Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:17 AM

323 posts, read 1,004,407 times

Advertisements

Really, the weather is a bit of a personal preference thing. You'll hear people in San Francisco talk about about how great the weather is. But having grown up in the Sacramento area, when I moved to SF, the weather was one of the things I disliked the most. It just really sucked being freezing all summer long. Gale force winds all July and August was bit depressing when I knew my friends in Sac were out in shorts on the river and everyone in SF is walking around in peacoats. I mean, I like a bit of heat.

Now, September to February, SF beats Sacramento hands down. It is consistently warmer in SF during the winter months. While people from the East Coast laugh when we talk about how cold it is, Sac is in the 30's-40's for about 2-3 months a year which everyone seems to forget when talking about the summers.

To be honest in a pure weather contest it's hard to beat Berkeley/Oakland for ideal weather. You get warmer summer days and warmer winter conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 12:26 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,846,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ozo View Post
Really, the weather is a bit of a personal preference thing. You'll hear people in San Francisco talk about about how great the weather is. But having grown up in the Sacramento area, when I moved to SF, the weather was one of the things I disliked the most. It just really sucked being freezing all summer long. Gale force winds all July and August was bit depressing when I knew my friends in Sac were out in shorts on the river and everyone in SF is walking around in peacoats. I mean, I like a bit of heat.

Now, September to February, SF beats Sacramento hands down. It is consistently warmer in SF during the winter months. While people from the East Coast laugh when we talk about how cold it is, Sac is in the 30's-40's for about 2-3 months a year which everyone seems to forget when talking about the summers.

To be honest in a pure weather contest it's hard to beat Berkeley/Oakland for ideal weather. You get warmer summer days and warmer winter conditions.
I agree, the East Bay is probably the most ideal balance.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:04 PM

10 posts, read 22,631 times
Generally I think weather is overrated. I grew up in San Jose, another ideal climate, but spent some of the happiest years of my life in Iowa, where wind chill got to -50F. You adjust, and if you have other great things happening, crappy weather is no big deal.

That being said, weather becomes more of an issue for me (along with all kinds of other factors) when the cost of living becomes so high. When paying double the rent of other cities with better, equal, or slightly worse weather, the summer fog and wind start becoming a bit more of an irritant, especially when some of those other cities are just down the road. I'm taking the view that the SF vs Sac weather question is a wash: if one has the edge over the other, it's minor. And so the question for me becomes: are the other benefits of living in SF so incredible that they cancel out that significant cost of living issue.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:34 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,259,002 times
I think it kind of depends on what your type of job prospects you have in both areas. The bay area has a huge concentration of jobs paying $100K+ a year or more and if you can land one its probably worth staying there. There are a lot of professions that just pay more if they are done in the bay area. While you have people doing computer programming in both Sacramento and the bay area, the guys at Google are being paid substantially much more than the guys working at the IT department for the State of California. If you are in one of the professions that pay more to work in the bay area its worth it to stay in the bay area. But there are professions where you probably get paid the same whether you practice it in Sacramento or the bay area. If you are a public school teacher, in Sac or the bay area, your wage probably doesn't vary as much as the underlying cost of living and in that case I think it makes sense to move to Sac.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,216 times
Default Also moving from SF to Sac

I appreciate all the replies. I just signed a lease on a 2br in East Sac but also work in SF. I have a good job at a University but can't afford rents on my own anymore. I'm a single gal, no kids. I move in next week and will be hopefully taking the train Monday's and Friday's while staying with family in SF during the week for now. In a few months, I hope to find work, etc. in the area.

I wanted to be in midtown but ended up finding a duplex in East Sac for $1050... two br, yard, garage, washer and dryer hook--up's. It was a better value though more isolated. I became familiar with the area from an ex-boyfriend who used to live there. I always enjoyed the parks, trees and weather-esp. when it was freezing in SF!

I too am moving due to cost of living, weather and to make a step for my future, even if it seems crazy now.

Good luck!!!

Old 07-08-2012, 02:34 PM

6 posts, read 11,554 times
Ya know, after moving to Washington state in 95' I actually thought I longed for seeing the sun before 1:00 p.m. However after being back for six months and experiencing only one month of summer, I HATE THIS HEAT. It's uncomfortable after 30 minutes in the outdoors. Although I see younger people playing tennis at the park, (they MUST be nuts!) I find myself hiding in the air conditioned house and getting really bored. I would rather be in a cooler climate, like San Fran. If you are chilly you can always put on a jacket but in this heat there is no escape by changing your clothes. IT"S HOT AND UNCOMFORTABLE. =( Longing for Seattle!

Old 07-08-2012, 03:37 PM

356 posts, read 698,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatethisheat View Post
Ya know, after moving to Washington state in 95' I actually thought I longed for seeing the sun before 1:00 p.m. However after being back for six months and experiencing only one month of summer, I HATE THIS HEAT. It's uncomfortable after 30 minutes in the outdoors. Although I see younger people playing tennis at the park, (they MUST be nuts!) I find myself hiding in the air conditioned house and getting really bored. I would rather be in a cooler climate, like San Fran. If you are chilly you can always put on a jacket but in this heat there is no escape by changing your clothes. IT"S HOT AND UNCOMFORTABLE. =( Longing for Seattle!
Yesterday afternoon was a bit stifling. But have you tried going out in the mornings and evenings instead of the heat of the day? I find the mornings to be very pleasant, sometimes even a bit chilly. And most of June was really nice.

After moving here from the Northeast, I was really dreading the heat. But so far it hasn't been that bad, and I've acclimated well. The summer is much better here than in the Midwest -- I feel so bad for my friends out there!

Strangely, although I love sunny days, I miss seeing clouds and feeling raindrops now and then...

Old 07-15-2012, 11:21 AM

3,431 posts, read 5,206,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ozo View Post

Yeah, but those 30s and 40s are the LOW temps at night. The average high in Sac in January is about 53-54, and in SF it's about 57. San Jose is about 59-60. The differences are still relatively minor. I mean, you still have palm trees and orange trees growing all over Sacramento, so it's not that bad. In summer, Sacramento is 30-40 degrees hotter than SF, so the difference is much more extreme. I'd also say September/October will still tend to be warmer in Sac than SF (on average), so it's really only November through February that it's a little milder and sunnier on the coast. Overall, Sac has a gazillion times more sunny and warm days than SF in the course of the year.

Oakland is pretty nice, but I still think there are much better spots in the Bay Area. Fremont is even warmer than Oakland year-round, as are Palo Alto and San Jose.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:29 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,955,470 times
Hopefully the OP already made a decision - it's been 4 years since this was posted.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:05 AM

8,680 posts, read 17,194,381 times
Let it be a warning to others who assume that Sacramento is an inexpensive, primitive place they can colonize and rule over us as god-kings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento