Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 01:34 AM

80 posts, read 132,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Just got caught in an obvious speed trap on el camino ave Way to spend my tax dollars

Anybody else get hit with one of these scams lately? There is virtually no way to avoid them as they set them up to virtually guarantee you will be at least 10mph over the speed limit during non-rush hours and they set up on bikes in blind spots.
Those cops are ALWAYS there. Especially on the overpass on the Del Paso side of El Camino. It's an obvious spot because the stretch between lights is so long; same with the stretch from Arden/I80 ramp to Ethan Way. Sucks but it is a smart way for them to meet quotas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 06:52 PM

152 posts, read 230,867 times
I'm pretty much always at or only 5-7mph over the speed limit on highways or freeways.

If I'm in a School Zone when children are present or any high pedestrian area I will obey everything. Never gotten a speeding ticket. Got a "California Stop" ticket when I was 16 and that's all I've ever gotten.

Last edited by NineOneSix; 03-31-2012 at 08:19 PM..

Old 04-01-2012, 01:21 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,512,325 times
Back in 1996 I got a ticket for 56 in a 55 zone. No idea why he singled me out. Said he had been following me for 5 miles.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:53 PM

815 posts, read 2,688,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I go 65 on the freeway & im no senior. I always go the posted speed limit no matter where i am cause i sure as hell cant afford a very costly ticket. Let us know how much your fine is. I guessing its gonna be over $500.00. Ouch !
Well, la dee da. Aren't you the special law abider. You get a gold star.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:39 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,512,325 times
Well, speeding is a gamble. I have decided I do not have money to gamble with.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:11 AM

505 posts, read 1,658,677 times
Quote:
50 in a 35 in a 4 lane wide street in dry whether in light traffic is not wreckless driving.
But it is illegal. Hence you got the ticket.

If you go 75 on a 65 highway, most cops won't really care unless you do 80 or more. Going 50 in a residential or commercial zone in a 35 mph area is a little more dangerous because you have stop signs, intersections, pedestrians, schoolbuses and, well, people. On the highway, you don't expect kids or bikes to pop out of nowhere.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:02 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,685,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Back in 1996 I got a ticket for 56 in a 55 zone. No idea why he singled me out. Said he had been following me for 5 miles.
Wow, that seems harsh.They don't allow that up to 5 miles over the speed limit? Did you fight the ticket?

Old 04-02-2012, 07:05 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,157,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
The speeding limit is way too slow. Its designed for seniors with bad vision, its not normal to be going that slow. Who goes 65 on the freeway? You'd get honked if you do!
I remember when the limit was 55. That used to also be the highest limit for optimal fuel efficiency but I don't think anyone cares about fuel efficiency anymore no matter how high gas prices go.

If you actually drove 65, that speed would seem fast to you once you got used to it.

Quote:
I got hit with 50 in a 35 after the business 80 overpass. --NO ONE-- goes 35 on that street in that area during non-rush hours.
Tell it to the judge. Just because no-one does it does not make it legal. The bottom line is that you knew the posted speed limit and made the decision to drive above it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgt View Post
I think the term "speed trap" is funny. Speed limits are usually clearly posted or at least common knowledge and nobody forced or fooled you into speeding so you can't really complain. You know what the consequences are if you get caught. If you don't like it slow down or continue to speed, pay the price.
Yup. It's not like it is some arcane blue-law.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,517,728 times
Quote:
I got hit with 50 in a 35 after the business 80 overpass. --NO ONE-- goes 35 on that street in that area during non-rush hours.
Good!! I had a friend who was killed by someone speeding through city streets. Broad daylight crossing in a cross walk and the dumbass didn't see her until it was to late. Manslaughter. Two sets of families devastated by the careless actions of selfish person.

Hopefully you learned your lesson.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,517,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDS! View Post
Those cops are ALWAYS there. Especially on the overpass on the Del Paso side of El Camino. It's an obvious spot because the stretch between lights is so long; same with the stretch from Arden/I80 ramp to Ethan Way. Sucks but it is a smart way for them to meet quotas.
Save lives.

The only way they meet quotas is by dumbasses speeding on city streets.

Obviously based on some of the comments in this thread "The Cops" will never be in short supply in meeting those quotas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento