Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:32 PM

90 posts, read 200,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro View Post
I don't think there is a lot of racism in California, or the united states for that matter. The leader of our country is biracial as are many top earners. Caucasians may officially be the minority. Racism ranks right up there with kicking puppies in the socially acceptable arena.
I will agree that there isn't much in California but I was alarmed to find out how much there still is out there in some other parts of the country. My (Mexican) husband comes from a relatively affluent family. His parents bought a home in Atlanta in a neighborhood similar to Los Lagos here in the Sacramento area. So it was a very nice home and you need to have a good amount of money to live there. They ended up leaving because the racism was suffocating. When my hubby and I went out to visit them, I was approached by more than one random stranger asking why I would marry a {insert derogatory word for a Mexican here}. Mind you, more people were perfectly pleasant, but I have never seen racism like that and really thought it no longer existed.

Since then I have met a few people, all from the South, who have proven to me that racism is still alive and well. Now, I don't by any means think that all Southerners are racist, but that is the only place that I have seen it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 07:44 PM

8,679 posts, read 17,186,497 times
Public puppy-kicking is considered unacceptable, but a lot of private puppy-kicking still happens these days where we don't necessarily see it, but the puppy still gets kicked.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:45 AM

409 posts, read 952,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumtopaz View Post
Moderator cut: member request

Hello,

While the City of Sacramento is diverse some of the surrounding communities are not. It seems that you may be uncomfortable in an area that lacks diversity. Not clear why you and your husband chose Rocklin but generally people choose the suburbs looking for low crime and good schools. Retail and proximity to employment are other factors as well. The communities that are touted as the safest in the Sacramento region (and safe neighborhoods in the Sacramento region generally means very rare violent crime but there is property crime) with consistently good schools are in areas that lack diversity. However, that doesn't mean you can't find areas that are diverse, offer access to good schools, and are low crime. It does require a bit more research. One other consideration...as mentioned by another poster... you may find class to be more of an issue in the wealthier areas near Sacramento (seems that driving the "right car" and wearing designer clothing may be more of an issue for some...NOT EVERYONE...but some folks, unfortunately)

Consider the following(and if time permits maybe do a bit of shopping/dining in these areas just to get a feel for the place):

Elk Grove (south of Sacramento between Interstate 5 and Highway 99) is a city that has a few problem areas but also some very nice neighborhoods with good quality schools as well as being diverse.

Another option (may seem odd but)

Folsom (east of Sacramento along Highway 50)...definitely not diverse but the presence of a South Asian population gives it a bit more IMO "cosmopolitan" feel. You also have excellent schools and low crime.

Here's some links to help:

1) Greatschools.org

2) For Rocklin crime check the following link CrimeGraphics.com

3) For Sacramento County check the following CrimeView Community Incident Map

4) //www.city-data.com/city/California.html (racial statistics,household income, etc)

Just a suggestion: If Rocklin is close to your employment that may be a reason to live there. Maybe rent a house in a neighborhood first to make sure you and your husband enjoy living there.

Last edited by Yac; 09-03-2013 at 01:46 AM..

Old 07-16-2012, 01:31 PM

409 posts, read 952,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieJen View Post
I will agree that there isn't much in California but I was alarmed to find out how much there still is out there in some other parts of the country. My (Mexican) husband comes from a relatively affluent family. His parents bought a home in Atlanta in a neighborhood similar to Los Lagos here in the Sacramento area. So it was a very nice home and you need to have a good amount of money to live there. They ended up leaving because the racism was suffocating. When my hubby and I went out to visit them, I was approached by more than one random stranger asking why I would marry a {insert derogatory word for a Mexican here}. Mind you, more people were perfectly pleasant, but I have never seen racism like that and really thought it no longer existed.

Since then I have met a few people, all from the South, who have proven to me that racism is still alive and well. Now, I don't by any means think that all Southerners are racist, but that is the only place that I have seen it.
Wow...racism delivered with charm and a smile...must be part of that southern hospitality. The hot humid weather and mosquitos would be suffocating enough y'all

Old 07-16-2012, 08:42 PM

762 posts, read 2,018,521 times
If I went out on the street in front of my house in rocklin and made a racial joke, even if I was kidding and meant no harm, I would be attacked. It's not cool to be racist, this isn't the south, and puppies can't speak. I am sure you will feel welcome in rocklin. People don't care about skin color, they care about status, money, and how you make them feel about themselves. Or some people just care if you are a good neighbor and a nice person. On the other hand, if you are looking for racial diversity, sac county has more to offer than placer county.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 PM

5 posts, read 28,163 times
No we aren't necessarily looking for diversity, just a nice neighborhood with nice people. Sounds like we chose a good area. Thank you!

Old 07-17-2012, 05:33 AM

505 posts, read 1,657,845 times
I live in Lincoln, which borders Rocklin and Roseville and we moved up from the Bay Area several years ago. As others have already mentioned, you probably won't experience any racism, but you will see classism and the snooty rich 18 year olds driving convertible Mercedes and cutting you off.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:45 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumtopaz View Post
Moderator cut: member request
sometimes if we preceive ourselves as being different we draw attention to the difference or we imagine people are looking or thinking negative thoughts. There are not a lot of places anywhere, anymore and especially in Ca where you will have to worry too much about being racially mixed. I think, as humans, we all might take a second look at some people from time to time, but not due to racism as much as curiosity. Even here in NWA we have mixed marriages, we see kids that are obviously mixed and most people think very little about it.

Just enjoy your new home, don't pay too much attentionn to negatives you read (remember it is always easier to write the bad than the good) and be friendly. Going out of your way to be nice to people will work wonders.

As for the summers, we actually, many years ago moved from Arcadia to east Sacramento area and loved the summers. Yes, the days can be very warm, but the nights cool off completely and there is always A/C.

Last edited by Yac; 09-03-2013 at 01:46 AM..

Old 07-17-2012, 05:48 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
Have you thought about the Anatolia area of Rancho Cordova?

Its an area that feeds into Pleasant Grove High School. What is notable about the school is the general strength of test scores of African American students at that high school. In a lot of the other high schools, the overall test scores might be high but there aren't a significant number of African American students at the high school or at the schools with a significant number of African American students there aren't a significant number of Africa American students who are doing particularly well on standardized tests. Pleasant Grove High School is somewhat of a data outliers here where there are significant number of African American kids who are doing very well on standardized test scores.

You can see test scores for African American students at Pleasant Grove High School here.

2011 Growth API School Report - Pleasant Grove High

and compare them with test scores in other high school students in Sacramento County here

API County List of Schools

and other high schools in Placer County here

2011 Base API County List of Schools - PLACER County
I think the Op has already bought a home, it would be a little late to consider another location.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:50 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,779,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
As others have already mentioned, you probably won't experience any racism, but you will see classism and the snooty rich 18 year olds driving convertible Mercedes and cutting you off.
That attitude is everywhere, not just Rocklin/Roseville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento