Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times

Advertisements

OK..here's the skinny....Call it an early midlife crisis or simply yearning to relocate. EArly 40's single female administrative professional that works in the financial industry. Been in Charlotte, since I came back home from college. Worked in broadcast news before I transitioned out and found a job in the financial industry. I do know that I want to move west and start fresh. Debt free and bills paid up...my current home is on the market(waiting to sell) however Im a little concerned. I focused my search on the Phoenix area at first due to the cost of living, affordability of next home, etc. however Im noticing on the job search, the pay seems to be a little less than where Im coming from. I've traveled to PHoenix and its a beautiful city, but would I be able to make there. I now starting to focus my search on Sacramento... only because it seems like there are more job opportunities with better pay. I am fully aware about the cost of living. Again...Would I be able to make in Sacramento?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 10:30 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,295 times
The job market in Sac is not very good but not hopeless if you are in the right field. If I was from out of state, I wouldn't move here unless I already have a job waiting. You can come for a long visit (like a month or two) and give it a shot to see if you like the area and see how the job market is for you.

As for housing market, despite a buyer's market, it's still a very competitive market. The more affordable houses are mainly short sales and forclosed homes but they are few on the market ATM. Seems like banks are holding onto them and controlling what is flowing into the market. My sister has had no luck in her search for an affordable home in a decent neighborhood. She keeps getting outbid by Investors willing to pay CASH. If you can pay cash, you will have an easier time than my sister. My brother and I had that same problem in 2010 when we were both looking to buy and going up against investors. Good thing, there were more inventory to pick back then and we each eventually was able to get our homes.

Last edited by calnbs; 08-27-2012 at 10:39 AM..

Old 08-27-2012, 01:38 PM

409 posts, read 956,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
OK..here's the skinny....Call it an early midlife crisis or simply yearning to relocate. EArly 40's single female administrative professional that works in the financial industry. Been in Charlotte, since I came back home from college. Worked in broadcast news before I transitioned out and found a job in the financial industry. I do know that I want to move west and start fresh. Debt free and bills paid up...my current home is on the market(waiting to sell) however Im a little concerned. I focused my search on the Phoenix area at first due to the cost of living, affordability of next home, etc. however Im noticing on the job search, the pay seems to be a little less than where Im coming from. I've traveled to PHoenix and its a beautiful city, but would I be able to make there. I now starting to focus my search on Sacramento... only because it seems like there are more job opportunities with better pay. I am fully aware about the cost of living. Again...Would I be able to make in Sacramento?
Hi,

You might get more responses if you provide a few details...

Budget for rent/buying?

Quality of life activities (i.e dining, shopping, outdoor recreation, etc)?

If you're unsure about the salary you can try the below link...
PayScale - Sacramento, California City Salary, Average Salaries

Old 08-27-2012, 04:31 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
The job market in Sac is not very good but not hopeless if you are in the right field. If I was from out of state, I wouldn't move here unless I already have a job waiting. You can come for a long visit (like a month or two) and give it a shot to see if you like the area and see how the job market is for you.

As for housing market, despite a buyer's market, it's still a very competitive market. The more affordable houses are mainly short sales and forclosed homes but they are few on the market ATM. Seems like banks are holding onto them and controlling what is flowing into the market. My sister has had no luck in her search for an affordable home in a decent neighborhood. She keeps getting outbid by Investors willing to pay CASH. If you can pay cash, you will have an easier time than my sister. My brother and I had that same problem in 2010 when we were both looking to buy and going up against investors. Good thing, there were more inventory to pick back then and we each eventually was able to get our homes.
Really? Are you defining a decent neighborhood as a convenient one? Because I can tell you that in the less accessible places in the north burbs, from Antelope to Lincoln, there are still plenty of vacant homes that are going begging for buyers. Roseville schools are good and they are pleasant places, save for a not good commute to downtown or Rancho Cordova if that is where you work.

Then again, she is a single lady and probably doesn't need to care about the schools so much, but the point is there are nice (pleasant, crime free or minimal) neighborhoods with plenty of foreclosed and vacant homes waiting to be lived in.

If you are defining a decent neighborhood as a hipster one for singles, then yes, Antelope-Roseville-Lincoln is not that.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:14 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Foreclosed, vacant homes is a lot different than available. Apparently, you haven't heard, but the more affordable homes in all communities are being bought for cash by investors. The inventory is very low, and many people have been waiting for months. Eventually they find out that IF they want a home, they have to offer at or above asking price, and may still get into price wars with other buyers.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u225615 View Post
Hi,

You might get more responses if you provide a few details...

Budget for rent/buying?

Quality of life activities (i.e dining, shopping, outdoor recreation, etc)?

If you're unsure about the salary you can try the below link...
PayScale - Sacramento, California City Salary, Average Salaries
I am an an Executive Assistant for one of the major banks. I have been in banking for about 7 years. Worked in Broadcast news for 10 years doing graphics. Dining/Shopping/Occasional nightlife...Early 40's here..but i still like to go out from time 2 time. Current salary now is between $50,000-$60,000.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:05 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I am an an Executive Assistant for one of the major banks. I have been in banking for about 7 years. Worked in Broadcast news for 10 years doing graphics. Dining/Shopping/Occasional nightlife...Early 40's here..but i still like to go out from time 2 time. Current salary now is between $50,000-$60,000.
That's barely enough to live on here decently as a single person. I would stay where you are. Taxes will be lower, cost of living is lower, houses are a LOT cheaper.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:17 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
What is it about Sacramento that is making you indecisive? In terms of the overall general economy, right now I would say the economy in Phoenix still seems stronger than the economy in Sacramento. The local unemployment rate in Sacramento while dropping is still 10.8% vs 7.5% in Phoenix. The local unemployment rate in Sacramento is still high enough where I wouldn't move here without having a local job lined up first.

Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, CA Economy at a Glance
Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ Economy at a Glance

That said, I think if you were single making $50K+ a year in Sacramento, you should have no problem finding a nice place to live in a neighborhood that you feel totally safe in while still managing to save money for retirement and having money for eating out and having fun.

The big advantage that I see Sacramento having over Phoenix is that the summers are just a lot less unpleasant. Phx is going to be much hotter in the summer time for a much longer portion of the year. Notice two things about these graphs. First the average high temperature in Phx is going to be about 10 degrees hotter in the summer time, but second notice that the average low temperature is going to be about 20 degrees cooler at night than its going to be in Phx. Even when Sacramento goes through heat waves, it cools off a lot more quickly at night and stays cooler longer in the morning. In Sacramento when the high temperature is 91 degrees at 4pm during the summer time, by 7 pm its probably down to the mid 70's before cooling off to about 59 or 60 at 6 am and it might not break 80 degrees until 11 am. What this means is that if you want to go play tennis or go for a run after work or in the morning when you wake up, its still pleasant to be outside during the summer time. Whereas in Phx during the summer time it can be so hot, you need to run stay in an air conditioned environment all day long.

Climate in Phoenix, Arizona
Climate in Sacramento, California

The two big advantages that I see Phx having over Sacramento is that first the cost of living is cheaper in Phx. Of the friends I know who moved from Sacramento to Phx they talked about getting a much bigger home in a better neighborhood than what they were paying to live in the Sacramento region. Second Phx metropolitian area is just a much bigger area with deeper labor markets and depending on your interests may offer more stuff to do. This region is about 1/3 the size of Phx. The local Sacramento regional economy is still mostly driven by government. So you probably have less firms to find work in Sacramento vs Phx and your career ladder might not go as high in Sacramento vs Phx. For professional sports outside of basketball generally you are going to be driving in the Bay Area to see a game. If you aren't a big sports fan, that may be no loss, but if you are it might be relevant.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
That's barely enough to live on here decently as a single person. I would stay where you are. Taxes will be lower, cost of living is lower, houses are a LOT cheaper.

Excuse me..but it's Charlotte...I mean no offense...but it's my hometown......Im ready to move on. I currently have my house on the market trying unsuccessfully to sell. I'm over it all ready... I thought I would be more attached to the house since i've had it for 10 years...but not really.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:53 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
I'd imagine most of the folks on this forum have never been to Charlotte, and thus may not realize why you want to move on--what is it about Charlotte that you're ready to get away from? Any aspects in particular, or just not wanting to stay in your old hometown? What sort of things do you want to find elsewhere? That might help inform your decision as to whether Sacramento is right for you.

And yes, as a single person, if you are making an income of $50-60K in Sacramento you'll do okay--average income is about $53K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento