Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 01:34 PM

19 posts, read 49,184 times

Advertisements

I'm moving next year and I have weird things on my list when considering cities lol. Things Id like to know about Sacramento:
Are there a lot of bugs?
What kind of bugs are the most common?
What kind of dangerous nature type things would I find ( for example poisonous snakes or spiders)?
What is traffic like?
What are the people like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 01:54 PM

68 posts, read 109,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinem View Post
I'm moving next year and I have weird things on my list when considering cities lol. Things Id like to know about Sacramento:
Are there a lot of bugs? No, there are very few bugs in Sacramento owing to the dry climate.
What kind of bugs are the most common? That said, mosquitoes show up everyone once in awhile on a warm evening. There aren't enough of 'em to have to ever put on bug spray, but most people do have screens on the windows and doors. Bottom line: bugs are a non-issue here.
What kind of dangerous nature type things would I find ( for example poisonous snakes or spiders)?
Black widow spiders are common, but generally keep to themselves hiding in the dark corners of hot garages and places like that. Basically a non-issue.

Rattlesnakes are somewhat common in and around open space areas, especially in the suburbs where subdivisions have been built over former rattlesnake habitats. Rattlesnakes also generally keep to themselves and try to avoid humans. I've only seen 3 and I've lived here for several years. These snakes are very poisonous, but non-aggressive. If you see one, give it space to slither away and it will. Don't stick your hands under big rocks or other areas where rattlers chill in the summer, always watch your step, and you'll be fine. Learn basic safety and what to do in case of a bite, so that you'll be ready and calm in the unlikely event it happens.

Even more rare, but legitimately dangerous, are mountain lions. These big cats are spotted every once in awhile along the open space trails. Again, so rare to the point where I wouldn't worrry, but know what to do to try to fend off an attack. Walk/hike with a cell phone and friend, especially in the more remote areas.

Overall, the danger from animals are minimal, just respect their presence if hiking in areas where they live.
What is traffic like? Not as bad as LA or SF, but can still be pretty bad. My advice: live as close to your place of work as possible.
What are the people like? Diverse group in every way (racially, politically, economically) with everyone getting along reasonably well. I think overall people are friendly. Other threads probably go deeper in answering this question.
Responses above.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:45 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Are there a lot of bugs? yes
What kind of bugs are the most common? Sacramento Pest Control: Beetles, Beetle Pest Control
What kind of dangerous nature type things would I find (i.e. poisonous snakes or spiders)? Black Widows in Sacramento
Venomous Snakes of California
This includes black widows, rattlesnakes, cockroaches, etc
What is traffic like? heavy (slow) traffic on all highways during commute hours, especially the closer you get to the city core.
What are the people like? all types, liberals, conservatives, gangsters, families, friendly, unfriendly...a typical mixture

Regarding mosquitos, we also get a few cases of West Nile Disease annually, and sometimes there is spraying for them. You can find more info here: http://www.fightthebite.net/west-nile-virus/
The other thing is Valley Fever, usually found in the middle central san joaquin valley, though there have been cases in Sacramento also, see here for more info: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/healthinfo/di...domycosis.aspx

Good luck with finding a place to live without all this scary stuff.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:30 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,208,300 times
We have alot of bugs since we're located in the valley and I would say the most common are mosquitos...ESPECIALLY during the summer. I personally never seen any dangerous nature animals roaming around Sacramento, but in certain parts of Elk Grove, I heard there's coyotes in the fields.

Traffic isn't as bad as the bay or LA, but rush hour can be gruesome. However, during any other time, the traffic isn't that bad at all...even though you'll occasionally see slow ass drivers holding up the fast lanes. Also, there's a lot more traffic on 99, so if you could take hwy 5 to reach your destination, i would recommend doing so.

People are cool, i guess. There's all type of diversity in Sacramento, which was named the most diverse city back around 2006.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:06 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,036 times
Anyone who says mosquitoes (or bugs in general) are bad here hasn't lived in most other climates. I often use a couple spritzes of repellent when I'm out in the evening in the summer, but that's about it. They don't tend to ruin anyone's fun.

You may see a black widow once in a while, but they're not aggressive and bites are painful but nowhere near lethal. Rattlesnakes bite about 800 people in California per year (0.002% of the population), with only one or two deaths per year.

Traffic is bad at rush hour except compared to all the places where it's far worse. Since it's not a super high COL area, so living somewhere where you don't have to deal with a ton of traffic is not that hard to do.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:32 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times
I live in the suburbs. Mosquitos aren't bad enough to need bug spray, and generally only come out at dusk.

We have turkeys that occasionally walk down the street, skunks, raccoons, possoms, squirrels and rats. My mother used to feed almost all of those in her behind-Country Club Center house. There's coyotes along the river, and occasionally on the bike path. Oh, and alligator lizards. I hate them, but have only seen two in my whole life.

Compared with other states, we have nothing wildlife-wise. I remember living in Louisiana and between the 6-inch water bugs and snakes everywhere I generally wanted to scream.

We'd need to know where you're coming from to rate traffic. I refuse to drive in San Francisco or Los Angeles--compared to them, our traffic is fine.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:18 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinem View Post
Are there a lot of bugs?
What kind of bugs are the most common?
What is traffic like?
What are the people like?
What are cities lol?

1. Realistically, yes, considering that bugs are everywhere. Will you be bothered by them? Nope. You will see so few you might think they are non-existent.

2. In my opinion bees/wasps/yellow jackets/etc. are the most common followed by the common fly. Earwigs and silver bugs, too. Lots of daddy long-legs as well.

3. Black widows are common in California but you will rarely see one, if ever, unless you intentionally look for one...which you will then more-than-likely find. Rattle snakes are common as well and like black widows have a preference for staying out of your way. They do not attack unless cornered or provoked.

While not in the city there are mountain loins and bears in the surrounding foothills. Your chances of running into one while hiking are slim, but can happen.

4. Traffic gets pretty bad during rush hours, but is mostly limited to the freeways. Try driving through Baltimore during rush hour and you will know what I mean.

5. In my opinion people in Sacramento are more aggressive than the stereotypical "laid back" California nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento