Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 AM

29 posts, read 65,880 times

Advertisements

Let me start with this disclaimer that I very well could be getting ahead of myself. But it never hurts to have information, right? My husband has an interview with his company for a promotion/relocation to Rocklin. I have been reading a lot of these threads lately, just to get informed. I'd like a smidge more info.

I know Rocklin, Roseville, Folsom, Fair Oaks, and El Dorado Hils are places we should seriously consider living (if he gets the job). This info is based on many of your reviews/opinions. We are a family of 3, my daughter is 15 months old. So, safety and a feel of neighborly/community is important. Schools will be very important in a blink of an eye.

But we also don't have loads of cash in our pockets (who does these days?). So trying to find the best for our dollar is also important. Can you folks tell me more about Orangevale, Antelope, Loomis, or even Citrus Heights? Are these places that a family like ours needs to stay away? or are there pockets of nice neighborhoods, then a couple blocks down, some shady areas?

I wish I could give you an idea of what our rent range could be, but I have NO idea what his salary would be. (again, i'm probably getting ahead of myself. but at the same time, i have a good feeling). And we would also have my pay - whatever that would be.

If hubby gets the job, I will need to find a job. Any suggestions on where to look? I am sort of a jack of all office trades. I'm curious about working either for a University or maybe the state. If we were to live in someplace like Roseville, what kind of commute would I look at for UCD? Or CSUS? What other schools/universities are in the area?

I appreciate any info you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 09:50 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,263,750 times
It depends on where you are in those areas. Most of Fair Oaks and Carmichael is about as safe as it gets. The exception is the areas around several apartment complexes. Orangevale isn't quite as good as Fair Oaks, but I wouldn't pass it up if I were to find a good deal on a house there.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,782,627 times
If my spouse got a job in Rocklin, there is no way I'd even consider living in Folsom, Fair Oaks, or El Dorado Hills. The commute would be on surface streets with lots of lights & stop signs.

I would suggest that you check some of the other topics were people are asking about renting, because I know that I've posted lots of websites for property management companies that you can check out for the current listings/prices.

As for jobs, I would suggest that you do your research in advance for jobs with the state or university. I don't know if they are hiring for general clerical positions. I don't know if you have to go to a specific website for state/university jobs, or if you can do a search on a job search engine such as monster.com or careerbuilder.com .... The other job option to consider is health care, be it hospitals, medical groups, long term care, etc....they are always hiring, and are a good place to check for jobs...again, on line.

I wouldn't willingly to do the daily commute from Roseville into downtown Sac area for a job. That commute will be following along with everyone else, from 4-5 lane freeway that narrows into 2-3 lanes, with many twists & turns near the inner core. It can get really slow, like stop & go slow, especially with all the merging freeways.... But, many people do it.

I can't really tell you about Orangevale, Antelope, Loomis, or even Citrus Heights...as I've only really driven through, and or visited friends who lived there. The only area I would personally consider out of that list is Loomis, for sort of the reason you gave, there are good pockets surrounded by shady areas.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:15 PM

261 posts, read 1,346,398 times
I understand the need to keep the rent prices down, but what is your price range? You might be able to just stay near his work in Rocklin, or maybe you don't want to be there. If you read about Roseville/Rocklin/Lincoln, they're all nice and safe. The commute to downtown would not be fun. But you're not guaranteed a job in Sacramento in the first place. I agree that you probably would not want to live in Fair Oaks or Folsom just because it would not be a fun drive on all of those surface streets for your husband every day.

But what is your price range?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento