Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 03:55 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
I suspect the commute down 80 or Roseville Rd to where your husband works is probably pretty similar in duration to the commute from Elmhurst. But the average cost per square foot of house is probably a little less expensive. You might also look at some of the open houses in the newer neighborhoods in Roseville to see your options.
Hmmmm I'd suggest a practice commute or two if that made a move that far. Roseville is twice the distance plus far more traffic than coming from Elmhurst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 06:47 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,307,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faiths13 View Post
Ok, so what do you all think about Antelope? I pretty much scratched it off my list, but I am curious to hear what others think of the area/buying a home there. Im just starting to think I might be better off looking in CH, FO or OV to get a bigger home on a nice size lot and have to give up some of the things I love about where I am now.
I realize that you personally don't care about schools, but in terms of neighborhood stability, having stronger public schools tends to stabilize the neighborhood. In general the public schools in Antelope are better than the public schools in Natomas. Center High is a much better performing public high school than say Inderkum or Natomas High Schools. That the public schools in the area are better despite the housing stock being older generally suggests to me that the neighborhood is probably a lot better too. So yes I would take Antelope over N. Natomas.

Citrus Heights is hit or miss. There are parts of it closer to Roseville that I thought were still quite nice but there are other parts especially between the Railroad and 80, that I am quite skeptical about. Additionally there are problems in some of the neighborhoods with lots of apartments near the Sunrise Mall. I like most of Fair Oaks and most of Orangevale, but the housing stock in those neighborhoods is mostly from the 50's to 80's.

If you were going to look at those neighborhoods I would probably look at Garden of the Gods or Del Paso Manor. I think the housing quality is probably similar but they are much closer commute and closer to downtown.

Homes for Sale in Garden of the Gods, Arden-Arcade, CA | Redfin

Homes for Sale in Del Paso Manor, Arden-Arcade, CA | Redfin

Old 08-10-2012, 06:49 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
I still worry that there are unexploded bombs under Antelope from the Southern Pacific munitions train explosion 40 years ago.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:54 PM

30 posts, read 75,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
I realize that you personally don't care about schools, but in terms of neighborhood stability, having stronger public schools tends to stabilize the neighborhood. In general the public schools in Antelope are better than the public schools in Natomas. Center High is a much better performing public high school than say Inderkum or Natomas High Schools. That the public schools in the area are better despite the housing stock being older generally suggests to me that the neighborhood is probably a lot better too. So yes I would take Antelope over N. Natomas.

Citrus Heights is hit or miss. There are parts of it closer to Roseville that I thought were still quite nice but there are other parts especially between the Railroad and 80, that I am quite skeptical about. Additionally there are problems in some of the neighborhoods with lots of apartments near the Sunrise Mall. I like most of Fair Oaks and most of Orangevale, but the housing stock in those neighborhoods is mostly from the 50's to 80's.

If you were going to look at those neighborhoods I would probably look at Garden of the Gods or Del Paso Manor. I think the housing quality is probably similar but they are much closer commute and closer to downtown.

Homes for Sale in Garden of the Gods, Arden-Arcade, CA | Redfin

Homes for Sale in Del Paso Manor, Arden-Arcade, CA | Redfin
There is actually a neighborhood called Garden of the Gods? lol I have thought about the Arden area, but I thought it wasn't a very nice one? I wouldn't say I don't care about the quality of the schools - my kids could some day decide to go back to public school and then I would def care, lol. You make a good point about a better school will prob be a better neighborhood. I didn't realize the Antelope schools were better than Natomas, lol. Although I have heard some bad things about Inderkum. It seems like it is so hard to pin point which neighborhoods are good and bad when there are so many! I really want to buy a house I can live in for the next 20 years and watch my kids all move out when they are old enough. So this decision is huge. I realize there is a chance I may not buy a house and live there for 20 years, but that is my dream. I have moved far too many times and I just want a home, lol.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:19 PM

30 posts, read 75,901 times
oops I forgot to add Carmichael to that list

Old 08-10-2012, 07:54 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,307,020 times
The streets in Garden of Gods are named after Greek Gods. (Thor, Morpheus etc).

Older areas are more hit or miss. Some areas hold up well some don't. In Sacramento you have neighborhoods like Oak Park between East Sac and Curtis Park. Arden is like Sacramento there are parts of it like Arden Park and Arden Oaks that are very nice and other parts generally west of Watt that aren't as nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento