Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 05:09 PM

5,535 posts, read 7,106,759 times

Advertisements

Bumped into this article:

"By and large, California is a state of mid-sized cities, and some of the most delightful urban places are the smaller downtowns. Often in older cities, these districts are manageable, pleasant and, very often these days, in the midst of a strong renaissance. "

"That’s why we at California Planning & Development Report are expanding our “best and worst downtowns” compilation beyond only the largest cities."

How they rated:
1. Pasadena
2. Santa Barbara
3. Chico
4. Berkeley
5. Santa Rosa

Honorable Mentions:
-Visalia
-San Mateo
-Ventura
-Riverside
-Santa Monica

Full Article:
California's Best And Worst Mid-Sized City Downtowns | California Planning & Development Report

I've stayed in Chico, I love the friendly downtown atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 05:27 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times
I miss Chico and I agree with the article. It is a fantastic town to work, go to school, and play in.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 6,161 times
I am moving back to Chico can you give any advise?

Old 12-12-2007, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,119 times
Hi there,

I have lived in Chico my entire 29 yrs except for a year of consulting after graduating from CSUC. MOD CUT

Also take a look at this map and click on "Cool Places In Chico" to see some slideshows of the park and other favorite places of mine.

http://www.chicorealestate.net/monopolymap.aspx (broken link)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by NewToCA; 12-12-2007 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: advertising in state forums is a violation of the Terms of Service

Old 12-12-2007, 10:07 PM

261 posts, read 1,350,693 times
Love, love, love Chico. It certainly deserves to be at the top.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:52 AM

154 posts, read 910,055 times
Yay, I'm so glad to hear these good things about Chico. I am thinking of relocation there from the Roseville (a suburb of Sacramento) area. I've been researching the Chico area for a long time now, the schools, daycaer centers, jobs, cost of living, etc.. But it's not the same as hearing real people talk about what it was like living there. That is usually more accurate than just reading the statistics on the internet. Thanks for all the info. Let me know if anyone has any more input on Chico or surrounding towns. My husband and I are in our early 30's, have an 18 yr old daughter, and want to move somewhere that would be good for the whole family. We love college towns because they always have good restaurants, fun things to do, etc.. And I'm sure there are quiet areas where we could live that are a little ways from the actual college. That is what we'll be looking for.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:42 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,106,759 times
Default Chico crime rates

I'm also thinking of moving there, but I have to admit the crime rates are disappointing. Here's the Enterprise-Record's website:

Chico Enterprise Record - Public Safety (http://www.chicoer.com/publicsafety - broken link)

There were huge problems last summer, AIUI,
mostly caused by the meth morons, I suppose.
It seems to be a problem everywhere out there.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:20 PM

154 posts, read 910,055 times
The meth problem seems to be a rapidly growing problem in a lot of nice areas. It's too bad. They need to find a way to clean that up, everywhere. I saw a nice neighborhood of Palm Springs turn ghetto in just a few short years. The good people seem to see it start happening, and they quickly move out, leaving behind the problem to grow and spread, one house at a time. I wish there was a way to stop that, but I don't see how.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:06 AM

24 posts, read 122,727 times
I loved growing up in Chico. Lots of great memories. Sadly my parents moved to Redding to take care of my grandma so there will be no more trips to my hometown anytime soon though they did good money on selling their house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento