Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 02:58 PM

24 posts, read 204,105 times

Advertisements

Are there any "hip"/"artsy" areas aside from Midtown? Maybe some neighborhoods that are up and coming where housing is affordable? Mom & Pop and local businesses moving into the neighborhood even? Thanks for any and all info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 04:07 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Take a look at Southside, the southwestern corner of the central city "grid." Rents are comparatively cheap and there are a lot of old mom & pop businesses dating back generations, with a very strong Asian influence (it was the Chinese and Japanese neighborhood of choice after Japantown was demolished and Chinatown redeveloped), the weekly Farmer's Market on Sundays, and some newer hip spots like Doughbot, Insight Coffee and Verge Gallery, and the R Street corridor brightening up on its northern end. Oak Park is on its way upward, the destination of choice for college kids and artists priced out of Midtown, but still facing a lot of issues like street drug dealing that you might not be comfortable with. Curtis Park is another possibility--a bit quieter than Midtown and a bit safer than Oak Park, but with some neat amenities like Pangaea Two Brews, Track 7, The Hideaway and close access to Broadway's restaurants and the Tower Theater, and Sacramento City College.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:38 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times
I question the premises of your question. You are talking about Sacramento not Manhattan. First I am not sure that any part of Sacramento is particularly hip. Sacramento is mostly just a bigger version of Fresno and I say that with no disrespect to Fresno. Its flat and hot during the summer time with tule fog in the winter time. I like living here because its affordable and I have family here. But hip just isn't something that I associate with the region. In fact I consider its a lack of hipness a feature not a defect. But if you were really obsessed with being hip and arty, then I really think you aren't going to care for the area and generally be seen mostly as an ass.

But one of the many redeeming features of not being hip, is that it remains incredibly affordable. You won't need to spend an arm and a leg to move into just about any neighborhood you are interested in. Rents and housing prices are really cheap. The limiting factor is making sure that you can find work. But if you have a job in the area, you will have plenty of excellent housing choices.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:52 PM

943 posts, read 1,844,835 times
I have to agree ONE BILLION PERCENT with Shelato.. I'm from NYC orig. and a Uber Hipster and there is NOOOOOOOOOO Hipster community what so ever in SAC. Midtown is far from HIP to a REAL Hipster... LA and San Fran is where the hipsters are. New up andcoming hipster area in LA is N. Hollywood if that is of any interest to you. low rents and low home prices are still accessable and the area has a awesome artist vibe and community.

NOTICE ... you're asking this quesiton in several cities and states....from your posts it appears that your moving to several cities across the united states in the next few months....... thats a lot of homes to buy in a short period of time........... umm hummmm

....maybe this link will help America's Best Cities for Hipsters - Articles | Travel + Leisure

one city they forgotto mention is Pittsburgh, Shadyside and Southside maybe you can afford to add that to the list of cities your buying into.

Last edited by =Lavender=; 05-15-2012 at 05:27 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 05:19 PM

248 posts, read 803,479 times
Ugh...thank god this bigger version of Fresno does not have a Hipster infestation- that whole Hipster clique is way overated. The only time you seem them in mass quantities is when there's an "Occupy" demonstration.
Flame ON!

Old 05-15-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactoslacker View Post
Ugh...thank god this bigger version of Fresno does not have a Hipster infestation- that whole Hipster clique is way overated. The only time you seem them in mass quantities is when there's an "Occupy" demonstration.
Flame ON!

real hipsters are not into demonstrations they are into fashion, music, art and the luxury lifestyle.....

Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 PM

Pfeh. There have been hipsters in Sacramento's central city since the 1920s.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Pfeh. There have been hipsters in Sacramento's central city since the 1920s.
yes but its not a REAL hipster area...... also what was in 1920 has changed a lot now in 2012........ as a hipster myself I can't say this area can be considered hipster.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:32 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,849 times
Depends on what you define as hipster. If you are talking about yuppies earning six figure incomes and trying their best to act "cool" ala the Sex In the City lifestyle, then Sac probably does not have too much of those.

But if you're talking about creative, artsy bohemians, then yes, Sacramento has a good population of those.

And No, Sacramento is not Fresno. Sacramentos got way more going on.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:15 PM

I thought one of the defining things about hipsters is that they deny being hipsters?

Seriously, though, you can't swing a keffiya in Midtown without knocking over someone's fair-trade double latte and someone else's artisinal brewpub IPA, and catching it on a fixed-gear cruiser bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento