Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 8,679 times

Advertisements

Hi I recently moved to Sacramento and work in Arden Carmichael/Arden-arcade Area. I am split between Davis and Folsom. I have a high school (9th grade) kid and I have heard schools are good both in Davis and Folsom. I have visited Davis couple of times and loved the environment there. But I have heard the commute to and from Davis is troublesome due to sun glare. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 06:13 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soms1 View Post
Hi I recently moved to Sacramento and work in Arden Carmichael/Arden-arcade Area. I am split between Davis and Folsom. I have a high school (9th grade) kid and I have heard schools are good both in Davis and Folsom. I have visited Davis couple of times and loved the environment there. But I have heard the commute to and from Davis is troublesome due to sun glare. Any suggestions?
Either way, I think the commute isn't going to be ideal. It's bumper-to-bumper traveling west on HWy50 from Folsom towards the center of town, and traffic is frequently at a snail's pace. I'm going to assume that from Davis to downtown Sac is bad too for the same reason.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:39 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
I always recommend trying the drive at normal commuting hours to compare. There's no better way.

I don't know your budget, but housing prices in Davis are significantly higher than in Folsom.

Other than that, what are your concerns or desires in living somewhere?

Old 06-27-2012, 12:31 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,305,056 times
If you are living in Sacramento and working in Arden Arcade/Carmichael, why create the unpleasant commute for yourself? Have you looked at Mira Loma High School. Its an excellent school and its really close to where you work. I am not saying that either Davis High nor Folsom High School are bad schools, they aren't. But they are quite far from where you work and that means creating a large commute for yourself.

Awards - Mira Loma High School Parents

Mira Loma High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mira Loma

Old 06-27-2012, 04:37 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,337 times
Or check into Rio Americano High School. I love the Arden Park and other areas that border the American River on the north.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:41 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
With the significant change in sunrise and sunset times during the course of a year, your problem with glare should only last a couple of months a year.

If you liked Davis, you likely wouldn't be as thrilled with Folsom. The two areas are both nice but very different from each other.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:03 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,305,056 times
It might be useful to know what the OP is specifically looking for in both Folsom and Davis. I mean both areas have fairly extensive networks of bike paths, the schools in both neighborhoods are pretty good. Both communities are relatively safe for the region. The big differences is that Folsom is more wealthy Republican whereas Davis is more a bunch of wealthy liberals.

But if its just looking for areas with good schools, that definitely can be found closer than either Davis or Folsom. I agree that both Mira Loma and Rio are excellent choices. Mira Loma and Rio Americano are actually numbers 1 and 2 in average SAT scores in Sacramento County. So I don't think that you would be putting your child a huge disadvantage by sending them to something closer to where you work and live.

Highest Average SAT Scores in Sacramento County - California Schools Guide - Los Angeles Times

Old 06-28-2012, 10:37 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,416 times
Quote:
Davis - Hippies and Students

Folsom - Rednecks with money

Old 06-28-2012, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 8,679 times
Thanks everyone for your enlightening info and suggestions. My priorities in the order of importance are:
1)Education for my kid
2)Safe neighborhood
3)Commute
4) House

Based on my income (and thus limit), I will chose whatever can be bought with that. I might end up with an old and ugly house in Davis or a relatively bigger and better house with my limited means.

soms

Old 06-28-2012, 02:12 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,584 times
I think that you have a preference for Davis. Test the commutes, and if the Davis one is equal to or marginally worse than Folsom, then go davis. Politically, they are very different so that could weigh in a little too. Folsom is very suburban cookie cutter, and not redneck IMO- although The last post was pretty funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento