Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 06:26 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,260,698 times

Advertisements

The problem with these types of arguments is cherry picking. While you pointed to a 4310 sqft home built in 2000 for $399,500 in Cornerville Tennessee, I can return with a newer (2007) much bigger 5,586 sqft home in the Rancho Cordova for $415,000. So by moving out from Cornerville Tennessee I arguably could get almost a much bigger home for almost the same amount of money. So is the cost of living really that much more expensive or less expensive to live in the Sacramento region vs the Cornerville Tenn. region?

11837 Blushing Cir, Rancho Cordova, CA 95742 | MLS# 12055212

Its very difficult to compare homes in two different areas without knowing how the areas compare with respect to neighborhood quality, local school quality, climate and local employment rates. When you move back and forth between two areas you have a pretty good idea of the difference in the cost of living in two areas, but unless you have lived in both areas its much more difficult to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 06:30 PM

210 posts, read 268,055 times
Yeah the area really does make the difference and makes it hard to compare accurately. Even in suburbs like Roseville, which have had a reputation for "wealthy" or at least "upper class", you can find homes that value up near the $1mil mark and homes as low as the mid-to-low $100k. I am not familiar with East Coast prices, but I'd imagine you can find price ranges like that almost anywhere.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:48 PM

39 posts, read 67,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
... but unless you have lived in both areas its much more difficult to say.
I understand that, which is why I can say. Been there done that in both places. No regrets at all. Now I just have to wait for the market in Carmichael to turn so I can sell the house there. It's paid off so no rush other than ins, taxes and upkeep.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:43 PM

409 posts, read 953,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Tn View Post
It appears the Sacramento property is an active short sale while the NC property is not. Is that really a fair comparison? The question posed by the OP is really open ended due to so many variables, so perhaps comparing two properties where the actual living space is similar would be helpful. By comparing the asking prices you can get a feel for what you get for your money, which was the basic question, and I don't believe the OP had any intention of restricting the answer to area's which are similar to Sacramento.

Here is an active listing in Sacramento; http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...474?source=web

Here is an active listing in Tn; http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...698?source=web

While comparing these note the 5 acres that comes along with the drastic reduction in price on the Tn property. Figure in no State income tax, much cheaper utilities, cheaper gasoline and food and the choice is obvious.
Very nice curb appeal. For those with a budget that could buy in East Sac or Landpark the above house is within reach. However, for those with a more limited budget it appears the housing is more modest albeit with the possibility of a larger lot or acreage.

104 Bicentennial Dr, Cornersville, TN 37047 MLS# 1354063 - Zillow

3615 COFFEY BRANCH RD, CORNERSVILLE, TN Property Listing - ZipRealty

Old 09-13-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u225615 View Post
Very nice curb appeal. For those with a budget that could buy in East Sac or Landpark the above house is within reach. However, for those with a more limited budget it appears the housing is more modest albeit with the possibility of a larger lot or acreage.

104 Bicentennial Dr, Cornersville, TN 37047 MLS# 1354063 - Zillow

3615 COFFEY BRANCH RD, CORNERSVILLE, TN Property Listing - ZipRealty
As far as "modest" housing, the home below comes with 380 acres and is located in a community 8 miles from Cornersville. It compares with anything Granite Bay and like communities have to offer. Not everyone lives in "modest" housing back here, as a matter of fact dollars from NYC and other metro area's are flowing into the area in the form of second/getaway homes. We can play the pick a listing game all day, let's just agree that most communities have good and bad neighborhoods and you get what you pay for in most cases.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...7&cmid=1077368

Old 09-13-2012, 10:40 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,260,698 times
Quote:
I understand that, which is why I can say. Been there done that in both places. No regrets at all. Now I just have to wait for the market in Carmichael to turn so I can sell the house there. It's paid off so no rush other than ins, taxes and upkeep.
Good luck with the move. I am sure you will really enjoy Tennessee.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
Good luck with the move. I am sure you will really enjoy Tennessee.
Thanks, right now I'm splitting time between the States. We actually were in California during a Tn heat wave and went to Tn just as the heat was hitting California, it wasn't planned but it worked out ok for us.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,788,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coughlan616 View Post
You could have moved to very cheap Louisville KY area from SF and saved even more money if you know how to budget right, then have a lot leftover, earn enough savings and be pretty damn comfortable, but most of these people don't even know basics like that.
I can't imagine why someone who loves living in California would even be interested in moving to KY. I sure wouldn't. I've never made a decision on where to live based on the "cheapness" of housing, food, etc. It is a factor I consider in the overall picture, but never a major decision point. I'm blessed to have a "I can work anywhere" type of job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coughlan616 View Post
Theres nothing wrong with owning a home, but in SF and top places in CA, they were to be had cheap.. Many own homes from when it was better there, they stayed and now they have something to leave their kids.. Thats how to do it. What will you have to leave your kids or whoever else that wanted to get too much space and pay 300,000 + for a house with an even higher mortgage than before. Many of the new homes are shotty too, they look cookie cutter and stale.. not like the old neighborhoods. To me even 200,000 is too much to pay for a house. I will rent a room in a house before I do that and I'd be fine with it.
I certainly don't expect my parents to leave their house to me. Perhaps in my younger, selfish days when I wanted handouts, but not now. I'd rather see them spend their money on things that bring them happiness, or to provide the best healthcare in their golden years. I do value their teaching me how to build wealth and manage my money. It certainly does help to have chosen a great career that has enabled me to live just about anywhere.

BTW, I hate being a renter, and what's even worse, is being a renting roommate - Yuk!!

AND, I LOVE my cookie cutter newer home in the Folsom suburbs. I love that it has relatively low maintenance, and that it is the perfect size for my family, and so what if I paid more than someone else is comfortable paying...I can afford it!

Old 09-14-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
As far as "modest" housing, the home below comes with 380 acres and is located in a community 8 miles from Cornersville. It compares with anything Granite Bay and like communities have to offer. Not everyone lives in "modest" housing back here, as a matter of fact dollars from NYC and other metro area's are flowing into the area in the form of second/getaway homes. We can play the pick a listing game all day, let's just agree that most communities have good and bad neighborhoods and you get what you pay for in most cases.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...7&cmid=1077368
Just to be clear the modest housing I was referring to was in line with the average home price in Sacramento. OTOH, A 3 million dollar home budget as illustrated by your example will buy quite a beautiful home in many (not all) but many parts of the country including California (minus the acreage).

I'm happy that you found your piece of Shangri La in TN.

Last edited by u225615; 09-14-2012 at 02:05 AM.. Reason: *

Old 09-14-2012, 01:01 AM

Continuing on the fatally flawed tour of homes...here's one in Baltimore. Wish it had pics of the interior. Love the wordwork and period detail in some of these older homes.

905 WOODBOURNE AVE, BALTIMORE, MD Property Listing - For Sale - MLS# BA7924962 - ZipRealty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento