeal to some but may appeal to others.
Thanks for the response! That's good to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenview94602 View Post
Don't forget Davis! Davis has great schools, a trader joe's / nugget market (like an upscale whole foods with amazing sandwhiches). Davis is a college town, but there are lots of quiet residential neighborhoods. The only crimes that ever really happen are bike theft. It is a HUGE HUGE HUGE bike town, there are bike lanes and bike paths going out to Sac and all the other towns in the county. There are a lot of great restaurants. It is very safe. I have friends who are female who walk the streets in the middle of the night and nothing happens (esp if you are atleast two people). Its very safe, and contrary to the media reports, its not really a protest town or full of crazies. Its actually very quiet, a mix of suburban, college town, rural farmland on the outskirts, good variety of food, and a strong community aspect you should take a look at it.

Davis Wiki - The definitive resource for Davis, California has everything you could ever want to know about Davis. I lived there three years and I absolutely loved the town. I plan on moving back eventually.
Lots of people tell me about Davis but it seems financially out of reach, no? I've heard cool things about it.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
FYI - Metrolist provides the local MLS service to realtors. They have a public website that is probably the most accurate in the area. Homes and real estate in northern California - MetroList the official MLS hope this doesn't get me in trouble with the mods, as I have absolutely no benefit from suggesting this site.
Great link! Thanks!!!

Old 03-02-2012, 01:18 PM

29 posts, read 66,320 times
I just wanted to say that I will also be following this post. My husband has applied for a job in Rocklin. We're in the waiting stages to see if he's granted an interview, etc. As a fellow midwesterner, but from Ohio (GO BUCKS!), I can relate to the OP's distaste, disdain, and overall grumpiness towards the weather out here. (as a major storm with potential tornadoes rolls through as I type this). One day it's 65, next is 35. Hardly any sun.

And like the OP, I also have a small child to consider. So, safety, school (eventually), and affordability are all very heavily considered.

But most importantly, the idea of a lot more sun, a lot less rain, no (or hardly) any snow are so inviting! Keep for fingers crossed for my family!

And OP - good luck on the continual research. I can't wait to hear how your April visit goes!

Old 03-02-2012, 04:53 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternguy View Post
Here's Folsom. 31 "violent crimes" seems kinda goofy to me. Am I just looking at the wrong parts of town or what?

158 Glenn Drive, Folsom CA | MLS# 12004327 - Trulia

The thing is Folsom has a state prison so a lot of the violent crime stats that you see likely are coming from there. With regard to burglaries, that is usually when some one breaks in and steals something. If someone is home and they break in, it is classified as a home invasion-big difference.

Sacramento is different than Detroit. Things are not as black and white here. Literally and figuratively speaking. There is a lot more varience between good and bad and back and fourth. Sacramento is the type of place where a lot of the bad neighborhoods don't look as bad as say Detroit. Especially during the day. Just kind of grubby.

Generally speaking violent crime is not as bad as other places. But property crime (burglary, car break ins, vandalism, etc) is a real issue, even in nice areas. As a general rule of thumb people in the Sac area do not leave their doors unlocked or valuables in the car. And the house is secure when leaving the house. You have to use city smarts at all times in most of California.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
You have to use city smarts at all times in most of California.
Good advice. I've never really been the type to leave my doors unlocked anyway. Even in "crime free" neighborhoods - there's always the events that happen, randomly. Who wants to be the poor soul who has the weirdo walk right through their front door, out of the blue? Common sense goes a long way.

Based on everybody's opinions, I'm definitely interested in focusing on Fair Oaks, Lincoln, Roseville, and Loomis (and Folsom - but I'm really gonna inspect that joint Johnny Cash said some nice things about it, though, haha).

Thank you all for your generosity!

I'll follow up and let you know how it goes!

Old 03-02-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJC99 View Post
I can't wait to hear how your April visit goes!
Thanks! I'll keep you posted. It's a tough, psychological step out of Michigan - or any place that you've lived and called home. I'm anxious to get to a new plateau - but have to admit, leaving home is a bit scary with a family. Decisions were a lot easier to make when I was 20 (unfortunately, I lacked the wisdom to make good ones - haha).

Good luck to you! Let's get outta here!

Old 03-02-2012, 05:30 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Quote:
Here's Folsom. 31 "violent crimes" seems kinda goofy to me. Am I just looking at the wrong parts of town or what?

158 Glenn Drive, Folsom CA | MLS# 12004327 - Trulia

Well, if you look at the colors from the Trulia crime map, these areas are mostly green (meaning lower than average crime rate). Scanning over to the red (higher crime) area you will find Old Town with shopping, restaurants and bars, and the orange ones are the malls and other shopping areas. Shopping centers and restaurant/bar areas always will have higher crime rates than neighborhoods - there is more opportunity for the bad guys

Scanning out on Folsom, you see mostly green with hints of more crime in just a few area - and you would see why if you drove through those areas.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:39 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:
Good advice. I've never really been the type to leave my doors unlocked anyway. Even in "crime free" neighborhoods - there's always the events that happen, randomly. Who wants to be the poor soul who has the weirdo walk right through their front door, out of the blue? Common sense goes a long way.

Based on everybody's opinions, I'm definitely interested in focusing on Fair Oaks, Lincoln, Roseville, and Loomis (and Folsom - but I'm really gonna inspect that joint Johnny Cash said some nice things about it, though, haha).

Thank you all for your generosity!

I'll follow up and let you know how it goes!
There is a folsom prison museum actually. Generally speaking Folsom state prison is really seperated from most of town. Its got the water on one side and small rolling hills on another. It is extremely secure as well, no one is getting out of that place. It was built back when folsom was country, I don't think anyone imagined the town was going to be in the nexus of upper middle class suburbia.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
There is a folsom prison museum actually. Generally speaking Folsom state prison is really seperated from most of town. Its got the water on one side and small rolling hills on another. It is extremely secure as well, no one is getting out of that place. It was built back when folsom was country, I don't think anyone imagined the town was going to be in the nexus of upper middle class suburbia.
It may be nice to have the prison near by, in case I ever need a vacation from my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento