Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:56 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times

Advertisements

[quote=NorCal Dude;23439098]
Quote:

Just because a place isn't fancy pancy does not mean it is not good. Besides the OP said he is not trying to "bust his wallet". He ain't askin' for a botique fit for the Queen of England. I happen to think there are a lot of good places to get a good hardy breakfast in greater Sac. My favorite of course being The Ugly Mug Cafe in Loomis.

I think Sacramento's autocentric nature causes a lot of people to over look good places to eat. People just see a sea of strip malls and it never registers to them that there is good food to be had. They just write it off. San Jose has the same issue with people doing this...
Even the comparatively fancy places in my posts won't bust the wallet--I just wanted to make clear what I was recommending. My favorite places for breakfast are Jim-Denny's, a 10-seat diner in a funky little building next to a closed bus terminal on 12th Street, and Capitol Park Cafe, on the ground floor of an SRO hotel that shares its bathroom with Henry's Bar, probably the divey-est dive bar in all of downtown. I think my own non-autocentric nature is why I personally don't know a lot of breakfast places, since I generally don't get out into strip mall land--and I certainly don't like the idea of driving before I've had breakfast and a couple cups of coffee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 07:40 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Even the comparatively fancy places in my posts won't bust the wallet--I just wanted to make clear what I was recommending. My favorite places for breakfast are Jim-Denny's, a 10-seat diner in a funky little building next to a closed bus terminal on 12th Street, and Capitol Park Cafe, on the ground floor of an SRO hotel that shares its bathroom with Henry's Bar, probably the divey-est dive bar in all of downtown. I think my own non-autocentric nature is why I personally don't know a lot of breakfast places, since I generally don't get out into strip mall land--and I certainly don't like the idea of driving before I've had breakfast and a couple cups of coffee!
Well yea, if your whole world is 4 square miles than I could see how you miss a lot of good places for breakfast.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:23 AM

314 posts, read 487,270 times
Fox and Goose for Breakfast in Sacramento I went there one morning with a friend who works with Sac State students. It is so good. Get the devonshire cream for your scones and you wont regret it. Fox & Goose Public House - Downtown - Sacramento, CA

Old 03-17-2012, 03:42 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Loved the Capitol Park Cafe (always referred to it as Henry's by us 'cause it's shorter) and you could get a good Bloody Mary to have with your breakfast. Our granddaughters also loved it when we took them there for breakfast. They always asked to go there. The place has character, aided by the downtown denizen regulars from the SROs.

Hated Fox and Goose. The damn place had attitude.

Definitely hard to beat Jim-Denny's. Ya might have to wait for a seat but decidedly good breakfast and not at all bad burgers. Besides, we could walk there in 10-15 minutes. Very often Sunday breakfast/brunch for us was chili rellenos from 524 on 12th Street we'd order out and bring home. That was a short walk as well. Breakfast of Champions! A side of guacamole helped.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:39 PM

I make a mean breakfast so it's probably the meal I eat out for the least unless I'm out of town, aside from the occasional "we have company" brunch type of thing. Forgot about Fox & Goose but I don't think I have actually had breakfast there.

A bunch of the state office buildings have assorted cafes inside that serve breakfast--they very from very good to not so great, and some are amazingly cheap (like the LOB Cafe, you have to go through a metal detector to enter the building but it's worth it.) The cafe in the PERS building is also a great place for breakfast. In most cases these spots are not obvious--if you don't work in the building you might not even know it's there!

Old 03-17-2012, 06:45 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,980 times
Lake forest cafe Folsom

Old 03-17-2012, 07:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I make a mean breakfast so it's probably the meal I eat out for the least unless I'm out of town, aside from the occasional "we have company" brunch type of thing. Forgot about Fox & Goose but I don't think I have actually had breakfast there.

A bunch of the state office buildings have assorted cafes inside that serve breakfast--they very from very good to not so great, and some are amazingly cheap (like the LOB Cafe, you have to go through a metal detector to enter the building but it's worth it.) The cafe in the PERS building is also a great place for breakfast. In most cases these spots are not obvious--if you don't work in the building you might not even know it's there!
You're right. Most people don't know about them. The Bateson Building cafeteria used to be good about 20 years ago but went down hill from there. More recently, the twin towers and the Resources Building suffered the same fate. Now that I think about it, the Sixth Floor Cafeteria in the Capitol as well. How dare all of them change hands!

Great memories. Sad finalities.

Lunch anyone? More great memories and sad finishes. No wonder we had to move elsewhere.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:38 PM

Lunch is a realm of possibilities. I can't even work my way through all the new lunch and dinner places before more open--and then there are the food trucks! A lot of the old standards are still going strong, and they have a lot of new company. Heck, a couple of the food truck operators are opening up brick-and-mortar restaurants (which is the real reason why the local restaurant old guard backed the silly local "30 minute" food truck ordinance so strongly!)

Old 03-18-2012, 11:39 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro View Post
Lake forest cafe Folsom
I second that

Old 03-22-2012, 09:41 AM

141 posts, read 534,914 times
Stick with granola and yogurt or a bowl of low sugar cereal. 30% obesity rate in the USA is partly due to our thinking that a huge fatty breakfast is what we need, and is "ok", to get the day started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento