Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 03:41 PM

30 posts, read 75,890 times

Advertisements

Hi - My family and I are looking to buy a home this summer. We are looking in the 200-250k range - large house, 4 bdrms, etc. My husband and I are native to Sac but haven't lived in a lot of areas. We are trying to narrow it down to what areas are the safest and nicest for the family, but still have nicer homes that are bigger. We were thinking Antelope, Natomas, maybe, but we are just unsure about which neighborhoods will be best. I know I don't want to live in South Sac, Rancho, N Highlands - the obvious not great neighborhoods. So which areas do you think would work for us? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 04:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
I'd agree with Antelope and Natomas, but would also look in Elk Grove too.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:46 PM

43 posts, read 84,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I'd agree with Antelope and Natomas, but would also look in Elk Grove too.
These and also consider Roseville, Rocklin, Folsom, Carmichael and Lincoln.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGlee View Post
These and also consider Roseville, Rocklin, Folsom, Carmichael and Lincoln.
Though I can see benefits to each of those areas, I think that the $250K price limit with the requirement of a "nice and bigger" home might be a bit challenging in places such as Folsom and Rocklin.

But I'd agree that Lincoln would be another good option.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Though I can see benefits to each of those areas, I think that the $250K price limit with the requirement of a "nice and bigger" home might be a bit challenging in places such as Folsom and Rocklin.

But I'd agree that Lincoln would be another good option.
I agree Folsom is a bit of a stretch for price. Im not looking for something spectacular, but I do know we can get something pretty nice for the price still. I have looked in Rocklin and havent really seen anything in our price range either.

I know nothing about Elk Grove - never have really even been there, lol. So Natomas is still a pretty good neighborhood?

Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,775 times
My wife and I bought a house in Elk Grove in 2010. We did a lot of research and found that Elk Grove fits our needs when it comes to having good schools for kids, in our price range, and is overall a peaceful and quiet place to live.

Another huge factor for me was making sure that I bought a house that wasn't in a flood zone. Believe me, you don't want to add any more bills than you already going to have. Despite not being in a flood zone, I still bought flood insurance just in case but I paid A LOT less than someone in a flood zone.

With this economy, you don't want to overstretched your budget. My wife and I bought a house that even with one income, we can still afford it. We've seen many of our friends bought houses during the boom, spending all their money on their homes and nothing else.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:21 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faiths13 View Post
I agree Folsom is a bit of a stretch for price. Im not looking for something spectacular, but I do know we can get something pretty nice for the price still. I have looked in Rocklin and havent really seen anything in our price range either.
?
I live in Folsom, bought here last year (cost was >$250k for 1500 sqft). It's highly unlikely you will find a large home here for $200-250, unless it is a foreclosure or short sale & totally trashed....Inventory here is very low...but it wouldn't hurt to look. Folsom is a fantastic community with great schools.

Maybe you can tell us what you consider "large"?

Last edited by caligirlz; 05-09-2012 at 07:33 PM..

Old 05-09-2012, 07:29 PM

We need at least 1700 sq ft, but more would be better. I know we can get something that size in Antelope or Natomas, and probably Citrus Heights or Orangevale. Just dont know much about the neighborhoods.

And per my pp - Folsom is too expensive.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 PM

I'd probably look at Elk Grove and Lincoln first, then Natomas and Antelope.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:24 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
I agree with the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento