U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 11:10 PM

5 posts, read 24,973 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: member request

Last edited by Yac; 09-03-2013 at 12:45 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 11:58 PM

25 posts, read 89,579 times
We moved here last September. My husband is 1/2 Japanese 1/2 white although he looks Hispanic to a lot of people. I am white. Our kids are obviously mixed race as well and we have had no problems. I am originally from Huntington Beach. Our street has multiple families of different races. We love it up here. I know there are some idiots around but you will find that any place you go. So far we have not had any issues with racism. What part of Rocklin are you moving to? Just curious. Good luck with the move and relax and enjoy this new adventure!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:29 AM

28 posts, read 55,719 times
Hi, my kids are mixed race (white/native) and we lived in Stanford Ranch, Rocklin for a few years. I did not encounter any racism, but it is a dominantly white area.
I think what you would encounter in Rocklin is classism, but if you live there, you can obviously afford to, lol.
You should be fine, it's a lovely community.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:24 AM

5 posts, read 24,973 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you so much for the answers! I really appreciate it. I wasn't really worried until I read some posts on here that sounded just awful!. But you made me feel a lot better! *mrsmiscellanea* Definitely like the way you added classism lol. Definitely feel comfortable with classy areas.

Now our only worry is the heat! My goodness we looked at the weather today and it reached 106 there today! How do you guys deal with it? That's much hotter than LA gets!

* NikkiK* that's great you're from SOCAL! We love it here but are ready for a change. It's nice to hear that someone from down here likes it so much up there. Also I'm so unfamiliar with Rocklin, that I'm not quite sure what area it is considered. It is zip 95677, close to sunset and fairway. Is that considered a good area? What area are you in?

Old 07-13-2012, 10:11 AM

28 posts, read 55,719 times
This Summer has been really mild until now, and we aren't supposed to be getting many more days like this. But it is common to have about a month of triple digits.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:56 AM

3,724 posts, read 8,834,720 times
How do we deal with the heat? In the pool, waterpark, lake, or air conditioned house! Nice thing is that it mostly doesn't hit the really high temps until the afternoon and it cools off quite nicely at night.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:32 PM

25 posts, read 89,579 times
That is a nice area but honestly I have not seen any "bad" areas up here yet. I am sure there are places that are a little less desirable but overall the city is really nice. We live in the 95765 zip off of Blue Oaks in the "Cresleigh Springs" neighborhood. Good luck with the move and don't worry about the weather, for the most part it is really nice.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:19 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,561,130 times
Have you thought about the Anatolia area of Rancho Cordova?

Its an area that feeds into Pleasant Grove High School. What is notable about the school is the general strength of test scores of African American students at that high school. In a lot of the other high schools, the overall test scores might be high but there aren't a significant number of African American students at the high school or at the schools with a significant number of African American students there aren't a significant number of Africa American students who are doing particularly well on standardized tests. Pleasant Grove High School is somewhat of a data outliers here where there are significant number of African American kids who are doing very well on standardized test scores.

You can see test scores for African American students at Pleasant Grove High School here.

2011 Growth API School Report - Pleasant Grove High

and compare them with test scores in other high school students in Sacramento County here

API County List of Schools

and other high schools in Placer County here

2011 Base API County List of Schools - PLACER County

Old 07-15-2012, 05:14 PM

90 posts, read 180,303 times
I will just echo what the others have said. I lived in the Rocklin area for a few years. I am white but my husband is Hispanic. We never had a single problem, never even an odd look. The only time we got anything was when people would talk to him in Spanish and I would answer (he doesn't speak it at all and I am fluent).

Old 07-15-2012, 05:55 PM

759 posts, read 1,740,325 times
I don't think there is a lot of racism in California, or the united states for that matter. The leader of our country is biracial as are many top earners. Caucasians may officially be the minority. Racism ranks right up there with kicking puppies in the socially acceptable arena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento