U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 08:04 AM

5,093 posts, read 8,222,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Everywhere but downtown/midtown.

No, you're right - Oak Park, Del Paso Heights, Meadowview, and a few other spots have also lost their manners. Even moreso than downtown/midtown. But in much of the Sac region drivers are courteous.
I RARELY see that in Folsom, EDH, or Roseville.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:21 AM

244 posts, read 704,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The Sunrise Mall cruise, primarily annoying to me because it meant it took 45 minutes to get into:

The midnight movies, at Sunrise, Birdcage, Arden Fair, Tower Theater, the Crest--endless viewings of Wizards, The Song Remains The Same, Maximum Overdrive, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Blue Velvet, etcetera.

KZAP morning DJ Kevin "Boom-Boom" Anderson getting fired for the "Jimi Hendrix Choke-Off" contest, where he encouraged callers to impersonate Jimi Hendrix choking to death on his own vomit.

You could hear the Clash, Talking Heads and Devo on KZAP, and if you stayed up late, occasionally a snippet of Frank Zappa, the Damned or Metallica, but Tower Records was where one found the Butthole Surfers, Killdozer or Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel.

Although there were also some fine independent record stores too: the Beat (when it was in East Sacramento), Esoteric Records, Records on K Street (now on Broadway), Makoto Records, and so on--although a lot of their stock had old Tower stickers on it, generally purchased at Tower during good times and sold at the used-record stores for rent money during bad times.

Purple-haired hipsters next to business suits at the original Java City in the 1980s, and the original Capitol Garage in the 1990s. I don't remember if I ever saw anyone in business suits at Weatherstone, it was too far from office buildings.

The Cattle Club on Folsom Boulevard, alternating between gay dance club nights and hosting little-known bands like Nirvana and Soundgarden. Other music venues like One Edge Up/Galactica 2000, Club Can't Tell, and the Oasis Ballroom.

Local newspapers--Suttertown News, the Aardvark, Alive & Kicking (publication arm of the Cattle Club) Alphabet Threat and plenty of others--I remember chuckling the first time I saw a copy of local gay paper "Mom, Guess What?"

Vintage clothing stores--Now & Again, the original Cheap Thrills, Crossroads, and a legion of others, matched by the equally huge number of eclectic junk shops and thrift stores.

The multitude of divey diners downtown, including the Camellia Cafe, Earl of Sandwich, and the multitude of little Mexican and Chinese restaurants along the sides of K Street.

Old-school coffee shops and dessert places that aren't there anymore: Gelato Robi, Pava's, No Jive Java, New Helvetia, Greta's Cafe, Terra Roxa, the aforementioned original Capitol Garage, Espresso Metro on 11th and K.

24 hour diners! While the ones I remember were all technically chain restaurants (Eppie's, Denny's, Lyons, Carrows) there were lots of places where you could drink coffee and eat french fries all night if you really wanted to. The last Lyons closed its doors just a few weeks ago, although apparently the Denny's on 3rd Street has gone back to 24 hour operation after closing 2-5 AM during the years when Old Sacramento was overrun with Oakland gangs escaping Mayor Brown's gang crackdown every weekend.
Hell, I'm from the same era and probably bumped into you at one time...

Here's a few more spots I remember- Post 51, making the trek out to El Dorado Saloon or Shire Road Pub.
Going to Joe Marty's El Chico and ordering their huge calzones.
Going to Melarkey's across from El Chico to see live music (FMK and Phallucy come to mind)
The K Street mall when it still had the large cement sculptures with water features- long before light rail was there.
The J Street Cruise.

Going to the Graduate ( it was on the other side of the Guy West bridge on University Ave.) for a huge plate of fries and soda after a long bike ride on the American river- the BMX days...

Getting chased by Rangers along the horse trails(Goethe park comes to mind) for making and maintaining dirt jumps and hidden race tracks.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,084 times
WOW! thanks for these trips down memory lane! brought tears to my eyes remembering the good single life of being 20 yrs old. I now have a daughter that just turned 18, & can't wait for her to experience life in Sac as an adult! I am originally from an extremely small town in Georgia, but here in Sac since 1979. I wouldnt change any of my life experiences in Cali! What a great place to grow up...so diverse!
Memories of my high school best friends at McClatchy....Courtney Robin & Melissa!!!!!! Miss you all much, & think of you often! The Graduate, 2nd Level, Popeyes, Yucatan Liquor Stand, etc.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:43 PM

12 posts, read 16,971 times
I saw nirvana at the cattle club. There was also a place down the street from CSUS that I could have sworn I saw them before they became popular but it has changed names over the years. At the time I was not yet at CSUS.

McKinley park was the most romantic place to take a walk with a boyfriend.

Taking the HPV for test runs over at the nice newly paved roads near the arena in north natomas because the roads were new, safe, and relatively isolated.

Friday Night Live down on K street and the Thursday night concerts at Caesar Chavez Park (do they still have those?)

Security guards on the bike trails so a student was safe to cycle over, kick back by the river and study for finals.

Sacramento drivers are still quite courteous - I hope that doesn't change like it has like the melting pot in the bay area where people seem so angry on the roads.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:43 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,846,454 times
The 80s in Sac. I was in 3rd grade when my family moved here to Sacramento. Went to school at Elder Creek Elementary School. Was dirt poor but we lived life to the fullest. In my hood when we were kids, marbles were our currency. You can win marbles by playing marble games or play card games for it. You can sell one marble for a penny. We used to play cards for marbles or money. Took forever to earn a buck. Always got conned by the Adults because they could read us kids like a cheap book when we play cards against them.

We used to bike often and go places in a pack. We would travel for miles. Always fighting about the dumbest things too. I guess it's kind of like animals in the wild. You have to find your spot within your own pack. Friends fighting friends. We fought others from other clicks. Fight, fight, fight. There wasn't a month that went by without us kids fighting. But a day or too, it's all forgiven and you move on. There was no guns or knife. It was just your fists and legs. No grudges.

I remember always getting in trouble for the dumbest things. My group of friends one way or another, we always found ourselves in the back of a police cars....LOL....those were the days! Honestly, how many times does a 3rd/4th grader needs to get a ride home for cops? We were rowdy back then and hell, we took lickings for it too!

Those were the days. Doing the dumbest things. Going everywhere without care. We were young and stupid. I still wonder to this day how many of us survive! Now, looking back, it was a jungle out there. We just didn't know any better. I know I would never let my kids do the things my friends and I did when we were kids.

Three years later, my parents moved because they thought raising kids in Sacramento wasn't a good thing. Probably saved my life by moving to a small town.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:15 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,455,139 times
Where did you move to when you left Sacramento and how long were you gone?

Old 11-19-2014, 11:17 AM

23,601 posts, read 32,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
Where did you move to when you left Sacramento and how long were you gone?
Lived in Sacramento from mid-1990 to late 2009. Retired from the state then and moved to our present location. Don't contemplate ever returning but for visits to children and grandchildren.

My wife spent most of her life in Sacramento (it's where we met) and I enjoyed most of my years there. It has its problems - what city doesn't - but also has a lot to offer. You could certainly do worse.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:17 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,455,139 times
Do you have family in the Ozarks? Maybe grandchildren? Or was it lower cost of living I am sort of curious why you choose to leave and move so far away?

Second, if you collect a Pension from the State of California, are you still on the hook for California income taxes or is that not treated as California sourced income for tax purposes?

Old 11-20-2014, 12:15 PM

23,601 posts, read 32,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
Do you have family in the Ozarks? Maybe grandchildren? Or was it lower cost of living I am sort of curious why you choose to leave and move so far away?

Second, if you collect a Pension from the State of California, are you still on the hook for California income taxes or is that not treated as California sourced income for tax purposes?
Nope! Have no one here but the friends we've made. My wife had an organic farm here in the 70s but also left her, then, husband here and returned to Sacramento where we eventually met many years later. She always missed the Ozarks. I'd been driven through them on the original Route 66 as a child and young teen back in the 50s and early 60s thanks to my father's military career and drove myself in the late 60s and 70s during my own. Loved the landscape. Put them together and here we are. No regrets!

California's "source tax" for pensions was declared null and void by the US Supreme Court in the 90s - taxation without representation - so while the state owes us, we owe the state nothing. Also, our current state doesn't tax us either.

Between us we have five daughters, eight grandchildren and a great grand in the Sacramento area, a granddaughter in Colorado and another in North Carolina and two sons and four grandchildren in Ohio. We're kinda-sorta centrally located.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 11-20-2014 at 12:23 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 05:47 PM

12 posts, read 18,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post

KZAP morning DJ Kevin "Boom-Boom" Anderson getting fired for the "Jimi Hendrix Choke-Off" contest, where he encouraged callers to impersonate Jimi Hendrix choking to death on his own vomit.
Lol what the hell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento