Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 03:08 PM

65 posts, read 127,073 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, new to the forum here,
I'm thinking of accepting a job offer in Sac but I have lived in Socal for the past 15 yrs, i've accepted SoCal as 'home'.
Can any of you that have moved from SoCal to Sac share a little bit on how they feel or felt when they first moved to Sac? Was it a smooth transition? what was the bigges issue for you?

Thanks a lot !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 05:54 PM

43 posts, read 84,475 times
I went to college in LA.
- The weather is the same in Sac, or better due to less smog. There's no beaches but there's Folsom Lake and the River. Also Tahoe is close.
- The cost of living is affordable compared to Southern CA, but make sure you have a job.
- There's a lot of exploring to do around Greater Sac.
- The Bay Area is a 45 min drive

Old 05-09-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGlee View Post
I went to college in LA.
- The weather is the same in Sac, or better due to less smog. There's no beaches but there's Folsom Lake and the River. Also Tahoe is close.
- The cost of living is affordable compared to Southern CA, but make sure you have a job.
Thanks a lot for your reply, we r a young family in early 30s and kids, what do ppl do in Sac on wkend? do they go to bay area? what fun stuff are there to do ?

Old 05-10-2012, 08:41 AM

943 posts, read 1,843,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGlee View Post
I went to college in LA.
thanks for this info.. I always thought SoCal was wammer in the winter and less rain year round....... going to head here more often when we get storms instead of LA in the colder months xo THANKS xo

Old 05-10-2012, 10:43 AM

4,618 posts, read 4,885,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abercrombiedudelosangeles View Post
Thanks a lot for your reply, we r a young family in early 30s and kids, what do ppl do in Sac on wkend? do they go to bay area? what fun stuff are there to do ?
A lot of times, leave. SF is a 2 hour drive, Tahoe is a 2 hour drive, Yosemite is a 2 hour drive.

But there is also a large cycling and running community here. Some fairly decent hiking in Auburn (technically a suburb).

People don't seem to go there, but there are a lot of historic sites nearby too - gold rush towns, mines, Sutter's Mill in Coloma, etc.

You can also take advantage of midweek skiing too - from Roseville to Boreal is about 1:15, if it's not snowing.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:59 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,650,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
A lot of times, leave. SF is a 2 hour drive, Tahoe is a 2 hour drive, Yosemite is a 2 hour drive.
I agree, but people always take this like it's a terrible thing. It's a very easy and convenient place to get out of on the weekend with a lot of great places to go. But it doesn't mean no one wants to spend the weekends here--I mean, all the friends I have in the Bay Area tend to go somewhere else too.

To your list, I would add: WINE. If you like wine, I really don't think there's a better big city in the world (yes, that's what I said) to live, particularly if you're not able to drink $40 bottles every night. Napa and Sonoma are about 90 minutes, and you can take the "back way" to avoid traffic if you want. An hour or less to an amazing variety of wineries in the foothills, generally with pretty affordable bottles and free tastings. Under an hour to Lodi, 15 minutes to Clarksburg. Capay Valley has a few, which is an absolutely beautiful place.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 PM

Thanks for your replies guys! sounds like there are several good options. I appreciate the info.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:41 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,179,802 times
What do people do on weekends? Pretty much the same as in other places. It would help to know what you like to do. What do you do in SoCal? I moved from L.A. to Sac and lived there for 9 years. It's smaller and less spread-out than Southern California, but what place isn't? Some used to say the best thing about Sacramento is that it's close to places you'd rather be, but that is a bit unfair. Sac has parks, a zoo, a few museums, lots of community organiations, movies, events, and lots of parks (including the extensive American River Parkway). Summers are hot-- no getting around that. But you can easily get to cooller areas, such as the Bay Area, Sierra Nevada, etc. And depending where in So Cal you live, you may be used to it.

I'd buy a guide book and get to know more about the Sac area, and start planning some day and weekend trips.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:07 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,158,614 times
Sacramento has all the creature comforts of suburbia, but that is generally where it stops. The region is family friendly, enough.

As far as big city attractions, you wont find any of the sort in Sacramento. There are not really any unique exciting neighborhoods, there is no urban vibrancy, no upscale shopping, no world class entertainment.

So aquariums, MLB baseball games, taking your daughter to get a trendy dress(well you could probably do this in Roseville), seeing a big rock act at a world class arena... none of that will happen in Sacto. You'll have to go the bay area for pretty much anything world class.

Same goes for nature. Everything is in the foothills or mountains. Sacramento itself does not have much if anything inspiring as far as nature goes. There is the American river bike path but that is as far as it goes unitl you get to areas in the foothills/folsom lake..

Over all coming from LA you will be underwhelmed. Just how much so, depends on the person. Imagine Bakersfield or Fresno on steroids...albeit slightly less polluted and slightly more affluent and that is pretty much Sacramento. Not particularly meritorious and unable to stand out, Sac will strike you more as a Columbus, Ohio/ Indianapolis of the west coast. Yawn.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:28 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,273,146 times
Dang, who wizzed in your wheaties this morning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento