Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:01 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,305,056 times

Advertisements

IH8CA

I have deduced that you really don't care for either Sacramento or California in general, did you just recently move here? What were some of the places that you liked better than Sacramento and if you liked them better why did you decide to move here despite your love for these other places? I am assuming that you didn't move here for the strong local economy, so what did make you move here and what keeps you here despite not really liking it very much?

Old 10-21-2012, 11:20 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
By all means make sure you hang out with people that are as much like you as possible. That way you can all agree about slinging crap at someone who isn't like you.

It's become very important in this country, to make sure you denigrate anyone who isn't like you.

Then comes that awful moment when someone not like you moves in and you actually find they are nice human beings and you have to start saying things like "all _______ are the same except the guy who lives near me".

Horrible.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:16 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abercrombiedudelosangeles View Post
hi guys i just finally moved to sacramento for a job and it's been an eye opener, i've gone to explore the area surrounding sacramento, ie. roseville, folsom etc and it looks like these areas are populated by so many rednexxx. Is this a known fact? or was it just sampling error? i went to some of the stores in roseville, safeway, walmart etc to and the people that work there were simple peasants, i wanted to buy a fastpass tag and nobody there knew what it was??
And the people in the stores were racist rednexxx too, i saw an old rednexxx dude push his shopping cart against this non-white family and didn't even apologize... damn i didn't know the areas surrounding sac was inbred rednexxx kountry! you never know i guess.. even though they have a nice mall with LV, whole foods etc...
What you are seeing here, is NOTHING compared to the rural communities of California where "country" or what you call redneck, is a way of life. Go visit any of the smaller communities in Central California where the descendants of the Oakies and Arkies still live...you know those who came to California after the dust bowl to do any kind of work that was available, quite unlike the spoiled populace now... Go visit Bakersfield, Earlimart, Delano, Tulare, Corcoran, Orosi, Visalia, Exeter, Chowchilla, Turlock....

Old 10-21-2012, 04:25 PM

154 posts, read 691,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Roseville grew up very fast very recently. 20-25 years ago I was installing alarms in houses under construction in what is now Granite Bay or thereabouts, which had pretty much been rolling foothills before that. There wasn't actually a city boundary established between Roseville and Rocklin until suburban expansion required it because the two cities were about to physically collide their development into each other.
Any other old timers out there remember when Roseville car dealers used to advertise themselves as "low-overhead Roseville" on their late-night TV commercials back in the '70s? That's because Auto Row was just about the only thing out there! I smile every time I drive by the semi-depopulated mega malls; maybe they shoulda stuck with Auto Row.

Wburg I keep trying to send you love via rep points but the system insists I must be more promiscuous!

Old 10-21-2012, 05:21 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
I have owned 4 cars, 3 of which I bought on Riverside's auto row in Roseville! Good place for cheap wheels.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:11 PM

505 posts, read 1,664,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abercrombiedudelosangeles View Post
lol who u callin a troll Majin beetch? i've been asking stuff about sac since months ago, ask wburg, and now giving an impression of the villages around sac since i've moved here, so ShutTFU fool!

but good discussion guys, another observation i have is that these peasants here can't fukkin drive!! not just roseville but sac too, people can't merge here!! they're confused, don't know whether to speed up or slow down
wburg you didn't tell me about these hillbillies before i moved
This is why I am all for age restrictions on forums. You have to be at least 18 years old or have the mental capacity of one, or at least get to a 10th grade reading and writing level to post on forums that require such basics to have a thorough discussion.

I am Asian and I moved to the Lincoln-Roseville area 4 years ago. Unless you actually live here, participate in the community, or commute daily and interact with people daily, you simply are not qualified to make any judgments on anyone. So you've lived in Los Angeles and Sacramento. I'm assuming you don't live in an area with many Caucasian people. Otherwise, you probably wouldn't be writing the way you write. And just because you "drove through" and see more whites in an area, it doesn't mean that they are "rednexx" - whatever that's supposed to be.

The Roseville, Rocklin, Lincoln, Folsom, Granite Bay, El Dorado Hills areas are predominantly white Caucasian. Yes. They are upper middle class, higher income, fairly conservative, very family oriented places. All that is true, but these are all values almost every race hopes to achieve - not just Caucasians. It just so happens that Caucasians can attain it more so quickly than other races.

Are you going to tell me that if you have a $100k a year job, have two kids, you'd still want to live in East L.A., or Sacramento? Heck no, you'll be the first to move into a nice neighborhood that has a great school for your kids. And so do the rest of us. It's not about race, it's about having the best for you and your family.

I was born and raised in the San Jose/Bay Area and I remember a time when it was the snotty upper class Caucasians (as you would have put it) that ruled the area. The best schools were in the predominantly "white" areas. But over time, things change and the best schools were no longer about race, but about income. The Evergreen area in San Jose has the absolute best schools, but its minimum home price is in the upper $800,000's now. So the Evergreen area are now made up with mostly Asians, Indian, some Latinos and very few Caucasians today.

And guess what, the Asians, Indians, Latinos and Caucasians in this area are upper middle class, higher income, fairly conservative, very family oriented too. Are they all "rednexx" too? Because they hold those same values and worked their butts off to get away from the bad schools, the weekly drive-by crime-ridden neighborhoods, just to make enough to get into a nice area to create a good future for their kids? I know I did.

Judge people by their actions, not by their skin color or class. You'd be very surprised how much you can find out about someone if you actually talk to them instead of throwing out misconceptions because they are not of your race.

There is racism in anything if you look hard enough, but most of us aren't the ones constantly looking. Case in point - one of my coworkers saw that I drove a nice car and said "That's a very nice car. I'm glad you did well for yourself. Very few Asians I know could afford this."

I was somewhat offended, but I quickly told him so and he turned completely red and was so embarrassed and kept apologizing on how it was a slip and he did not mean it. I knew he was sincere since he kept going on and on about it, and even til this day he's still embarrassed about it. My point being, is that you don't judge someone without any interaction because you really don't know anyone - especially if they were just pushing a cart through a supermarket.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:56 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
This is why I am all for age restrictions on forums. You have to be at least 18 years old or have the mental capacity of one, or at least get to a 10th grade reading and writing level to post on forums that require such basics to have a thorough discussion.
Maybe C-D could add one of those spam blockers that make you do a simple math problem like "17 + 9 = ?", before posting or submitting?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:03 AM

210 posts, read 269,269 times
Lots of jealousy and sweeping generalizations going on in this thread. I understand Roseville and some of the area is expensive to live in. But if you can't afford the area or simply don't like it, just don't move there.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:34 AM

39 posts, read 67,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrubin View Post
Any other old timers out there remember when Roseville car dealers used to advertise themselves as "low-overhead Roseville" on their late-night TV commercials back in the '70s? That's because Auto Row was just about the only thing out there! I smile every time I drive by the semi-depopulated mega malls; maybe they shoulda stuck with Auto Row.

Wburg I keep trying to send you love via rep points but the system insists I must be more promiscuous!
I remember driving out to Camp Far West around 1980 or so and seeing a huge sign along Hwy 65 reading, "Coming soon Stanford Ranch". I thought to myself, "Who would want to live way out here?". Wow, if I had only bought 5 or 10 acres. Oh well, shoulda, coulda woulda. The question is, what is todays Rocklin of 30+ years ago? It's out there somewhere.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:12 PM

409 posts, read 957,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8CA View Post
I may not be the most fond of certain types of people but I wouldn't just ram my cart into anyone without apologizing. That is pure stupidity right there. In fact I learned a thing or 2 since being out in CA.. I might as well be a Latino American to many of these Anglo Saxons out here despite the fact I don't know much spanish and I come from another part of this country. I see most whites here as uncultured slobs with no manners.. no real social manners at all. If someone like me calls someone out, they get bewildered like they seen nothing like it. I will yell out the window at people too if someones a real danger on the road. I give it to the bastards.
I thought that was a consequence of Roseville and the like having a significant population of transplants from other uber urban areas of CA like LA/OC or the SF Bay Area. For example, shopping at the downtown SF Costco is akin to a bumper car ride (having lived in SF you just attribute it to city life). Just curious if people experience this in more blue collar areas of the Sacramento region... For example, I live in Rancho Cordova and people are more likely to apologize for bumping into you while shopping there as opposed to shopping in some upscale areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdev View Post
Sacramento is not orange county I'll give you that, but calling roseville redneck is a bit far fetched. Perhaps you meant to say that Roseville (sac in general) doesn't offer all the diversity of restaurants, shopping and entertainment than LA. That's more accurate. Your assessment of bad drivers in SAC isn't very true. I've driven in the LA area and San Diego area many times. I can tell you driving in busy traffic in southern CA is the worst. People are rude, they never use their turn signals (well thats CA in general) and they will not let you merge into traffic.

You sound pretty young. I would think you would prefer living in mid town than roseville. Roseville is more white middle class conservative families. Midtown is more of the hip urban stuff and lots of things for the twenty/thirty something to do. Ironically though, Roseville still has the better retail shopping than downtown. The roseville galleria is the best mall in the area if you want to find something comparable to the fashion Island mall etc.
Unfortunately, using turn signals in urban areas of CA causes drivers to speed up. Its the same thing in Sac however one unusual thing I notice is if you signal well ahead of time and keep your signal on, more often than not someone will actually slow down and let you in. Try that in LA or SF... you'll be waiting a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento