Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 11:03 AM

27 posts, read 52,180 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised here in Sac. I've since lived in L.A, Denver, Springfield MO, San Luis Obispo, Eureka, and Crescent City. I'm back in Sac now and would like to move to somewhere smaller and less hectic. I liked the size of Eureka and Crescent City.

I'm 45, female, single, no children, and work from home. I just want to live somewhere I can ride my bike places. I work from home, go to the library, bicycle, shop at the coop, and socialize through Meetups or other groups.

I'm not a big nature buff so I'm not limited to great scenery. In fact, too many trees make me feel closed in So not Lake Tahoe or the redwoods.

A few places that were suggested to me were:

Moab, UT
Provo, UT
Littleton, CO
Colorado Springs, CO
Eugene, OR
Portland, OR

I will probably rent a room or look for roommates when I get there. Maybe check into low-income housing.

Do any towns or cities pop into your mind as to where I should move?

Feel free to post or email me privately on this site or @ 22newemails@gmail.com. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 01:54 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,527 times
Sounds like Chico would fit the bill. I would also suggest Davis but that might be a little too pricey.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:07 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Salem, Oregon might be a decent fit for you too.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:10 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
I love Carmel, CA

Old 04-14-2012, 07:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Springfield, MO is still a small city. So is Columbia. Chico has the advantage of being quite flat so bicycling would be easy, Just like Sacramento. Then there's always Davis. Of course, if you like riding in the rain then Eureka, north would suit you just fine.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:17 AM

A lot to consider so far. thank you.

I keep leaning toward Colorado Springs or a small town in Utah. But I might have to revisit Chico.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:06 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tialia View Post
A lot to consider so far. thank you.

I keep leaning toward Colorado Springs or a small town in Utah. But I might have to revisit Chico.
a suburb of Sacramento is best, if you want to live in a town like Sacramento

Chico doesnt have the character or the diversity of Sacramento, too boring and remote

Old 04-15-2012, 10:14 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,808 times
What kind of weather do you like? It's rather different in, for example, Portland vs. Colorado Springs vs. Moab. Moab and CS and Portland seem pretty oriented to those who like nature. Would the Midwest suit you? Do you have lots of friends in the Sac area you'd like to be able to easily visit?

Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 AM

I live in Sacramento now. As for the weather - it's way too hot here. A place where they don't have too many days over 80 and in the winter, some snow is ok but I don't want to drive in it for more that a couple of weeks. When I said 'like Sacramento' I may have mis-spoke. I want more to offer than Eureka and Crescent city. A health food store is good. When I lived in Springfield, I got a blank stare when I asked about organic produce and the checker had to ask me what "it" (the cauliflower) was called so she could look it up. So maybe not that limited.

I live a very simple life. Practical beats fancy. In Sacramento I use a tank of gas each week (a whopping $240.00) and that has got to stop. So a place that's not sprawled out and/or bike friendly will be great. I'm not a cyclist, just a person that rides a bike

Old 04-15-2012, 10:57 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Rule out Chico then--it gets hotter there than Sacramento does.

It sounds like you're looking at Oregon, although there are plenty of trees up that way, Portland is slightly larger and busier than Sacramento--maybe one of the smaller Oregon cities like Medford or Eugene? Hope you like rain, though. Lots of it--enough to make Eureka look sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento