Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:45 AM

762 posts, read 2,030,584 times

Advertisements

do you feel as awkward as I do using "the Kay" in a sentence? holla!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 11:44 AM

210 posts, read 269,269 times
Calling K Street "The Kay" isn't going to put businesses in the empty space, get rid of the homeless or bring new life to the "mall". To me, this sounds like some silly concept that was dreamed up by an undoubtedly expensive consultant. I just don't see the logic in it, nor to I envision the local people embracing the name change. Time will tell.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro View Post
do you feel as awkward as I do using "the Kay" in a sentence? holla!
Is that like "The 405" or "The OC?"

Old 10-22-2012, 06:16 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Or "The Haight" or "The Castro." Or "The City."

icametodropbombs: It was in fact dreamed up by an expensive consultant. The original idea was a way to package the neighborhood to solicit businesses to move to K Street--in order to explain to potential tenants what their idea was for the district. The main criticism I have heard is "why the rebranding before there are businesses?" and the answer is "Because they originally planned the rebranding as a way to attract businesses." At some point, it appears they decided to get more out of their expensive-consultant dollar by making the rebrand a public thing, and didn't plan on actually unveiling it for a while, but then a reporter found out about it. It seems like people aren't all that uncomfortable with the "Kay" part (it used to be common to write "Kay Street" rather than just "K Street") but the "the" seems to stick in people's craw.

They aren't actually changing the name of the street, it's just signage, nor is it the only thing that DSP plans on doing. I just hope they figure out a way to get people to stop calling it "the mall," because if we want to talk about horrible rebranding ideas, the idea of turning K Street into a suburban-style shopping mall was downright terrible.

But hey, if the name catches on they can always adopt this catchy theme song:

Old 10-22-2012, 06:54 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,305,056 times
I think this will be as successful and well regarded as Take Command Pam and Take No Prisoner Randy.

Metroactive News & Issues | 'Urban Pioneers'

SacramentoUP

Old 10-22-2012, 07:11 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
That pretty much looks like a Saturday night at Barwest!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:59 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icametodropbombs View Post
Calling K Street "The Kay" isn't going to put businesses in the empty space, get rid of the homeless or bring new life to the "mall". To me, this sounds like some silly concept that was dreamed up by an undoubtedly expensive consultant. I just don't see the logic in it, nor to I envision the local people embracing the name change. Time will tell.
If the City paid a consultant they should fire the consultant for plagiarism. Historically, it wasn't uncommon to address businesses and K and J streets as, "Kay Street," or "Jay Street." Aside from that, there are better names to use. Saint Rose would be a good option. It sounds pleasant and with a little work on the park it could actually be an attractive destination. Of course, that still wouldn't take care of the problem with the smell of urine and loitering.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:57 PM

65 posts, read 127,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Is that like "The 405" or "The OC?"
nobody in SoCal says "The OC", they just say orange county

Old 10-23-2012, 10:45 AM

210 posts, read 269,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
If the City paid a consultant they should fire the consultant for plagiarism. Historically, it wasn't uncommon to address businesses and K and J streets as, "Kay Street," or "Jay Street." Aside from that, there are better names to use. Saint Rose would be a good option. It sounds pleasant and with a little work on the park it could actually be an attractive destination. Of course, that still wouldn't take care of the problem with the smell of urine and loitering.
I take the lightrail every day around K Street. When walking down K in the morning, the first thing the city does is powerwash the sidewalk and the sides of the buildings, which simply reek of urine. It seems to me that the city might want to focus some of the rebuilding effort into solving the problem of why there is urine on the walls and sidewalks instead of just treating the symptom. I think the homeless living on K Street is a major hurdle that needs to be addressed before the area turns into some kind of destination.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:22 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icametodropbombs View Post
I take the lightrail every day around K Street. When walking down K in the morning, the first thing the city does is powerwash the sidewalk and the sides of the buildings, which simply reek of urine. It seems to me that the city might want to focus some of the rebuilding effort into solving the problem of why there is urine on the walls and sidewalks instead of just treating the symptom. I think the homeless living on K Street is a major hurdle that needs to be addressed before the area turns into some kind of destination.
Submitted for your approval, a humble idea: Could public urination be good for the environment? | Grist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento