Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:42 AM

11 posts, read 13,911 times

Advertisements

Hi,
thanks in advance for your help..I see you guys answer these types of questions alot . We have an unusual situation. We are relocating to the bay area for my job, but I don't have an office I visit daily. I work from home some days then I'll travel throughout the bay area (n san Fran, south San Fran, San Jose and Sacrament, I will visit these areas about once a quarter. I will also fly out of either San Fran, Oakland, San Jose or Sacramento airport on at least a weekly basis depending on where we live.

We have 2 kids in elementary school, and Pets. So we are looking for good schools and safety. The burbs are fine.
Our budget is at or under $2000
We have lived in the DFW area, Albuquerque and are in Utah right now.

About us
Two adults late 30's our night out on the town alone consists of a good local restaurant preferably with locally sourced ingrediants with a bottle of good wine or a brewery with good simple food. If we are out late it's probably at a piano bar or something similar.
As a family we visit national parks, sporting events, museums ect..we also go to the occasional movie. We believe that experiences are the true educator.
2 boys who are very active in sports: baseball, basketball and football.
The whole family skis, hikes, boats, rock climbs and bikes.
We usually take 6 camping trips a year and travel quite a bit beyond that, everything from 5 star to budget hotels. Our oldest has been to 18 states at age 10.
We don't care who or what you are or what you do for a living. We just want our kids to be able to play outside and go to good schools.
Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 12:10 PM

113 posts, read 216,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiousgames View Post
Hi,
thanks in advance for your help..I see you guys answer these types of questions alot . We have an unusual situation. We are relocating to the bay area for my job, but I don't have an office I visit daily. I work from home some days then I'll travel throughout the bay area (n san Fran, south San Fran, San Jose and Sacrament, I will visit these areas about once a quarter. I will also fly out of either San Fran, Oakland, San Jose or Sacramento airport on at least a weekly basis depending on where we live.

We have 2 kids in elementary school, and Pets. So we are looking for good schools and safety. The burbs are fine.
Our budget is at or under $2000
We have lived in the DFW area, Albuquerque and are in Utah right now.

About us
Two adults late 30's our night out on the town alone consists of a good local restaurant preferably with locally sourced ingrediants with a bottle of good wine or a brewery with good simple food. If we are out late it's probably at a piano bar or something similar.
As a family we visit national parks, sporting events, museums ect..we also go to the occasional movie. We believe that experiences are the true educator.
2 boys who are very active in sports: baseball, basketball and football.
The whole family skis, hikes, boats, rock climbs and bikes.
We usually take 6 camping trips a year and travel quite a bit beyond that, everything from 5 star to budget hotels. Our oldest has been to 18 states at age 10.
We don't care who or what you are or what you do for a living. We just want our kids to be able to play outside and go to good schools.
Thanks again!
Your lovely and refreshing attitude says it all. You'd be able to be happy pretty much anywhere. But if you are seeking a progressive diverse and safe community, I'd have to say North Natomas. It's really nice. I enjoy the alternative lifestyles and the influx of the peaceful Indian culture here. I feel pretty safe and loving the quality I'm seeing.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:57 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
Depends on how much time you spend in the bay? How many days a week? 2000 Dollars will go a lot further here than it will in the bay area, that much is for sure.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:36 PM

Thank you both, I'd be in the bay area about 3 to 6 times every 3 months..sometimes staying up to 2 nights. Northcal that is why we are considering Sacramento.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:59 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
I'd say Roseville or Rocklin over Folsom...due to their excellent schools (I believe Folsom is higher rated), however, Rocklin/Roseville would be closer access to the airport, travel to the bay area & closer to midtown.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiousgames View Post
Thank you both, I'd be in the bay area about 3 to 6 times every 3 months..sometimes staying up to 2 nights. Northcal that is why we are considering Sacramento.
Oh so on average like once maybe twice a month. Well thats nothing and very doable then. Hell on a budget of 1500-2000 a month you could afford a house in a great family neighborhood. I'd be looking for a realator rather than to rent in that case. But given your price range you afford a solid 4 bedroom in a very safe suburb with good schools (relative to the rest of the state) to rent.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:51 PM

Thank you caligirl, I spent some time today checking out schools in the area and I think your right about the area we want to be in based on the schools. North cal thanks! That it makes me feel better to hear that. we plan on buying once the year is up but want some time to be sure where in the area to buy. We own a house in NM and do prefer to own our own home. Does anyone know of a site for rentals besides craigslist? Thanks!!

Old 04-16-2012, 12:22 AM

I'd go with a property management company. I'm not big on craigslist and one on one land lord deals. A lot of those guys have questionable leases and sometimes they will try to rent out homes that are delinquint and or going into forclosure. Best bet is go with a legit property management company if looking to rent a house.

Prices are good to buy in sac area. It is a down market and a buyers market. But price wise it is like when I first moved to the region in the 90's. Very affordable.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:02 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Just found another site with a large number of listings. I'm a little suprised by how many new property management companies there now are here.
RNB Property Management
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento