Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 05:35 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times

Advertisements

What airport is the facility near? If its at Sacramento International Airport it might pay you to look at the towns just upstream of Sacramento like Knights Landing. As you drive further away from Sacramento housing prices levels drop. While you can face some congestion driving through Sacramento's urbanized areas, the areas north of the Airport are mostly agricultural. You also might want to look at the some of the areas on the west bank of the Sacramento River and including West Sac but I would look down to at least Clarksburg.

If the air traffic control facility is at either Mather or McClellan Field, I would probably have a different set of recommendations.

If that doesn't work you might also want to consider the dry dock at Walnut Creek. I have friend who keeps his boat there. Basically you call ahead while you are driving over there and before you arrive, the boat is put in the river, after you leave, they put the boat back in the dry dock. Its fairly inexpensive.

http://www.walnutgrovemarina.com/html/about.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 09:08 PM

27 posts, read 81,170 times
Facility is outside of Mather.

Walnut creek looks incredible.... THAT is a great option!

Old 09-13-2012, 09:38 PM

Its actually Walnut Grove, but its a really cool facility.

If you are at Mather, you have a couple of options. First you are fairly close to both Folsom Lake and Lake Natomas.

You might want to spend some time checking out the options at the CSUS aquatic center before dismissing Lake Natomas. While Lake Natoma a smaller lake but because of the aquatic center it has a surprising number of water related activities going on at that lake.

Sac State Aquatic Center

Its seems like you have some familiarity with Folsom.

But another option to look at if you can't get slip in Folsom is Lake Comanche Marina. As I recall the Air Traffic Facility is toward the South East Section of the former Air Force Base. If you look for housing south east of the base in say Rancho Murieta or Ione, you are pretty close to Lake Comanche. My understanding is the Marina at Lake Comanche doesn't close as early as the marina at Folsom. In terms of distance Lake Comanche seems fairly far where you work, but in terms of traffic, you are basically driving fairly scenic back country roads. Depending on where you end up living, it may be faster to get to Comanche than say some place along the Sacramento River with a dock.

Boating & Marinas

Berth Rental Rates

Old 09-14-2012, 01:38 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozensurfer View Post
I would prefer a house like shelato posted. Sadly I have looked at that house, and it's got some major issues...
Like fugly, and in MAJOR need of an overhaul.

Perhaps you should find yourself a good realtor, and have them look for you.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:11 AM

27 posts, read 81,170 times
Now would be the time to also mention. I have my real estate license. I will be representing myself. I'm ok with fugly, it gives me something to improve on. What I'm not okay with is structural issues. This home has them.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:42 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
^^^Smart. Cosmetic - OK. Structure - expensive!

Old 09-14-2012, 06:40 PM

While a budget in the Sacramento region of up to 600K will give you in general pretty good options in most neighborhoods in the Sacramento region, a budget of 600K is actually pretty small for something that is not only on a river but on the river with a dock for a boat. So that probably means driving further from the region until housing prices drop enough for you to get something you like and can afford. The other issue is the commute. If you were were working out of Sac International Airport then going North along the Garden highway until you found a house that looked nice that you could afford or going south of West Sac on the West Bank of the Sacramento River still was a viable strategy, because the commute still was pretty feasible to Sac International Airport. But to get from those locations out Mather means driving through some of the worst traffic in the region, which I don't recommend. While the American River is pretty close to Rancho Cordova, and it even has some homes that front the American River, those homes don't have docks and there isn't a Marina.

While there is a Marina at Folsom, that Marina is oversubscribed and because Sacramento is at a high risk for flooding, Folsom is kept unusually low to provide additional flood protection so, the season the boats can be store and used at the Folsom Marina is pretty limited. That is why I am thinking that Comanche is likely your best option if you want to live somewhere near a Marina. The commute from Mather to Ione is doable and the commute from Ione to Comanche is also pretty feasible. Lastly housing price levels drop as you get further from the Sacramento region so your housing dollar should go a lot further in Ione.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento