Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 09:22 AM

501 posts, read 1,185,914 times

Advertisements

We have the opportunity to relocate to Sacramento, or nearby areas, from Northern Virginia (job related). I'm not sure about the availability of coming to the area to look around prior to our relocation.

Is it possible to find a NON apartment rental (single family home, townhome, etc. with 2-3 bedrooms) for around $800-$1000/month? Definitely looking at a rental. Not interested in buying a home. Hubby is a flight attendant, I am a full time homemaker. He would be commuting to/from SMF to SFO on a weekly basis, so the commute to the airport wouldn't be an issue. His current commute to get to Dulles Airport is about an hour.

How affordable are utilities such as electric, water, gas?

What areas are safe to reside in? Should one area be considered over another?

How affordable is car insurance? We are in our late 40's, early 50's, and both have clean driving records, and own a 2003 Dodge, currently with full coverage.

Kids are grown...no concerns about schools. We also do not have any pets.

Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,892 times
Neighborhoods I will mention are very safe and beautiful. Though the housing is closer to 1200+ for 3 bedroom, but you can make up for much of it being in a SMUD utility district as it's cheaper then PG&E districts. You can find some deals in these neighborhoods!

East Sac - Elmhurst - Newton Booth - River Park - Mckinley park - Boulevard Park - Marshall School New Era Park Neighborhood - Midtown

Here is a great resource website for these neighborhoods: [url]http://www.cityofsacramento.org/ns/nadb/alpha.cfm[/url]

Old 05-04-2012, 02:43 PM

501 posts, read 1,185,914 times
Thanks so much for the info...
Can you or anyone else shed some light on utility costs, car insurance, etc.?

Old 05-04-2012, 03:06 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,638,713 times
Our water/trash/sewer bill comes to $112/mo in the city. Our gas and electricity bills are very low because we have a small house and keep it pretty cold in winter/warm in summer. Some people do manage to run up multi hundred dollar electricity bills in the summer, but this largely depends on your comfort level and efficiency of your home. I'd budget at least $100/mo average over the whole year for gas/electric (our two person household probably averages half that), but $150 might be safer.

I'm not sure about VA, but my move from Santa Barbara, CA to Davis to Sacramento, didn't change my car insurance rates at all. I have USAA and pay a pittance overall.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:26 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,317,548 times
Go to craigslist in Sacramento and do a quick search on some of the property rental and it will give you an idea of what the rent costs in Sacramento. Places that I've lived in Sacramento: Southside, Arden, Rancho Cordova, and Greenhaven/Pocket area.

Greenhaven/Pocket area is by far the best place I lived in Sacramento. They have a good selection of Duplex that rents out from $1000 or more a month. Before I bought my house in Elk Grove two years ago, I was renting a 2 BR 2 BA 1100 sq ft. duplex for $975 (gone up since then). My sister still lives in Greenhaven and pays $1070 for 2 BR, 1 BA 1,000 sq ft. Water and Garbage paid by owner. If you are renting a house, most will require you to pay your own water and garbage bill. Most good area, you are looking at more than $1,000 a month rent.

My electricity bill was any where from $65-250 a month, depending on the weather but I think I average mostly in the $120 range. Car insurance is affordable depending on who you are insured with and what type of car you drive. I have been using an online website for many years now to compare insurance rates for my auto, rental/homeowners insurance called netquote.com on a yearly basis. They would price shop for me and I pick the one I want to go with. I'm paying $70 a month for coverage for a 1998 Camry with 100/300K liability, 100K prop, with a 500 ded for collision.

Places I don't mind living: Greenhaven/Pocket, Fair Oaks. Surrounding Sacramento: Elk Grove, Folsom, Roseville.

I live in Elk Grove, CA. Last months electricity/gas bill was $120. $58 garabage. $80 water bill.

Last edited by calnbs; 05-09-2012 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento