Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:04 PM

5 posts, read 101,918 times

Advertisements

1) I was wondering what people though about Springlake community in Woodland....people reading this probably know that it is the large community development consisting of Centex homes and KB Homes. We like how it is a new development and like the idea of living in a brand new home (at a reasonable price).

2) My wife is applying for a PhD at Davis and we are either looking forward to moving to Woodland or Dixon. What are people's impressions of the two... what would they prefer?

We are currently living in Boston and will have to probably sell our condo next year. I will probably be working in Sacramento and maybe Vacaville...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 08:08 AM

14 posts, read 53,103 times
I think that is the area that I live in. Gibson and road 102?

Can't complain. The only thing that bothers me is that they promised a school/park to be built behind our house (which we were stoked about for home value) but then after a year have decided not to build the park and are stalling on the school and blaming the city. So it really might not have as much value in the long run. Also, we are next to a ton of farm crops so during the summer you're woken up every morning by crop dusters diving...why do you think I am awake so early? As far as schools, Pioneer High School is not really that safe (a young lady was raped after school in the bathroom by a random guy because it's an open campus) and you're right next to the county jail.

So there you have all the bad stuff that nobody will tell you about. But the only thing you really notice is the crop dusters if you're a light sleeper.

If you're working either in Vacaville or Sac, I would suggest Dixon. Its a (still somewhat) small community with access to a lot with a short drive. I know a few folks that just love it to bits. That said, I have no idea about how their real estate market is. My mom is an agent though, so if you're looking for one, message me and I'll send you the link to her website.

Happy hunting and best of luck!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:23 AM

91 posts, read 365,263 times
I would not raise my children in Woodland, sorry. Gangs are big there, Pioneer High is unsafe; my siblings attended school there and reported fights on a daily basis. Kids complained there is nothing to do and drank and partied...a lot.

The newer park off of Farnham is plagued by punks at night. Not safe-feeling in the least.

People aren't as friendly as they used to be, and half of the town acts too good for one another. It's sad because Woodland used to be a great little farm town.

Not too familiar with Dixon other than my relatives owning a business there in the 80's. Seems nice, though. And it's in between Sac and Vacaville, and close to Davis, a great community.

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2009, 03:57 PM

17 posts, read 40,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheninRoam View Post
I would not raise my children in Woodland, sorry. Gangs are big there, Pioneer High is unsafe; my siblings attended school there and reported fights on a daily basis. Kids complained there is nothing to do and drank and partied...a lot.

The newer park off of Farnham is plagued by punks at night. Not safe-feeling in the least.

People aren't as friendly as they used to be, and half of the town acts too good for one another. It's sad because Woodland used to be a great little farm town.

Good luck!
I noticed on this Forum that people are confusing Woodland Hills in Socal with Woodland in Northern Cal.

Which one are you referring to?

Old 11-01-2009, 10:50 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
I live in Davis and work at the University. I have friends who live in both Woodland and Dixon and from what they've said, I'd give the nod to Dixon, especially if you think you might be working in Vacaville at some point. Dixon is almost exactly midway between Davis and Vacaville. Real estate in Dixon is quite affordable, too, and there are some newer subdivisions there, as well.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,197 times
I live in Springlake community, and I see nothing wrong with the place. The neighbors are nice, the community is quiet, and you're only 5 miles away from Davis. The infrastructure is taking longer than expected, but the park is almost done being built, and the elementary school is still scheduled to be open. The people making those harsh comments are based on past stereotypes.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:06 PM

61 posts, read 244,503 times
I don't know much about Woodland, but I wouldn't move to Dixon. I grew up there, my family owned a business and I know a lot of cops. It is a weird small town where the schools don't get along with the police department, drugs are rampant and crime is ridiculous (for it's size). Growing up, we couldn't even put a potted plant on our doorstep without it being stolen. The schools are awful. If you have kids, do them a big favor, and just rent in Davis before you buy in Dixon. However, with no kids, it might be okay.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Bob View Post
I live in Springlake community, and I see nothing wrong with the place. The neighbors are nice, the community is quiet, and you're only 5 miles away from Davis. The infrastructure is taking longer than expected, but the park is almost done being built, and the elementary school is still scheduled to be open. The people making those harsh comments are based on past stereotypes.
No, I am still holding true to my earlier sediments. The crime has only gotten worse in Woodland, and I share the same opinions as many other life-long Woodland residents.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocalie View Post
I noticed on this Forum that people are confusing Woodland Hills in Socal with Woodland in Northern Cal.

Which one are you referring to?
Considering this is the Sacramento-area forum, and I am naming Woodland streets, and the OP asked about Woodland (not Woodland Hills) or Dixon....

Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 PM

306 posts, read 758,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michcoop99 View Post
I don't know much about Woodland, but I wouldn't move to Dixon. I grew up there, my family owned a business and I know a lot of cops. It is a weird small town where the schools don't get along with the police department, drugs are rampant and crime is ridiculous (for it's size). Growing up, we couldn't even put a potted plant on our doorstep without it being stolen. The schools are awful. If you have kids, do them a big favor, and just rent in Davis before you buy in Dixon. However, with no kids, it might be okay.
Do your wallet a favor, DON'T rent in Davis. Unless you're a millionaire you will just wind up shopping for everything in Dixon or Vacaville anyway. Even if you can get the rent down somewhere in Davis you will find that everything around you costs anywhere from "a ripoff" to "highway robbery." Unless, like I said, you're a millionaire or otherwise make way more than a single public school substitute teacher which is what I am. Ever since I moved here with roommates in an off-campus apartment, I found out that the Davis-Vacaville-Yuba/Sutter-Sac County-etc school teachers all live in DIXON. I'm from middle-class suburbia and I find myself OK with Dixon whereas not so much with parts of Woodland or West Sac. Woodland or West Sac, however, are probably easier to find cheaper rents in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento