Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 02:56 PM

70 posts, read 233,900 times

Advertisements

We are getting closer to our move to El Dorado Hills (the end of June) and I've been looking for a house to rent. One thing that I've noticed is that most of the neighborhoods I have looked at have no sidewalks (I always pull the address up on Google maps to take a look at the surrounding area.) Does anyone know why there is a lack of sidewalks? It's been bugging me for a while now (not enough to not move there, I just find it curious.) Do kids just ride their bikes and walk in the streets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 03:47 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDbeachbum View Post
We are getting closer to our move to El Dorado Hills (the end of June) and I've been looking for a house to rent. One thing that I've noticed is that most of the neighborhoods I have looked at have no sidewalks (I always pull the address up on Google maps to take a look at the surrounding area.) Does anyone know why there is a lack of sidewalks? It's been bugging me for a while now (not enough to not move there, I just find it curious.) Do kids just ride their bikes and walk in the streets?
Sidewalks is most definitely a city amenity... although not exclusively.

Many that live in the area like the not so city feel... definitely more of a rural feel without sidewalks.

A few years ago my brother was house shopping I sent him a couple of leads that he dismissed immediately... he said he would never live in an area with sidewalks... called them cookie cutter developments.

To each his own...

As to kids riding on the sidewalks... they can actually get a ticket for that in my city...

Old 05-07-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Sidewalks is most definitely a city amenity... although not exclusively.

Many that live in the area like the not so city feel... definitely more of a rural feel without sidewalks.

A few years ago my brother was house shopping I sent him a couple of leads that he dismissed immediately... he said he would never live in an area with sidewalks... called them cookie cutter developments.

To each his own...

As to kids riding on the sidewalks... they can actually get a ticket for that in my city...

I guess I understand the not wanting a city feel, sort of. It just seems odd to me.

So, your city expects little kids to ride their bikes in the street? That is INSANE to me. Is there an age limit at least? I can understand older kids being expected to stay off of the sidewalks, but little ones (like 5-8 maybe) and the street just doesn't seem wise.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:26 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,150 times
What an odd remark from your brother. No sidewalks is really only a possibility in the car-bound suburbs, which are generally pretty planned and cookie cutter. All the oldest neighborhoods in Sac have sidewalks and slowly gaining bike lanes too.

To the OP, I think it's just a semi-rural/exurban thing. I also think it's poor city planning for the most part. But if it's a suburban development and you're on a street with exclusively very local traffic (not an arterial), it might not matter to you as long as you're okay walking in the street.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:36 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,150 times
To my knowledge, it's not illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk unless banned locally (such as in downtowns, etc). Bicycle law in California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That includes San Diego: "§84.09 Bicycle Riding Restricted
(a) No person shall operate a bicycle upon any sidewalk fronting any commercial
business establishment unless official signs are posted authorizing such use.
(b) Any person riding or operating a bicycle on any sidewalk or right of way not
open to public vehicular traffic shall exercise due care and shall yield the right
of way to pedestrians.
(c) No person shall operate a bicycle on any sidewalk or right of way not open to
public vehicular traffic at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent
having due regard for pedestrian traffic and in no event at a speed which
endangers the safety of persons or property."

It's generally an unwise practice to ride on the sidewalk for a lot of reasons, but for kids in a residential area, it's usually fine.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
It's generally an unwise practice to ride on the sidewalk for a lot of reasons, but for kids in a residential area, it's usually fine.
This is my thought too.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
To the OP, I think it's just a semi-rural/exurban thing. I also think it's poor city planning for the most part. But if it's a suburban development and you're on a street with exclusively very local traffic (not an arterial), it might not matter to you as long as you're okay walking in the street.
The houses I have looked at are all in developments, but I'm guessing the local traffic is pretty minimal. It will be an odd thing to get accustomed too. We currently live in the 'burbs, and have sidewalks. I walk my kids to and from school everyday. With no sidewalks that may change though. I guess time will tell!

Old 05-07-2012, 06:02 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
It's hard to imagine a fully-developed suburb in El Dorado Hills thinking that not having sidewalks gives them a "rural feel." It is sometimes used as a method to actively discourage pedestrian activity--the "helicopter mom" transports the kids to and from every activity, and it is assumed that any pedestrian on the street is someone who doesn't belong there.

As to city planning, there isn't a "city" of El Dorado Hills, so very little planning was involved.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDbeachbum View Post
I guess I understand the not wanting a city feel, sort of. It just seems odd to me.

So, your city expects little kids to ride their bikes in the street? That is INSANE to me. Is there an age limit at least? I can understand older kids being expected to stay off of the sidewalks, but little ones (like 5-8 maybe) and the street just doesn't seem wise.
Here's a link:

California law leaves it to local municipalities to regulate bike riding on sidewalks, so you may find yourself somewhere else in the state where sidewalk riding is legally permitted, but in San Francisco it's against the law for anyone 13 years of age and older to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk. SF Transportation Code (SFTC) Sec. 7.2.12 forbids sidewalk bicycle riding, while Sec. 1007 states "children under the age of 13 may ride a bicycle on any sidewalk except as otherwise posted".

Sidewalks are for Peds

Old 05-07-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
What an odd remark from your brother. No sidewalks is really only a possibility in the car-bound suburbs, which are generally pretty planned and cookie cutter. All the oldest neighborhoods in Sac have sidewalks and slowly gaining bike lanes too.
Very desirable areas in the Bay Area have almost no sidewalks outside the business districts..

Orinda, Lafayette, Alamo come to mind and even much of Pleasant Hill has no sidewalks. The most expensive area of the Oakland Hills... Montclair also has zero sidewalks...

I see families with kids on bikes with training wheels, walking the dog or pushing jogging strollers all the time in these areas...

Here is the streetscape Master Plan PDF for Eldorado Hills...

http://www.edhcsd.org/park_planning/...er_plan_v1.pdf

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-07-2012 at 06:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento