U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2012, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Carmichael, CA
2,258 posts, read 4,056,362 times
Reputation: 4037

Advertisements

Per today's Sacramento Bee, VSP put 100 jobs "on hold" because of a dispute with the state of California. The California Health Exchange (I'm not sure of the exact name) that was designed to change the healthcare to meet the standards of the Affordable Care Act, has ruled that VSP can only sell insurance to companies and they have to stop selling insurance to individuals. As that was a chunk of their business, that's going to hurt.

They're also still hinting that they may just move out of California.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2012, 01:37 AM
 
290 posts, read 516,453 times
Reputation: 198
Just wonderful. California needs to get its act in gear.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2012, 07:25 AM
 
8,631 posts, read 16,426,144 times
Reputation: 4532
If this health exchange is part of a federal mandate, won't they face the same thing in other states as state health exchanges are implemented? Wouldn't California's early adoption of those nationwide changes serve as an advantage to businesses who wanted to best adapt to the new regulations, vs. moving to other states where the same changes will go into effect later?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,594 posts, read 35,643,469 times
Reputation: 29295
Other states may exercise the "opt out" provisions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM
 
1,321 posts, read 2,515,717 times
Reputation: 808
A little misleading. They're delaying the hiring of additional staff, not firing anyone. And they may move if the law in effect makes their business model redundant, which is not particularly surprising. Of course, it is good to remember that laws and regulations do affect businesses and the people that work there, but caving to what amounts to extortion by local businesses does not always lead to best outcomes. I haven't followed closely enough to know whether VSP's hopeful outcome will be better or worse that what the State has proposed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 11:00 AM
 
66 posts, read 111,981 times
Reputation: 49
Definitely a sign of the times here in Sacramento. VSP, along with Waste Connections, Campbell's soup, etc are all either contracting or moving operations elsewhere. What most businesses won't tell you is that it's simply not a business-friendly environment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 12:32 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,594 posts, read 35,643,469 times
Reputation: 29295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacoftomatoes View Post
Definitely a sign of the times here in Sacramento. VSP, along with Waste Connections, Campbell's soup, etc are all either contracting or moving operations elsewhere. What most businesses won't tell you is that it's simply not a business-friendly environment.
And with Campbell's soup closing, you may have to change your sign-in name. Good thing they didn't paint the water tower red. Sacratomato is no more!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM
 
3,853 posts, read 2,742,865 times
Reputation: 6030
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
If this health exchange is part of a federal mandate, won't they face the same thing in other states as state health exchanges are implemented? Wouldn't California's early adoption of those nationwide changes serve as an advantage to businesses who wanted to best adapt to the new regulations, vs. moving to other states where the same changes will go into effect later?
To participate in the health exchanges, a program must be designated as a qualified health plan. At the moment VSP is having problems getting designated as a qualified health plan in California for the purposes of these health exchanges. Under Obamacare health insurance isn't portable across state lines. (Being designated as a qualified health plan in Nevada doesn't mean that you are designated as a qualified Health Plan in California). One needs to get approval for each state's health exchange.

What VSP is basically saying to the legislature is why should we keep our headquarters in a state where we haven't been designated as a qualified health provider, when there are other states who seem to be more willing been to designate VSP as a qualified health provider even though VSP isn't headquartered there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2012, 03:23 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,594 posts, read 35,643,469 times
Reputation: 29295
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
To participate in the health exchanges, a program must be designated as a qualified health plan. At the moment VSP is having problems getting designated as a qualified health plan in California for the purposes of these health exchanges. Under Obamacare health insurance isn't portable across state lines. (Being designated as a qualified health plan in Nevada doesn't mean that you are designated as a qualified Health Plan in California). One needs to get approval for each state's health exchange.

What VSP is basically saying to the legislature is why should we keep our headquarters in a state where we haven't been designated as a qualified health provider, when there are other states who seem to be more willing been to designate VSP as a qualified health provider even though VSP isn't headquartered there.
And VSP would be quite right. California's voluminous laws and multitudinous regulations strike again!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2012, 03:34 PM
 
3,853 posts, read 2,742,865 times
Reputation: 6030
Its very difficult to change an industry as large as the health care industry as much as Obamacare did without creating really large unintended consequence type problems. The people pushing Obamacare were very bright and for the most part well intended, but they needed to make lots of deals to get the program through congress. Second, the Obama administration has done an absolutely awful job of explaining this legislation. Its rare for even his most fervent supporters to actually understand what is included in this legislation. As a result this legislation has never been well vetted. I hope for the sake of people who are sick and need to see a doctor that it turns out well, but I have my doubts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:27 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top