Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:48 AM

5 posts, read 9,730 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning to move back to California after living in Portland, OR for 6 years. I am thinking the Sacremento area for the job opportunities in my field. I am thinking probably the east side, like Rocklin/Roseville/Folsom.

My question is this: I keep hearing that people in Sacramento are unfriendly. Is this really true? What are your experiences?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 12:52 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,307,020 times
If you look at what makes people seem unfriendly its usually people trying to not make eye contact either with panhandlers trying to shake them down for change or in neighborhoods where they feel unsafe and don't want to create a confrontation with the local hoodrats. But neither of those scenarios should be much of a problem in Rocklin, Roseville or Folsom.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:57 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,980 times
the dream of the 90's is alive in Portland, portland... (key of A). Portlands nice but it sounds like the money is better here. Money is my friend.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:27 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
If you grew up in Chico you shouldn't find Sacramento's eastern suburbs that much of a culture shock, in terms of climate or the friendliness of its people. The region's job market is pretty decentralized but a lot of the legal and design firms are closer to downtown Sacramento, which, if you're used to Portland, shouldn't be all that intimidating.

And, for what it's worth, the dream of the 90s is alive in Midtown Sacramento too...whenever I watch "Portlandia" it reminds me of here, just with different trees.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:02 PM

409 posts, read 957,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGirlcominghome1 View Post
Hello,

I am planning to move back to California after living in Portland, OR for 6 years. I am thinking the Sacremento area for the job opportunities in my field. I am thinking probably the east side, like Rocklin/Roseville/Folsom.

My question is this: I keep hearing that people in Sacramento are unfriendly. Is this really true? What are your experiences?

Thank you.
I'll assume by unfriendly you are referring to how people converse with one another, or how easy it is to strike up a conversation, or the body language they display, how they drive on the roadway, or how polite they are?

If that's the case I've been to cities that are worse as well as better.

As far as the specific areas you mentioned Rocklin/Roseville/Folsom...If you fit the socioeconomic profile in Roseville you should have no problem.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:14 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,565 times
Very hard to give useful information or to generalize across whole metro areas. I find both places to be pretty dang friendly myself, but Sac is different from Folsom is different from Roseville, just like Portland is different from Beaverton is different from Troutdale. Some people do move out the suburbs for a reason, and while not unfriendly, they may be a little more established. I doubt this is different from suburban Portland though, and I don't you're expecting to find the Pearl District in Roseville

Old 09-04-2012, 06:22 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
If you are friendly, then people will respond to your friendliness. If you wait for others to extend their hand first, then you may be waiting awhile. Overall, Sacramento is friendly, but you're going to find your friends amongst groups of people who have the same interests you do.

As for the job...What type of job are you looking for? do you know if that type of job is even available in your target areas?

Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
If you are friendly, then people will respond to your friendliness.
I have found this to be completely true. I've had very little exposure to people that weren't friendly here, barring a couple of home-schooling parents/kids that I found weren't willing to talk to anyone not in their group.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:13 PM

90 posts, read 201,479 times
I think I might know what you are talking about. I was raised in a small community north of Sacramento and then moved to the Bay Area then to Sac. Growing up my neighbors always looked out for one another, everybody waived at everybody and there was always a get together or party at someone's house. When I moved to the Bay, I would wave and smile at people or try to chat with them and they looked at me like I had an extra eyeball in the middle of my forehead. Sac was better, but the people still aren't overly chatty and don't invite you over. That doesn't mean they aren't nice, just that they aren't as trusting. Once you build the trust, I find they are just as friendly.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:48 AM

210 posts, read 269,326 times
I'm in Roseville and it is a very friendly place in my experience. It's one of the reasons in choosing to live here as opposed to Sacramento proper.

The community seems upbeat, there are always little events going on and the town itself is kept pretty clean. There isn't really any "bad" neighborhoods that I've seen so far. Plus everyone loves the Dancing Man (Dancing Fever)! Rocklin is very similar as well from what I've seen, but don't spend a lot of time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento