Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 03:08 AM

409 posts, read 956,950 times

Advertisements

As all can see from the photos even much maligned Sacramento suburbs such as Rancho Cordova have areas that are not shabby, ghetto, or dangerous.

Ok so some areas of Rancho Cordova wont kill me (literally) but the schools remain poor performing, right?

If you live south of Douglas Road (Anatolia, Sunridge Park, and Kavala Ranch) your kids will attend Sunrise Elementary School with an API rank of 9/10 and an API numerical score of 897 which is an increase from last year. This school shares an API in line with schools in Rocklin and the better parts of Roseville. No way you say...way! Check the link below and compare:

http://projects.latimes.com/schools/custom-ranking/county/los-angeles/statistic/api-scores/order/highest/

An interesting fact of Sunrise Elementary is that it's diverse. The API score of the usual two top performing groups such as Asians and Filipinos as well as Whites indicate these groups do especially well here.

Ok so what about the middle and high school. Do my kids need to learn gang signs?

Kids attend the better performing middle and high school in Elk Grove. For example, Pleasant Grove High has an API rank of 9/10 with a numerical score of 857 which represents an increase from last year. This compares favorably with schools in Roseville.

So now the new homes built will be ugly, small, and plain?
Current homes are up to 2800 square feet and are available with the sought after granite, stainless steel appliances, double ovens, 3 car garages, etc. Resales in Anatolia from time to time feature even larger homes but listings are sparse.

But I want it all good schools, low crime, prestigious address, retail etc?

Well you get good schools (south of Douglas Road) and low crime (in the newer areas). But for those that want it all... Break your piggy bank because you'll be paying 100K to 200K more for comparably sized homes. For some that's worth it and that's great because Sacramento and its surrounding suburbs offer a wide variety of living environments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 01:01 PM

190 posts, read 298,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
I'm going to add that much of the "new" isn't all that nice to begin with. Look at parts of Natomas, built just a few years ago and falling apart, much like what you see in Elk Grove and Rancho. Poorly built, overpriced, ugh.
Which parts of North Natomas are you talking about? How bad are the construction/materials in those houses?

Old 07-20-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I don't get all the positive Elk Grove comments. The place is a dump. So is Rancho.

Folsom, Roseville and EDH are OK, but the rest of the metro area, with small pockets here and there, is a dump compared to other similar sized cities in the interior of the country. When 1 out of 4 houses is owned by slumlords and given California's huge population of welfare moochers, all I see are gangbangers and wannabees in this metro area. Its terribly depressing.
Not to mention all the rednecks

But seriously, is there any reason why Sacramento would have any more welfare recipients than any other metro area? (if you are on welfare you can live anywhere that you can afford, correct?) Is there any statistical data to back up your perceptions?

Old 07-20-2013, 03:39 PM

137 posts, read 344,598 times
I will in no way defend bluevelo's ugly comments, but it should be noted that "anywhere you can afford" does not include a great number of anywheres for a family who qualifies for cash aid. Although the amount received is truly a pittance in comparison, the cost of living in Sacramento is still lower than in SF, LA, or SD. I'm not sure what "other similar sized cities in the interior" bluevelo is referring to. Perhaps Kansas City?

Old 07-20-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacramentoBound View Post
I will in no way defend bluevelo's ugly comments, but it should be noted that "anywhere you can afford" does not include a great number of anywheres for a family who qualifies for cash aid. Although the amount received is truly a pittance in comparison, the cost of living in Sacramento is still lower than in SF, LA, or SD. I'm not sure what "other similar sized cities in the interior" bluevelo is referring to. Perhaps Kansas City?
Sure a fixed income will go further in the Sac area than LA, SF or SD, but there are still plenty of welfare recipients living in these expensive California cities, no? And there are plenty of rural areas in Cali where the rents are even cheaper than metro Sacramento. So is there any reason to believe that Bluevelo is suffering more Socio-economic blight per capita than other similar sized cities?

Last edited by terranova; 07-20-2013 at 06:29 PM..

Old 07-20-2013, 06:32 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terranova View Post
Sure a fixed income will go further in the Sac area than LA, SF or SD, but there are still plenty of welfare recipients living in these expensive California cities, no? And there are plenty of rural areas in Cali where the rents are even cheaper than metro Sacramento. So is there any reason to believe that Bluevelo is suffering more economic blight per capita than other similar sized cities?
Yes.

20% of Sacramento's population lives below the poverty line.
In San Francisco it's 11.8%.

Rancho Cordova isn't much better at 17%...
Of course, if you live in Anatloia (95742) it's barely over 2%.

It really just depends. Virginia Beach living below the poverty line. Atlanta and Long Beach are both above 20%. Detroit is at a whopping 36%. That's not exactly apples to apples. You don't even have to be remotely near the poverty line to be a welfare mooch, eg Sacramento's use of "low-income" housing funds to build welfare apartments for singles making $30-40k/year.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:21 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
I want to move, I *want* to move. But, having to pay child support, I just can't quit my job and move elsewhere and the economy is horrible...
Please set up a paypal account so I can contribute to your moving out fund. I will also personally help you pack your bags and drive you to the airport.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:21 AM

290 posts, read 544,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Since incorporation, Rancho Cordova has improved considerably.
Exactly. Rancho Cordova really took a hit when mather closed. They are working hard to revamp the area since incorporating. In fact, they are now one of the most attractive cities for private companies and business in general.( Do you all ever notice that a majority of new people moving to Sacramento got a job in Rancho) Their books are well balanced (versus Folsom), they are aggressively revamping old areas along Folsom and reducing blighted areas. The area south of sunrise which they refer to as new rancho is attracting a lot of higher income residents. They are just severely lacking good retail, entertainment, dining etc. That should come over time especially in the new rancho area. As other's mentioned about large companies sparking growth, I think that's one thing hampering Rancho from taking off. They don't have that big catch like Intel or Apple. Folsom really took off after Intel came into town.

Quote:
I don't get all the positive Elk Grove comments. The place is a dump. So is Rancho.

Folsom, Roseville and EDH are OK, but the rest of the metro area, with small pockets here and there, is a dump compared to other similar sized cities in the interior of the country. When 1 out of 4 houses is owned by slumlords and given California's huge population of welfare moochers, all I see are gangbangers and wannabees in this metro area. Its terribly depressing.
You have an odd perception of the area. I agree that there are areas of Elk Grove and Rancho that are still shabby but not everywhere, and saying Folsom or EDH is just ok? Where are you from? La Jolla, Palm beach? What are you basing your comparisons against? Also there are areas of roseville that are pretty blighted and trashy. There are areas of Folsom that are blighted and trashy. (Go down glenn past bidwell).

I think your bad past experiences living in a not so great area of Rancho has made you a little bitter about the area. That's understandable because I see some of the blight you are referring to. That still doesn't mean other areas aren't improving. New Rancho specifically has a lot of potential.

From the following article regarding new rancho.

A place to raise a family

Yet Sunrise Douglas has factors going for it that other communities might envy.
The median household income is roughly $93,000, much higher than the Sacramento County median of about $56,000, census figures show. The poverty rate in the community is less than 2 percent.

About 85 percent of residents live in homes they own.

Many are professionals, including state workers, engineers, teachers, nurses, police officers and managers at high-tech firms. About 46 percent of adults in Sunrise Douglas have a bachelor's degree, compared to 28 percent of adults countywide, census figures show.

It's a diverse community, with whites making up about 43 percent of the population, Asians 32 percent and Latinos 12 percent.

And it's a place where families go to raise children: The median age in the area is 31 compared to a county average of 35. About 28 percent of Sunrise Douglas residents are children under 15, compared to 21 percent of residents countywide.

Last edited by webdev; 07-21-2013 at 02:07 AM..

Old 07-21-2013, 11:00 AM

137 posts, read 344,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terranova View Post
Sure a fixed income will go further in the Sac area than LA, SF or SD, but there are still plenty of welfare recipients living in these expensive California cities, no? And there are plenty of rural areas in Cali where the rents are even cheaper than metro Sacramento. So is there any reason to believe that Bluevelo is suffering more Socio-economic blight per capita than other similar sized cities?
Sure, there are poor folks everywhere in California, and everywhere in the US. Rural areas may have cheaper rent but they come with their own sets of problems; better to live in the city where you can get by without a car, food costs less, and there are opportunities for work if you can work, opportunities for kids if you have them, etc.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to believe that Sacramento has a worse economy than comparable cities. People can always find a reason to believe whatever they already believe. Define "comparable city," define "worse economy," go to Google and ignore any results you don't like. Heck, you could even use this method to show that Sacramento has the best weather in the country if you were so inclined! Ahem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You don't even have to be remotely near the poverty line to be a welfare mooch, eg Sacramento's use of "low-income" housing funds to build welfare apartments for singles making $30-40k/year.
What apartments are these, exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdev View Post
It's a diverse community, with whites making up about 43 percent of the population, Asians 32 percent and Latinos 12 percent.
For a city immediately next door to Sacramento, that's not particularly diverse.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:28 PM

290 posts, read 544,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacramentoBound View Post
For a city immediately next door to Sacramento, that's not particularly diverse.
Those weren't my words, that was from the article. I think they were saying Rancho is diverse in regards to the mix of ethinicities. Granted you can say that about Sacramento in general. Rancho did win an All American City award in 2010
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento