Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:25 AM

1,789 posts, read 2,907,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
This is truly awesome. I am stuck inside my house or my work from mid April until late October here in Phoenix. I know There are people here that go bike riding in temps of 110, but at this temp, I would puke my guts out after an hour, and...die of heat stroke. Shade is so important to me now. I told my wife...if only there were a place that was affordable, had the sunshine that we moved here (phoenix) for, (yet NOT SO DARN HOT MOST OF THE YEAR), and had actual trees and grass. Some questions:

Can you rent a fast boat on lake Folsum to go skiing?

what is the sales tax amount?

How long, if you left on a Saturday, would it take to get to San Francisco (from Sacramento proper)?

There is AbSOLUTELY NO autumn here in Phoenix...here in Phoenix is goes from 110 down to around 100 degrees...No colors in the leaves to speak of. Is there a automn leaves there...at all? Is there a nice bike path to ride my bike and see Autumn if so?

Whats more popular, lake Shasta or lake Tahoe?

More questions keep running thru my head, but Ill ask them later. Thanks for your time.
san francisco is only a few hours from sac. i grew up in the bay area but rarely went to sac as it was hot there and not many reasons to go. but i also lived in mesa and the inland empire and even sac is looking better to me than oregon right now. the job part is the trick. pay isn't good and not many jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 11:40 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,956,893 times
Lake Folsom certainly has boats going skiiing. I haven't ever looked into renting one.

Sales tax 7.25%

SF drive - depends on where you start. For us, 90 minutes to 3 hours depending on if someone breaks down on the bridge (every time we go there this happens, I'll warn everyone next time)

The leaves do turn here, though it varies by area...there are a lot of evergreens that just don't turn.

Lots of bike paths with shade and tree coverage, once again depending on where you live.

Tahoe is more popular, but Shasta does get quite a few people. It's a much longer drive to Shasta than Tahoe.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:19 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,242,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
san francisco is only a few hours from sac. i grew up in the bay area but rarely went to sac as it was hot there and not many reasons to go. but i also lived in mesa and the inland empire and even sac is looking better to me than oregon right now. the job part is the trick. pay isn't good and not many jobs.
Lived in both Hemet (Inland empire and I currently live in Gilbert (surrounded by Mesa as you know), and I thought this would be more like the heat you endure in the Inland Empire. Nope, its more like the dry heat you would endure on the 7th plane of HELL. Also lived in Oregon. Like Oregon in the summer and fall, the rest of the year is just too cloudy and depressing. Im referring to Western Oregon.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Lived in both Hemet (Inland empire and I currently live in Gilbert (surrounded by Mesa as you know), and I thought this would be more like the heat you endure in the Inland Empire. Nope, its more like the dry heat you would endure on the 7th plane of HELL. Also lived in Oregon. Like Oregon in the summer and fall, the rest of the year is just too cloudy and depressing. Im referring to Western Oregon.
i agree about arizona. not fit for man nor beast. i was on the gilbert border just above baseline. wildomar was much better than arizona but still no comparison to the lovely weather of the bay. i'm in rural southern oregon and it has little crime, no gangs that i know of and little traffic. but the weather sucks and the jobs are just not here. would have left a LOT sooner had i not ended up with a stinking upside down house.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:17 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,260,698 times
What about the places cities in the mountains of Arizona like say Flagstaff or Sedona? I imagine that if you are at 4 or 5 thousand feet in the mountains of Arizona, the summers probably aren't that oppressive. I have never lived in either of those places but when I drove through them during a visit out to the Grand Canyon, they seemed like relatively nice places to live.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
What about the places cities in the mountains of Arizona like say Flagstaff or Sedona? I imagine that if you are at 4 or 5 thousand feet in the mountains of Arizona, the summers probably aren't that oppressive. I have never lived in either of those places but when I drove through them during a visit out to the Grand Canyon, they seemed like relatively nice places to live.
Bad Idea for my wife, she had ear operations when she was young so the high elevations are excruciating for her. Unemployment is another issue, those places are too small to find meaning full jobs. I have actual industry in Sacramento. My wife can also transfer to your area. Personally, its way to darn cold in Flagstaff in the Winter. One requirement is NO SNOW. I would also be further than ever away from the coast. No, Im pretty much done with this state (Arizona).

Old 06-27-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
i agree about arizona. not fit for man nor beast. i was on the gilbert border just above baseline. wildomar was much better than arizona but still no comparison to the lovely weather of the bay. i'm in rural southern oregon and it has little crime, no gangs that i know of and little traffic. but the weather sucks and the jobs are just not here. would have left a LOT sooner had i not ended up with a stinking upside down house.
Southern Oregon is Beautiful, I lived in Roseburg. 9 months of clouds can get under the skin of anybody. Just like 8 months of intense heat is getting to drive me insane her in Phoenix.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Southern Oregon is Beautiful, I lived in Roseburg. 9 months of clouds can get under the skin of anybody. Just like 8 months of intense heat is getting to drive me insane her in Phoenix.
yes, i'm in roseburg. seven years too long!

Old 06-27-2012, 11:18 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,260,698 times
Quote:
Bad Idea for my wife, she had ear operations when she was young so the high elevations are excruciating for her. Unemployment is another issue, those places are too small to find meaning full jobs. I have actual industry in Sacramento. My wife can also transfer to your area. Personally, its way to darn cold in Flagstaff in the Winter. One requirement is NO SNOW. I would also be further than ever away from the coast. No, Im pretty much done with this state (Arizona).
Right on. Sometimes you are just ready for a change. The only negative I see about making the move to Sacramento is that my general understanding is that the cost of living is higher in Sacramento than in Phx. I have some ex neighbors who moved from Sacramento to Phx and the primary benefit they expressed to me that they received when they moved to Phx they got to move into a bigger home in a better neighborhood than what they had in the Sacramento region.

If the primary reason you moved to Phx from Seattle initially was to move to a sunnier environment to get away from seasonal affective disorder, then I also think its worth mentioning that during the winter time the Sacramento region gets what is locally known as Tule Fog. Its a low level radiation fog, that occurs generally below 1000 to 1500 feet. But during the winter time it can be persistent. Generally we get about a month to 6 weeks of it in an average winter. Sometimes it burns off by late afternoon, but often it goes on for several days to a couple weeks in row. If you are one of the people who gets depression from a lack of sunlight it might be better to live in one of the foothill suburbs of Sacramento than closer to the City of Sacramento itself. If you are in Auburn generally you are above most of the fog that hits Sacramento. In El Dorado Hills, often is sometimes above the Tule fog and gets it much less often and for shorter durations. At this latitude as long as you stay below 3000-3500 ft generally you will avoid most of the winter time snow.

Tule fog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-28-2012, 12:01 AM

6,877 posts, read 8,177,838 times
Quote:
This is truly awesome.

Right Now at 9:45 PM

Sacramento: 74 degrees, 47% humidity, Clear

Phoenix: 96 degrees, 36% humidity, Blowing Dust
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento