U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 02:17 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,455,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Nope! Have no one here but the friends we've made. My wife had an organic farm here in the 70s but also left her, then, husband here and returned to Sacramento where we eventually met many years later. She always missed the Ozarks. I'd been driven through them on the original Route 66 as a child and young teen back in the 50s and early 60s thanks to my father's military career and drove myself in the late 60s and 70s during my own. Loved the landscape. Put them together and here we are. No regrets!

California's "source tax" for pensions was declared null and void by the US Supreme Court in the 90s - taxation without representation - so while the state owes us, we owe the state nothing. Also, our current state doesn't tax us either.

Between us we have five daughters, eight grandchildren and a great grand in the Sacramento area, a granddaughter in Colorado and another in North Carolina and two sons and four grandchildren in Ohio. We're kinda-sorta centrally located.
I am glad you found someplace both you and your wife love. Thats great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 738 times
I lived in Citrus Heights, Sacramento, Rancho Cordova and on Mather AFB from 1981 to 1988 and I have some great memories from my years there. Who else remembers the following places:

1. Confetti Night Club
2. El Dorado Saloon
3. Paradise Beach on the American River
4. The Bicycle Club or the Bombay Bicycle Club?? I can't remember exactly where it was located but I'm thinking it was in
Rancho Cordova just of Highway 50 near Sunrise or Zinfandel???
5. La Comida mexican restaurant near Arden and Howe

Old 07-17-2019, 05:52 PM

70 posts, read 345,125 times
Paradise Beach, cruising J st on Friday & Saturday nights, the Oasis Ballroom,
Happy Steak on Arden way, Roseville auction, Skating the K street mall when it was all concrete, Stoned out of my mind at the State Fair. Cal Expo amphitheater and countless concerts.
Hanging out at the mall, thinking that ot would last forever, falling for the girl that you were certain was the one. The Sac 6 Drive in, Skiing at Tahoe, Day on the Green concerts in Oakland.
Sitting at Mercy Hospital as your daughter has her first child and makes you a grandpa, saying goodbye to people who were taken too soon. Living life and making great memories.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:09 PM

2,083 posts, read 3,328,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Lived in Sacramento from mid-1990 to late 2009. Retired from the state then and moved to our present location. Don't contemplate ever returning but for visits to children and grandchildren.

My wife spent most of her life in Sacramento (it's where we met) and I enjoyed most of my years there. It has its problems - what city doesn't - but also has a lot to offer. You could certainly do worse.
I had a friend that used to come to the knitting group in Rocklin every Wednesday. Her husband worked for the State, at the Capitol I think, then I heard they'd moved to Missouri.

That wasn't you by any chance was it?

Old 12-16-2019, 03:01 PM

76 posts, read 24,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The Sunrise Mall cruise, primarily annoying to me because it meant it took 45 minutes to get into:

The midnight movies, at Sunrise, Birdcage, Arden Fair, Tower Theater, the Crest--endless viewings of Wizards, The Song Remains The Same, Maximum Overdrive, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Blue Velvet, etcetera.

KZAP morning DJ Kevin "Boom-Boom" Anderson getting fired for the "Jimi Hendrix Choke-Off" contest, where he encouraged callers to impersonate Jimi Hendrix choking to death on his own vomit.

You could hear the Clash, Talking Heads and Devo on KZAP, and if you stayed up late, occasionally a snippet of Frank Zappa, the Damned or Metallica, but Tower Records was where one found the Butthole Surfers, Killdozer or Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel.

Although there were also some fine independent record stores too: the Beat (when it was in East Sacramento), Esoteric Records, Records on K Street (now on Broadway), Makoto Records, and so on--although a lot of their stock had old Tower stickers on it, generally purchased at Tower during good times and sold at the used-record stores for rent money during bad times.

Purple-haired hipsters next to business suits at the original Java City in the 1980s, and the original Capitol Garage in the 1990s. I don't remember if I ever saw anyone in business suits at Weatherstone, it was too far from office buildings.

The Cattle Club on Folsom Boulevard, alternating between gay dance club nights and hosting little-known bands like Nirvana and Soundgarden. Other music venues like One Edge Up/Galactica 2000, Club Can't Tell, and the Oasis Ballroom.

Local newspapers--Suttertown News, the Aardvark, Alive & Kicking (publication arm of the Cattle Club) Alphabet Threat and plenty of others--I remember chuckling the first time I saw a copy of local gay paper "Mom, Guess What?"

Vintage clothing stores--Now & Again, the original Cheap Thrills, Crossroads, and a legion of others, matched by the equally huge number of eclectic junk shops and thrift stores.

The multitude of divey diners downtown, including the Camellia Cafe, Earl of Sandwich, and the multitude of little Mexican and Chinese restaurants along the sides of K Street.

Old-school coffee shops and dessert places that aren't there anymore: Gelato Robi, Pava's, No Jive Java, New Helvetia, Greta's Cafe, Terra Roxa, the aforementioned original Capitol Garage, Espresso Metro on 11th and K.

24 hour diners! While the ones I remember were all technically chain restaurants (Eppie's, Denny's, Lyons, Carrows) there were lots of places where you could drink coffee and eat french fries all night if you really wanted to. The last Lyons closed its doors just a few weeks ago, although apparently the Denny's on 3rd Street has gone back to 24 hour operation after closing 2-5 AM during the years when Old Sacramento was overrun with Oakland gangs escaping Mayor Brown's gang crackdown every weekend.

Omg .. yes! Your list is bringing back do many memories!

The cruise around a Sunrise Mall! I’d forgotten about that! lol! How many Friday or Saturday nights did I do that with friends and our newly earned drivers license! It was actually really fun!

Cruising sunrise mall “shopping” was a a fun way to spot cute guys from other high schools.

Denny’s or Carrows were packed after high school football games.

My memories are geared more toward Placer County ..
Granite Bay used to be horse ranches and cool 60’s 70’s lake houses, and then gated communities started popping up in the late 80s.

Going to the lake, waterskiing at the lake or river.

The lines of cars and boats heading up The two lane Douglas Blvd was insane.

There was only one Folsom dam road.

Getting ice cream at Thrifty’s by the lake after school.

Jumbo supermarket.,

Lincoln was considered waasayyyy out in the sticks.

Granite Bay was considered out in the sticks too!

El Dorado Hills didn’t hit my radar as being a place where people lived until early 90’s

The Purple Place was some eerie glowy bar out in the middle of nowhere and reminded me of something out of Twin Peaks. I was scared to drive by it at night!

All the cute guys went to Rio americano or Jesuit!

Tower cafe, tower records

It was really a fun place to grow up.

Old 12-16-2019, 08:01 PM

921 posts, read 917,321 times
I miss the days of when New Helvetia was a popular coffee house and City Suds across the street was great place to do laundry on a lazy Sunday. So many good dance clubs are now gone. I remember Bobby McGee's and El Dorado Saloon years ago. Good times.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:27 AM

5,239 posts, read 5,556,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
I miss the days of when New Helvetia was a popular coffee house and City Suds across the street was great place to do laundry on a lazy Sunday. So many good dance clubs are now gone. I remember Bobby McGee's and El Dorado Saloon years ago. Good times.
Well, now you have 20 "New Helvetia's" in the grid. A beer garden sits where the City Suds is now and next to that an old multi-story 1920's era house still stands that will likely be remodeled/restored or replaced with a modern 3 story residential building.

Next to the old house there is a very attractive 8 story glass condo building with a locally owned restaurant, and dentist on the ground floor. I can't remember what stood in it's place? Do you know?

Kitty Korner to the "New Helvetia" was a block long hole in the ground containing the remnants of a school building which is now a 4 story apartment building with a very popular wine and cheese place, restaurant, yogurt shop, dessert place, asian eatery, tattoo shop, and a locally owned fancy chocolatier who has expanded with a second shop in SF.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:34 AM

5,239 posts, read 5,556,589 times
Who remembers what stood where there are now several modern glass state office buildings between L street and N Street between 15th street and 17 street? a popular bar and music club....?

Also, some older folk (older than me, at least) talk of the Raleys that stood where Sutter General Hospital stands on K Street (not the newer Women and Children's taller Sutter on L Street). Who remembers that store? and who remembers the Alhambra Theatre on Alhambra?

Old 12-18-2019, 08:08 AM

921 posts, read 917,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Well, now you have 20 "New Helvetia's" in the grid. A beer garden sits where the City Suds is now and next to that an old multi-story 1920's era house still stands that will likely be remodeled/restored or replaced with a modern 3 story residential building.

Next to the old house there is a very attractive 8 story glass condo building with a locally owned restaurant, and dentist on the ground floor. I can't remember what stood in it's place? Do you know?

Kitty Korner to the "New Helvetia" was a block long hole in the ground containing the remnants of a school building which is now a 4 story apartment building with a very popular wine and cheese place, restaurant, yogurt shop, dessert place, asian eatery, tattoo shop, and a locally owned fancy chocolatier who has expanded with a second shop in SF.
They are not as good as the original however. I miss those great old days of living in midtown when it was actually affordable! I had a 2 bedroom for $650 with a pool. Heck working on less money was easier back then.

Old 12-18-2019, 05:29 PM

576 posts, read 465,659 times
Sac State still primarily shorthanding to "CSUS" (there is another "CSUS" in the same TV market, in Turlock. Apparently they are "Stan State" these days).

Sac State didn't seem to have so dang many flags on campus (between the Hornet's Nest and the main bus stand, and maybe other places).

ARCO arena looking like an island off of the 99(?) freeway.

2am runs to Denny's on the other side of campus, near a Motel 6, IIRC.

I miss Sacramento. Hot as hell sometimes, but really pretty nonetheless.

#StingersUp

ETA: Oh, and UCD being the "cool" school even though they were still D II and we were already D I (late '90).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento