U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:09 PM

409 posts, read 823,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
I live in Lincoln, which borders Rocklin and Roseville and we moved up from the Bay Area several years ago. As others have already mentioned, you probably won't experience any racism, but you will see classism and the snooty rich 18 year olds driving convertible Mercedes and cutting you off.
Was in East Roseville not too long ago and puzzled at the senseless driving. Beemer cuts off an Acura and of course the guy in the Acura is not having any of that so he cuts off a gal in a Mercedes to keep up with the Beemer. What's the rush? Its not like Tiffany and Company is having a sale.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:00 PM

5,102 posts, read 8,332,863 times
/\ /\ I just noticed the same thing tonight in the Whole Foods parking lot in Folsom.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:43 AM

5 posts, read 24,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
That attitude is everywhere, not just Rocklin/Roseville.

Agreed

Old 07-21-2012, 03:04 PM

66 posts, read 100,351 times
We were staring at you because you're from LA. :-)

Old 08-20-2012, 02:14 PM

981 posts, read 2,156,048 times
Default It's mostly about how you dress and act

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumtopaz View Post
Moderator cut: member request
I think nobody will bother you much if you don't thump bass and porch-sit all the time, creating disruptive racket. Most people are fine with those who don't act or dress like beligerent, entitled thugs. That's my take on "racism" in general. The whole Sacramento area is diverse to the point where you don't see overt racism, except maybe in the form of gang attitudes.

Certain ethnic groups get a reputation from their members who behave badly, and people of different races carry negative stereotypes because of the bad apples. So, you end up having to prove you're not a bad apple, especially if you adopt a "thuggy" look, even if you think it's just a way you like to dress. Basic appearances and attitudes mean a lot.

While living not far from Rocklin a number of years ago, I became an instant "racist" after a group of blacks (who'd apparently migrated from Oakland) decided that their criminally-intrusive subwoofers were more important than everyone else's peace, quiet, ability to sleep & mental health within 100 yards. They were impossible to reason with and I wished they would simply die in a car crash while adjusting the 50Hz EQ. I ended up moving because flies tend to draw other flies and the neighborhood went to pot.

To this day, I can't stand the sight of pimped cars or anything remotely ghetto, and consider such people worthless druggie criminals on the spot. That's just how it goes with life and personal experiences. Call it "racism" if you like, but it's a reality of the human condition. If you're nothing like such people, don't take this personally. You'll probably do fine in Rocklin. As they say "When in Rome..."

Last edited by Yac; 09-03-2013 at 12:47 AM..

Old 08-20-2012, 02:32 PM

981 posts, read 2,156,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by u225615 View Post
Was in East Roseville not too long ago and puzzled at the senseless driving. Beemer cuts off an Acura and of course the guy in the Acura is not having any of that so he cuts off a gal in a Mercedes to keep up with the Beemer. What's the rush? Its not like Tiffany and Company is having a sale.
I wouldn't assume everyone who drives expensive cars is rich. Many are thugs who invest a lopsided amount on showing off, and bad drivers aren't limited to any particular area. In that case it may have been some punks from Sierra College. I am not impressed by anyone who thinks moving a gas pedal with one's foot proves something about prestige or skill.

A note on speeding in general: Peak Oil deniers who complain about gas prices should realize that slowing down is a simple way to save fuel. It also makes for more relaxing driving when you drop the mindset of trying to outrun everyone else. There is no "front of the line" or "winner" on a 24/7 public road.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:17 AM

210 posts, read 237,577 times
A little late to the thread, but as others have said Rocklin isn't a hotbed fro racist people. It's pretty white in general, but no real animosity towards others. It's a pretty friendly place, like most of Roseville/Rocklin/Granite Bay area.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:32 PM

529 posts, read 725,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieJen View Post
I will agree that there isn't much in California but I was alarmed to find out how much there still is out there in some other parts of the country. My (Mexican) husband comes from a relatively affluent family. His parents bought a home in Atlanta in a neighborhood similar to Los Lagos here in the Sacramento area. So it was a very nice home and you need to have a good amount of money to live there. They ended up leaving because the racism was suffocating. When my hubby and I went out to visit them, I was approached by more than one random stranger asking why I would marry a {insert derogatory word for a Mexican here}. Mind you, more people were perfectly pleasant, but I have never seen racism like that and really thought it no longer existed.

Since then I have met a few people, all from the South, who have proven to me that racism is still alive and well. Now, I don't by any means think that all Southerners are racist, but that is the only place that I have seen it.

Wrong.. its here. But for some odd reason the people who hate open racism the most will never ever detect underlying racism or blacklisting like what goes on here. The kind where they don't always tell you to your face but you still feel it. PLENTY of that **** in the foothills where you know you aren't wanted just by the feel of the environment. But I guess it takes a smart person to see that kind of racism now doesn't it?

And speaking of Rocklin, Live Oak Tavern. I went there on a Friday night once. Not one person was in there. I think the community blacklisted the owner. It showed huge because everyone was at the bar down the street but not one was at this place here. I went in to see what it was all about. The guy was pretty nice too, just a little rough around the edges. Said he was in the area for 50 yrs or so and for some odd reason, everyone stops going to his bar. I can see these communities as the types where you could easily be ostracized if you **** someone off.. they wont always look to fight you but you can still see it in their actions.

I respect those who have the courtesy to say what they believe in. Give me open racism over this closed up bottle racism here in California. I love that they asked you in that way. I would have been at least curious or have wondered why there was nobody in your own available to you.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:41 PM

529 posts, read 725,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro View Post
If I went out on the street in front of my house in rocklin and made a racial joke, even if I was kidding and meant no harm, I would be attacked. It's not cool to be racist, this isn't the south, and puppies can't speak. I am sure you will feel welcome in rocklin. People don't care about skin color, they care about status, money, and how you make them feel about themselves. Or some people just care if you are a good neighbor and a nice person. On the other hand, if you are looking for racial diversity, sac county has more to offer than placer county.
This is also bad too. Again, give me a more community oriented area even if it has overt racism. I would just know automatically that dating a nonwhite isn't an option and even more especially if the local white girls are nicer, I could just go for one of those instead like normal people would do. See I am not shy about my racial opinions and I am a Yank from Massachusetts originally. See I think we should switch to a world where everyones opinions are right out there in the open. See how fun it is?

And as far as racial jokes go, the problem with those are they get redundant. People can parrot them over and over, show those grossly over exaggerating racial features. That's not my style so much. I like the talking it out method more.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:17 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,032,723 times
Anyone is racist if you're looking for it. ANY ONE.

My advice: get that chip off your shoulder. Life is too short to worry about if other people like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento