Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:50 PM

771 posts, read 1,575,401 times

Advertisements

I think one of the things that strikes me so much about California, from living here in Sacramento, and having visited LA and the Bay Area several times, is just how shabby and overpriced most of the housing stock is for what you get compared to the rest of the country.

The suburbs here are shabby - even the newer stuff looks like its going to fall apart about a year after its been put up.

My kids want to move here to live with me during the school year - they live in CT - but the schools are just so bad in Sacramento - there's no high school in the city that isn't a gangbanger central in terms of the values of most of the kids and their familes that attends it, and I'm not going to pay $2K a month to rent in Roseville or Folsom where the socioeconomic structure is such that they'd be in a school environment where they'd actually learn something besides gang colors and how many times they can work the word mother(blank) into their speech.

People talk about Elk Grove being "nice" but its also falling apart; moreover, its right next to South Sac and all the gangbanger influence there as well. I'm glad I have a good paying job but a part of me REALLY wants to move back to the Midwest or South where housing is a LOT cheaper, taxes are a hell of a lot lower, there's far less nanny state regulation, and where the schools are decent... more importantly, the absence of gangbanger culture *everywhere* (and this is not a skin color thingy either - I see 'bangers in all colors here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 06:52 PM

409 posts, read 953,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
I think one of the things that strikes me so much about California, from living here in Sacramento, and having visited LA and the Bay Area several times, is just how shabby and overpriced most of the housing stock is for what you get compared to the rest of the country.

The suburbs here are shabby - even the newer stuff looks like its going to fall apart about a year after its been put up.

My kids want to move here to live with me during the school year - they live in CT - but the schools are just so bad in Sacramento - there's no high school in the city that isn't a gangbanger central in terms of the values of most of the kids and their familes that attends it, and I'm not going to pay $2K a month to rent in Roseville or Folsom where the socioeconomic structure is such that they'd be in a school environment where they'd actually learn something besides gang colors and how many times they can work the word mother(blank) into their speech.

People talk about Elk Grove being "nice" but its also falling apart; moreover, its right next to South Sac and all the gangbanger influence there as well. I'm glad I have a good paying job but a part of me REALLY wants to move back to the Midwest or South where housing is a LOT cheaper, taxes are a hell of a lot lower, there's far less nanny state regulation, and where the schools are decent... more importantly, the absence of gangbanger culture *everywhere* (and this is not a skin color thingy either - I see 'bangers in all colors here).
I would agree with the viewpoint that an equivalently priced home outside of California will likely feature more amenities, square footage, bigger lot sizes, etc (a person does pay a premium for living in the "Golden State").

Sacramento and its suburbs offer a range of housing stock from cookie cutter homes to custom homes, Victorian to Mediterranean styles, inexpensive to pricey.

I have lived in my home now for 6 years and the home outside and in looks like new without having to perform more than common sense maintenance. The neighborhood is going on 8 years and features tidy homes, well maintained common areas, and parks. A bit puzzled about your statement that the suburbs, at least around Sacramento, are shabby.

As far as the the schools being "so bad" in Sacramento and just a cut above in the suburbs it would be of interest to compare the average SAT scores of public schools in Sacramento and vicinity to the range of SAT scores of some top public universities in the Midwest. I use the Midwest as an example since you mentioned the Midwest has decent schools. And, I use SAT scores as they are an important metric used in the admission process for college.

For average SAT scores in Sacramento and vicinity see below:
Top API Scores (2011) - California Schools Guide - Los Angeles Times

For the range of SAT scores for the top public universities in the Midwest:
SAT Scores for Best Public Colleges in the Midwest - SAT Scores - Best Public Colleges in the Midwest

As you can see from the above links a student from any number of schools in Sacramento and vicinity will be within the SAT range of students attending a number of those top public universities.

Can public education in California be improved? Most definitely. Can parents pay more attention to their children in terms of morals and language, of course (and many do). However, a decent education is available in and around Sacramento without having children pick up on the foul language and questionable morals of some of their peers.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:30 PM

771 posts, read 1,575,401 times
The best suburbs of any place I've ever lived were in Dayton, OH. Nice, clean, cheap, great public schools.

I'm from Iowa, and I'm sorry, the best public school in California just isn't as nice, and between the drugs, gangs, and just the mess this place is, I shudder when I think about putting my kids in public schools here. Its not safe.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:44 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,197,096 times
Isn't Dayton currently experiencing a 15% or so vacancy rate because people are fleeing the city so rapidly?

Old 08-09-2012, 04:40 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,662,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
The best suburbs of any place I've ever lived were in Dayton, OH. Nice, clean, cheap, great public schools.

I'm from Iowa, and I'm sorry, the best public school in California just isn't as nice, and between the drugs, gangs, and just the mess this place is, I shudder when I think about putting my kids in public schools here. Its not safe.
Really? You send your kids to green haven elementary school or some other south sac public school? I know many schools in roseville and folsom that are contradictory to your statement. If all else fails, send them to a Catholic or random christian school if you are concerned..

To get back on topic. I loved Folsom growing up and I don't know if I'll ever get over my Sacramento addiction, as I will call it. Anyone know if it's tough opening a business in Folsom? In comparison to downtown, for example? I want to hear from experience, not a google paperwork answer.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:12 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,788,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post

To get back on topic. I loved Folsom growing up and I don't know if I'll ever get over my Sacramento addiction, as I will call it. Anyone know if it's tough opening a business in Folsom? In comparison to downtown, for example? I want to hear from experience, not a google paperwork answer.
I've heard it is from a couple of people who have opened independently owned businesses....Chez Daniel & Dickey's BBQ. To read more about their "adventures" go to www my folsom dot com & search by the business name.

What kind of business do you own?

Old 08-09-2012, 07:25 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,662,213 times
Cali, not to seem like a noob, but I searched for that business in the search section of that website, nothing comes up. You are more than welcome to PM me a link to it.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Cali, not to seem like a noob, but I searched for that business in the search section of that website, nothing comes up. You are more than welcome to PM me a link to it.
Done

oh...I see I got the address wrong. It is www dot tomatopages dot com/folsomforum
Although it can be found with both addresses. Anyways, the direct link is waiting for you.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:44 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,781,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
I would say underlying a lot of the critique of suburbia is a resentment of the middle class. I mean the Gap and Banana Republic import just about everything from contract manufacturers using exploited 3rd world laborers, but when someone wants to attack the suburban values, generally they attack Walmart. At least with Walmart it provides affordable goods for people who would otherwise not be able to afford new goods. At the prices that Banana Republic and the Gap are charging they probably could afford to make some the things domestically. But because the Gap and Banana Republic stores sell goods to people who are more affluent and have locations not just in the suburbs, there policies just aren't mentioned.

Even the attack on Rednecks, is an attack on less affluent white people. Again this is another class based attack.
There are those who resent proles living in prole suburbs, and believe proles should be turned into New Urbanist Soviet Men like themselves.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
There are those who resent proles living in prole suburbs, and believe proles should be turned into New Urbanist Soviet Men like themselves.
Proles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento